Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:02 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Sorry about this guy, I have optic neuritis so reading his posts was a no, no (no breaks too many caps) for me but I could see how a lot of people were entertained by him.

I forayed over to the politic forums to check this mess out and WOW I ran out of that place as quick as my cyber legs would carry me. We have political discussion on some other forums I belong to, but they're tame (and respectful) compared to that place. The venom and hyperbole run thick over there.
That's why I stay away from the political forum, even during the month prior to the election. There is enough ventum (spelling) on these boards when we get into the who is right and who is wrong, I don't need anything more.

Nita

Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,113,556 times
Political forums are just a place for us to pretend that we are politicians and sling mud. No one's thinking is changed, they just become more embittered and set in their ways.

Being a moderator is a fairly thankless task. I'm one on another site, and it's not easy to placate the inhabitants. But someone has to do it.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 PM

18,178 posts, read 25,734,844 times
Catman is right. It IS a thankless job. And its not that the moderators get paid for it either. Thankfully the threads that got locked here were just regarding snakes. But the snakes snither on other forums other than city-data. That's why I just limit it to Record Collectors Guild, Pro Football Talk.com., and City-Data.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-21-2009 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: deletion

Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM

405 posts, read 1,332,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

That's one of the reasons that I think there should be a 'cooling-off-period' after joining before a person can post. People should lurk for a while.

Personally, I think he should have taken the hint (like the rest of us) when the threads we were spatting in kept getting shut down. That should be a neon sign to "keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself". And well...that would be MY opinion.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,297,928 times
I appreciate most of the posts in the NM forum as they're informative and me being the animal lover that I am, I still need to be educated on wildlife, snakes and spiders.
Forums like the politics and relationships forums are too whiney and hateful and I have a tendency to be that way myself if being challenged so I stay far, far away.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:04 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,005,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
"keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself". And well...that would be MY opinion.
Hmmm. Interesting format for a *discussion* board.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,738,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I appreciate most of the posts in the NM forum as they're informative and me being the animal lover that I am, I still need to be educated on wildlife, snakes and spiders.
Forums like the politics and relationships forums are too whiney and hateful and I have a tendency to be that way myself if being challenged so I stay far, far away.
I actually enjoy discussing politics, but I rarely do so on any forum because it
only takes one real, dedicated-to-the-task jerk to ruin everything and one
of the basic truths about forums is that the jerks always show up so what's
the point? However I have seen a few people make some very dramatic turns
in their beliefs based on factual discussions that slowly made them realize that
their long-held assumptions didn't really stand up to scrutiny.

But that was a very small number compared to those who wanted to be like
zoo monkeys and fling stuff everywhere...

FWIW, I occasionally browse the City-Data Mexico forum, but other than the
three New Mexico based ones, that's it for City-Data. There are other fourms
that I keep tabs on, including a couple that I started years ago, but my
online involvement seems to steadily lessen from year to year.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Many write that they cannot imagine what got him banned. I don't know, but I can guess. I looked at some of his work on the immigration forum plus recalling some of his posts here in NM and can easily see how he could get in trouble. Mostly, he was just 'salty,' but he could get angry.

Here is a post that they *didn't* delete:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...ml#post7813013

In any case, I think people should get warnings rather than getting kicked off. For many people this is their first experience in participating in such a forum.

That's one of the reasons that I think there should be a 'cooling-off-period' after joining before a person can post. People should lurk for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hmmm. Interesting format for a *discussion* board.
A *discussion* board should not include comments like the ones state before such as "you have a mental disorder and should seek councel" or personal attacks.
A *discussion* board should also not include attacks about ones knowledge, integrity or experience in life.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Also...that would be why I said thats MY opinion. You take things to litterally.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
I do not resent PK for just entertaining us but I do have a high disregard for censorship ***.
Apparently you have not read the TOS, have you? And youre also calling out a mod which can get YOU booted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico