Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,592,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Like I said in a previous post, if you're interested in following up on this, please do it and if not, please don't turn it into an argument.
I thought it was a discussion, I had no intent of creating an argument.

Out.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,604,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I thought it was a discussion, I had no intent of creating an argument.

Out.

Rich
IMO, if you post a bill on this forum, it is fair game for debate.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,297,928 times
Rich and Vinegaroon:

I love debates and a good argument too but I see this thread as serious and didn't want the mods to say it was turning into an argument and shut it down.

Not being harsh toward anybody so please understand that.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,763,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It was a woman, she did get burned, it was a McDonalds here in Albuquerque, all she wanted was her medical expenses, McDonalds more or less tried to brush her off, so she took the case to court, during the trial it was discovered that the McDonalds had been cited several times in the past for violating city code by serving dangerously hot coffee. It was "A jury of her peers" which determined the judgement.

I have been on jury duty several times. An interesting experience...

Rich
I bet every drop spilled was while in a moving vehicle. Awkward stupidity pays off well.

If it was consumed at a table, it would be less likely that this would happen.

It should boil down to common sense whether these lawsuits should go forward or not.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
SONG - Has the water district tried a counter suit for harrassment and/or tried to recover its legal fees? Has this individual ever won one of his suits?

That million bucks could have been better spent on pipes and pumps.
He won a case for about 6000 bucks and there has not been a countersuit for harrassment because we would have to hire lawyers continuously and it wouldn't stop him anyway.
The money can be better spent improving our area that needs a lot of improvement to replace the water tanks, etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,316,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Problem is, how do you define a "frivolous lawsuit?" I would think that means a case with absolutely no merit. Just because someone brings a case and does not win, that does not mean a case is frivolous. Think back to the McDonalds coffee case. Many thought that was a frivolous lawsuit. However, the evidence in that trial showed that the coffee could produce 3rd degree burns in seconds, and that before the lawsuit, around 700 customers had been burned. The person that brought the case tried to settle for much less than eventually was won, but McDonalds would have none of it, even though the Plaintiff had spent more than a week in a hospital and had to undergo surgeries due to their scalding brew.

That's my problem with a frivolous lawsuit bill. It is going to be very tough to determine what a frivolous lawsuit is until after a trial, and most cases don't go to trial.
I'll say this, I have purchased coffee at McD's in the past, and it IS DEFINITELY scalding hot. if I hit a bump in my jeep, and spilled some on my privates, (stop laughing now) and it burned them, I'd sue their asses off too. coffee does not need to be scalding hot. it is the same rule for showers. more modern shower heads now have built in thermal limiters so a person doesn't get scalded by hot water in the shower, in the event some moron turned the hot water heater too high. my 2 cents

Old 03-15-2009, 01:40 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,042,973 times
highdesertmutz said:

> ... if I hit a bump in my jeep, and spilled some on my privates, ...

If you are driving down the road with a liquid that you know to
be scalding hot between your legs you deserve to have your
privates scalded. So did the others.

> (stop laughing now)

Sorry. That's too funny of a picture for me to shut up.

> I'd sue their asses off too.

With a volatile temper like yours, I'm not surprised.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,316,331 times
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh yes, neutered by a scalding hot cup of coffee purchased at my favorite greaseburger joint, I love it. temper? must be the 1/5 cherokee indian showing. only idiots DM other people saying how they're dissatisfied over how many threads someone else starts. like I could give a rats as*.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,153,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
He won a case for about 6000 bucks
Either the district defaulted (ok, fine, take the loss), had inept legal representation, an inept/corrupt judge, or really did something wrong. This doesn't sound like it meets the burden for vexatious to me.

Still, I'd strongly support capping an individual to five civil complaints per five years per jurisdiction, or rather, a court fee of $100k per additional over that number.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm not sure what the case was that he won 6000 bucks for and that was probably a legitimate case (I don't know)but the rest of his cases are vexatious and he (and others like him) need to be stopped.
My sig. other is the secretary of the water board now and to let you know how this man and his brother are, they can threaten to sue him because he's new to this area and they don't like newbies or something else as stupid as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico