U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,777,228 times
If it takes you a few days in Socorro to look at houses, you seriously need to hit the accelerator a little harder. It's not tiny, but a day and a half, or less, is about all you'd need, I'd think. That is, unless, you count the entire county.

Dirt bikes & High clearance vehicles.. there is a mud bog competition, and there's a link to the NMTORC on that page; probably a good place to start from two time zones away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-12-2010, 01:45 PM

11,806 posts, read 12,521,333 times
Zoidberg: Well, he did say "...and driving around the area". I certainly would want to spend more than a day and a half in place I was considering moving to, just to get a feel for it. I hope to get out there this year to do just that.

Happy new year to everyone, and may we all find what we're looking for.

Unread 05-08-2011, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 17,902 times
Default Is Stage Door still open?

Sounds like Stage Door Tavern is the "happening" place in Socorro. We will be visiting NM for the second straight summer. Last year we only stopped in Socorro for lunch on the way to VLA and were impressed by the small town feel- plus it has a WalMart a (pre-requisite for the OL)and what seemed like a nice bike shop-though it was closed the day we were there. We are scouting out retirement possibilities. We will spend a coupla days there this year and wanted to check if this was still open since the post is two years old.

Thanks

Unread 05-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Towanda:My itch to come out to Socorro and look around is getting stronger every day. I didn't expect the scenery to be so impressive; I can hardly wait to see it for myself. GregW, I hope we are neighbors out there some day!

Did you happen to notice the night sky and how dark it was? I'm an amateur astronomer and am very interested in moving to a place that is good for that. Since the 'Enchanted Skies Star Party' is held near Socorro, it must be good!

Unread 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM

125 posts, read 99,531 times
bicyclelarry,

I didn't check out Socorro on my way down to T or C as time was short, but if the other half needs a Walmart you better check plan to check it out. I have discovered they are not created equal!!

I've been to Walmarts serving communities this size many times but they are like palaces compared to the one here in T or C. It's very small, shelves are usually half bare and the selection is lousy. I've been doing site to store and web shopping at Target for other basics I left behind in the move. I think I'll have to go back to the way I shopped for groceries and other basic needs 6-7 years ago. I'd drive to a bigger city about once a month and stock up.

I guess that'll be one way to see more of the State.

Unread 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,877,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzherenow View Post
I'd drive to a bigger city about once a month and stock up.

I guess that'll be one way to see more of the State.
You'll be MUCH happier going to Las Cruces - the second largest city in the state - rather than Socorro. While the stores aren't concentrated in a large mall as in other sizable cities, it's still not hard getting around in L.C. There is a mall, but it's old 1970-80 vintage, one level, and easily accessible from IH-25. For long-term grocery (etc) needs, there is a Sam's as well as a Walmart Superstore (plus Target and other chains). It's the same distance to L. C. as it is to Socorro - right at 75 mi. or an hour at the 75mph speed limit.

Unread 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Actually I thought Las Cruces was a bit closer than Socorro. I figured I'd probably have to head down there for one of my doctors anyway.

One of these days I'll have to actually read the instructions for the gps I purchased right before we moved down here. I usually manage to get it to find what I'm looking for, but it can take a while as I don't really know how to use it.

Gosh, that sounds like something a male would do.

Now if I could only get my daughter to come out of her bedroom and explore with me.

Unread 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM

44 posts, read 81,247 times
Default Distance to Cruces versus Socorro from TorC

Nope, it must be really close to half way. We lived in Socorro a total of 17 years (in several different periods) and have lived in Las Cruces about 3.5 years now. We have traveled I-25 between Socorro, TorC, and Cruces many times.

I agree with joqua that Las Cruces probably will be a better destination for shopping than Socorro. If we still lived in Socorro we would be traveling to Albuquerque at least once a month. Down here in Cruces, we have never once traveled to El Paso (a shorter trip than SOC to ABQ) for shopping or anything else, other than the airport and one time in a moment of weakness to an Indian restaurant on the north side of EP.

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzherenow View Post
Actually I thought Las Cruces was a bit closer than Socorro.

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info, Chuck. I still have a lot to learn as I've only been in NM 2 weeks now.

Unread 05-10-2011, 12:38 AM

Las Cruces is about 10 times Socorro's population, isn't it? Small wonder that it's better for shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico