Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 24,900 times

Advertisements

I've lived in a lot of different states and NM is the most tolerant that I've been in. I'm blond/blue and turn red in the sun, but when I took one of my much darker skinned students on a field trip, no one thought a thing about it and every one assumed I was his mom! That would not have happened in many other places that I lived, and if it had, there would have been that awkward disapproval. This is a great place when it comes to racial issues. People just have bigger things to worry about. If I had one complaint, it would be that I wish I spoke Spanish, to fit in a little better, but I don't think color has much to do with how people are treated here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
Yeah I actually love the area I'm living right now. Low crime, small city / suburban area with some very interesting places and good diversity within driving distance. I don't need to live in a mostly black area, but I do like a good mix if possible.

The only reason why I'm thinking of moving is the snow and cold, and the fact that winter seems to last so long here.

Thanks for those tips. Sounds like it'd make a good vacation even if I don't move. Would Old Town Albuquerque also be a good spot to live for reasonable prices, or is it more of a tourist thing?
I actually liked everything about kenosha, except the weather of course. Had to move due to health reasons, and ended up here in the city of Truth or Consequences.

Going from a population of well over 85,000 to a small city of only about 7,500 was a bit of a shock. What we noticed most was that the selection and variety of merchandise such as groceries, and hard tangible goods is limited to what is at hand or available here.

We were becoming accustomed to driving 70 miles to Las Cruces, which has bigger and better stores. Now that the town council finally approved the opening of the new WalMart store in T or C, we now make less trips to fulfill our wants and needs.

Since I myself was born and raised in Chicago, and have been around a few places in New Mexico, of course I'm a caucasian, and probably wouldn't know if someone of diversity were discriminated against, I've never seen any open acts of racism in my experiences here. New Mexico might have a larger percentage of Hispanic Americans than Illinois or Wisconsin, but the Black American percentage of population might be lower than the two states mentioned here. But, I don't think you will have any problems with adaptation. In the city of Truth or Consequences, we do have several Black Americans around, one middle aged gentleman works at Bullock's Grocery, and several other younger male and female are working at WalMart. Since I was born and raised in diverity, I acknowledge my neighbors, whatever walk of life they're from, with a friendly hello and sometimes a shake. We're all in a big fish bowl here, and get along well, or, shall I say dry desert bowl.
So, come on out, check us out, we'd like to have you. good luck! mutz.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,310,579 times
Enjoy!

YouTube - Marvin Gaye "What's Going On / What's Happening Brother"

Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 PM

58 posts, read 87,541 times
Thanks Highdesertmutz! So sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellingaround View Post
I've lived in a lot of different states and NM is the most tolerant that I've been in. I'm blond/blue and turn red in the sun, but when I took one of my much darker skinned students on a field trip, no one thought a thing about it and every one assumed I was his mom! That would not have happened in many other places that I lived, and if it had, there would have been that awkward disapproval. This is a great place when it comes to racial issues. People just have bigger things to worry about. If I had one complaint, it would be that I wish I spoke Spanish, to fit in a little better, but I don't think color has much to do with how people are treated here.
Travellingaround, that really is cool. It's wonderful when people readily accept the idea of families being different shades and colors. I've also felt that way about culture too. Culture should be a shared thing among all sorts of people, and not something inextricably associated with the concept of "race". I'm trying to learn some Spanish but I don't know if I can get the "R" down. But I do love a lot of the music, so that should help me.

6 Foot 3,

I think I'd be lucky to be in any part of NM. But if I can get to a place with relatively light snow and summers that don't hit the upper 90s and 100+ too often, that's probably the best balance for me. I think I'm leaning toward Albuquerque or somewhere near there, because of the jobs. I don't have any strong trade at this time, so I'll need all the opportunities I can get! But I'm also looking at some career study options right now. I have a friend who successfully relocated to a different region of the country by transferring to a WalMart. So I guess her success has emboldened me to give it a shot.

If the folks on this forum are any indication, New Mexico seems to be a warm, friendly, and all-around cool place.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
6 Foot 3,

I think I'd be lucky to be in any part of NM. But if I can get to a place with relatively light snow and summers that don't hit the upper 90s and 100+ too often, that's probably the best balance for me. I think I'm leaning toward Albuquerque or somewhere near there, because of the jobs. I don't have any strong trade at this time, so I'll need all the opportunities I can get! But I'm also looking at some career study options right now. I have a friend who successfully relocated to a different region of the country by transferring to a WalMart. So I guess her success has emboldened me to give it a shot.
Then from everything you've implied as an interest i'd look at Los Lunas about 15 minutes south of albuquerque as your close enough to employment schools, shopping etc and yet far enough away to have that small town feel.

6/3

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,633 times
Thank you. The responses to your questions helped me. I am an African American male psychotherapist in my 70s and looking for a place to retire. .....robert

Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,441,093 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for all the encouraging and informative posts so far. New Mexico sounds pretty great. Of course no place is perfect or completely free of racism, but it's good to know it isn't a big deal in NM. I can work with that.

6/3,

I'll probably check out Albuquerque as the most likely place for me to move, but I'll look into Hobbs, Clovis, and Alamogordo too. It's good to know there is a bit of black history in the state too.

Riverdog,

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I'll probably want to move to a smallish town somewhere around Albuquerque as well. Coming from Kenosha I'm more used to life in a smaller city nearby a big city. So I think that might suit me nicely. I totally agree that the radio guy should get a reprimand instead of losing his job. Insensitive remarks aren't cool, but I don't think it should cost someone their job unless it's a blatantly extreme case where they clearly intended to do harm.

mortimer,

My move is still quite a ways off, so I can probably do the initial visit next winter. I'm sure it'd be an improvement, considering that it's still below freezing where I live now, as we enter Spring.

Hobbs? Clovis? Don't. Just saying...They are to put it diplomatically very 'small towns' and, well, to be as polite as possible, have issues. I live in Las Cruces, am AA, and have traveled throughout the state. I've been here for more than 30 years.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM

154 posts, read 343,646 times
Altho the suggestion re: Los Lunas is a few years old, it happens that just this weekend I spent some time in Bernalillo, then drove down I-25 (and through Los Lunas) on my way back to Alamogordo, and I thought: if I had to decide between living in Bernalillo to the north of ABQ and Los Lunas to the south, which would I choose?

I'd do some more investigation of Los Lunas, to give it a fair trial, but my leaning would definitely be toward Bernalillo. It has a real town center and a long-established residential area around that town center. It's not only close to ABQ, but also close to Jemez area for recreation (albeit crowded like crazy in high season), Santa Fe, and other points of interest. There seems to be a real town feel there. If I were a commuter, the scenery between Bernalillo and ABQ is nice.

(It also has a new residential area farther out on 550 that doesn't appeal to me, but might to others.)

The landscape between Los Lunas and ABQ is, sadly, a little depressing, not the least of which is due to the disquieting number of descansos on that leg of the interstate. The little I've been through Los Lunas which, to be fair, hasn't been much, is a sea of bland. I tend to hear negative things about the quality of life in LL, but I don't know if these perceptions have much basis in reality.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM

65 posts, read 153,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzurie View Post
Altho the suggestion re: Los Lunas is a few years old, it happens that just this weekend I spent some time in Bernalillo, then drove down I-25 (and through Los Lunas) on my way back to Alamogordo, and I thought: if I had to decide between living in Bernalillo to the north of ABQ and Los Lunas to the south, which would I choose?

I'd do some more investigation of Los Lunas, to give it a fair trial, but my leaning would definitely be toward Bernalillo. It has a real town center and a long-established residential area around that town center. It's not only close to ABQ, but also close to Jemez area for recreation (albeit crowded like crazy in high season), Santa Fe, and other points of interest. There seems to be a real town feel there. If I were a commuter, the scenery between Bernalillo and ABQ is nice.

(It also has a new residential area farther out on 550 that doesn't appeal to me, but might to others.)

The landscape between Los Lunas and ABQ is, sadly, a little depressing, not the least of which is due to the disquieting number of descansos on that leg of the interstate. The little I've been through Los Lunas which, to be fair, hasn't been much, is a sea of bland. I tend to hear negative things about the quality of life in LL, but I don't know if these perceptions have much basis in reality.
I second Bernalillo.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:09 PM

58 posts, read 87,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watachi738 View Post
Thank you. The responses to your questions helped me. I am an African American male psychotherapist in my 70s and looking for a place to retire. .....robert
I'm glad it helped. I ended up moving to Atlanta some years ago instead (although it may be a bit more cliche lol). But I may end up moving again soon for a change, and I certainly would still like to visit New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico