U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,939 times

Advertisements

There is snow!! Tucumcari, New Mexico Can you believe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM

70,123 posts, read 80,796,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He is a full grown pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier
well the pix looked like he was a Lab, now close up he looks a little different..

Nita

Old 03-28-2009, 06:33 PM

7,509 posts, read 16,113,794 times
Yeh they were pretty blurred pics what with the snow going across the lense and whatnot.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,631,605 times
True Brian, true. After unsticking my boots for the millionth time tonight, I wondered.... NM has a lot of wind, but i've never heard of wind damage and don't recall seeing that while out there. Any idea why?

Here, our ground is red clay in parts, so my black and white horses are red and black instead. Stains too, so it takes a few washings in a bluing type shampoo to restore the color.

Can't say i'm going to miss sking into the dog lots. I become spider-like (where you at, Steve-o?) clinging to the sides to keep from falling down and throwing their food like confetti into the air. :-) I'm sure THEY wouldn't mind, though.

Beautiful dog, Brian. My brother had a Staffordshire once. He'd been used as a bait dog in the rings, poor boy. A shame too, as he had the sweetest personality and thought he was lap dog. He lived with us until he died of old age and the only thing he *killed* was a remote when my brother went out for the evening and didn't let Max go with him. :-)

Really, Towanda? Does it stay that way usually? (the road, not the low spots- my mother has spent years trying to deal with low spots in her yard- she finally gave up and concreted over them- instant patio! lol)

Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,838,926 times
We have dirt roads -- they get muddy in the winter whenever snow melts and in the summer when the monsoons hit.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 AM

7,509 posts, read 16,113,794 times
Wind causes allot of damage here. Has a tendency to sandblast your vehicles too You should check out what the wind has done to some of our old buildings roofs. We had a light post blow down last year too, which is the first I have seen since I got here.

Staffs have a bad history but it did help develop the dogs we have today. My friend had an American Pitbull Terrier that was the son of a fighting mother and father. Was a fantastic dog with people and the neighborhood dogs which roamed around. Both breeds have a horrible reputation which is unwarranted.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
We have dirt roads -- they get muddy in the winter whenever snow melts and in the summer when the monsoons hit.

I saw all the dust blowing across the county roads in Moriarty. I guess I assumed that the moisture at times other than monsoon season evaporated or was sucked into the earth before much mud could form.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wind causes allot of damage here. Has a tendency to sandblast your vehicles too You should check out what the wind has done to some of our old buildings roofs. We had a light post blow down last year too, which is the first I have seen since I got here.

Staffs have a bad history but it did help develop the dogs we have today. My friend had an American Pitbull Terrier that was the son of a fighting mother and father. Was a fantastic dog with people and the neighborhood dogs which roamed around. Both breeds have a horrible reputation which is unwarranted.

I guess i'm more used to seeing large numbers of trees down (we have a lot of pines here- spindly and tall and ready to snap at a moment's notice) as evidence- that or property damage.

I agree about the dogs. And sometimes when you give evidence that differs from the general consensus, you get stupid comments regarding the rarity of your experience.

Y'all's weather manifested here as more danged rain and chilly temps. Tonight's low is supposed to be in the 30s, after being no colder than the 50s at night for a while now.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,523,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I saw all the dust blowing across the county roads in Moriarty. I guess I assumed that the moisture at times other than monsoon season evaporated or was sucked into the earth before much mud could form.
Torrance county roads can get pretty hairy when wet. It might clear up in a few days but if you can't sit tight, you might be cursing the mud.

It really depends on who is doing the road maintenance. I have a friend who lives in a neighborhood near me that has rather nice homes in it. The roads are private and the HOA has to vote on how to keep them maintained. There has been a dispute so right now, they are mostly dirt. When it gets wet, its a mess in there. I was fishtailing in the mud at about 10mph driving through there one day in my FWD minivan - the traction control feature stayed on almost the entire time.

Conversely, in my neighborhood, town maintained, we have a very solid layer of gravel and, while you still get dirty, the mud is not slippery or sticky for driving.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks, Lisdol. I forget, which area of the EM are you in? Greg and I both drive 4wd trucks, so we can get through- it might not be pretty, but we can do it, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico