Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,218,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Just this morning here they had on the news: about a case (someplace in southern Missouri I think, not real familiar with alot of the state) the Neosho, Mo. (small town); in August of 2007 a guy went into a Sunday church service and shot 9 people. 3 died. (it was all over the national news when it happened).
Yesterday in his court hearing, he pled "Guilty to the murder" charges (I was shocked over the news of this). WHY? Why did he plead guilty instead of the trial going on, a verdict and then the years of appeals as is always "usual", etc.???

BECAUSE- they said, he did not want to have the chance of the "death penalty being his sentence". Period.

I thought this was one of the best examples for the Death penalty being kept on the books for murders.
Not only did he confess, but it was over bam- just like that.

(we've had several cases like this or end with a guilty plea, due to the Death possibility in the past few years, Yet I think it's been maybe 5 years that I remember hearing of the Death sentence being carried out here?)

IF the sentence laws were just for life in prison (with or without chance of parole), well, I doubt he would have said a peep.
And we'd be (taxpayers) paying for this trial and any appeals that follow, even without a death sentence (some still challenge the courts with no death penalty, just very long or life sentences)

I'd say in this case the Death penalty WORKED. Even if that was not the result.

This was a horrible case of murder, a slaughter of humans and in church.

Just thought I'd pass this timely case on, in this thread, some thing else to ponder, another aspect.

Tia Dalma
Yes, Neosho is a small town only about 20 miles or so from where we live. We actually thought about looking at property there, but decided we didn't want to go any further north than where we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,096,150 times
pencilin: Many of those who commit crimes are of the opinion that they won't be caught, so the punishment doesn't apply at all as a deterrent. After all, if they thought they'd be caught, they wouldn't commit the crime.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:52 PM

21 posts, read 46,194 times
Tia Dalma'

That is another excellent reason to at least have the death penalty on the books. It is the only sentence that really scares convicted killers. Are they scared of a sentence to Club New Mexico, where the state spends $40,000 a year to house each inmate? I don't think so.
Richardson will pay a price for his hasty decision to ease the penalty for murder. Toney Anaya, who commuted the sentences of everyone on death row, left office with approval ratings lower than George W. , around 12 % . Has NM ever executed an innocent person in the last 50 years? None that I know of.

Another question about life without parole. How many of those sentences can one person accumulate? If one is sentenced to life without parole and kills a guard while in prison , does he get another life sentenced tacked on? Will the message be: this time we REALLY mean it !

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiaman View Post
Tia Dalma'

That is another excellent reason to at least have the death penalty on the books. It is the only sentence that really scares convicted killers. Are they scared of a sentence to Club New Mexico, where the state spends $40,000 a year to house each inmate? I don't think so.
Richardson will pay a price for his hasty decision to ease the penalty for murder. Toney Anaya, who commuted the sentences of everyone on death row, left office with approval ratings lower than George W. , around 12 % . Has NM ever executed an innocent person in the last 50 years? None that I know of.

Another question about life without parole. How many of those sentences can one person accumulate? If one is sentenced to life without parole and kills a guard while in prison , does he get another life sentenced tacked on? Will the message be: this time we REALLY mean it !
that is one of the scary thoughts. Of course he would, but what would that mean???
\
Nita

Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,797,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is one of the scary thoughts. Of course he would, but what would that mean???
\
Nita
The scariest thought is that "Life Without Parole" could be changed by some politician down the line.

The only way I'd be comfortable with it is that a lifer is just that...a lifer, with no possibility of anybody down the line being able to change it.

But we know that will never happen.

I'll be glad when Richardson is out of office. I just hope that we don't get someone worse.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 31,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
pencilin: Many of those who commit crimes are of the opinion that they won't be caught, so the punishment doesn't apply at all as a deterrent. After all, if they thought they'd be caught, they wouldn't commit the crime.
I occasionally watch forensic files on what used to be court tv, and find it amazing how criminologists break cold cases of homicide. I would guess there are many ignorant people in the world who thinkthey might have committed the perfect crime, and also think they can get away with murder, but with modern science, nothing short of being caught is within the realm of possibily. I know something of modern science technology and am in disbelief that someone might think they'll never ever be caught up with. the wheels of justice do turn slowly, but people can rest assured, they sure as heck don't stop.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM

I am livid, look at the 4 cops shot yesterday in Oakland, Ca. three have died, a forth is fighting for his life...I do not know if the killer ever murdered anyone but he had a long criminal record....Thank God he is dead now as well, who knows, maybe he would have just been sentenced to life...

Nita

Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM

655 posts, read 1,327,262 times
Bad news for NM. Crime here is bad enough, and I totally question the validity of those studies that say the death penalty is not a deterrant, itt absolutely is a deterrant to some degree.

One more nail in the coffin of scammy sleazy Richardson. Hasn't the public had enough of this guy?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 PM

23 posts, read 31,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Bad news for NM. Crime here is bad enough, and I totally question the validity of those studies that say the death penalty is not a deterrant, itt absolutely is a deterrant to some degree.

One more nail in the coffin of scammy sleazy Richardson. Hasn't the public had enough of this guy?
fortunately, richardson cannot seek re-election, term limit.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,313,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post

I used to like Bill, til this happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico