Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times

Advertisements

How about us wild animals howling tonight?
You all be prepared to feed me a nice juicy steak if I show up at your house tonight; oh and some chocolate too would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
How about us wild animals howling tonight?
You all be prepared to feed me a nice juicy steak if I show up at your house tonight; oh and some chocolate too would be nice.
Steak Rare, Chocolate with vanilla (Blue Bell) ice cream on top!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Wow, you're good.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Very bad idea!!! Coyotes can drag off a new born 60# calf, while fighting the mother off. Think what they could too to a kid. You should call Animal Control if you see wild animals in tht city.
Actually... Animal Control should be called IF and only if there are no wildlife rescue/relocation/education centers in the immediate area or Fish and Wildlife resources.
Furthermore, the majority (and thats a high majority) of animal removal services destroy of the animal once they have contained it.
As for the coyotes being friendly. That is where my origional comment on this blog comes into play. When we continue to feed these animals they become more and more friendly and assocaite humans with food. How are we going to know when these animals are ill (and a real threat, possibly contageous) to us if we continue to expose them to human nature?
Anyone seen "When Animals Attack" on TV? Recently they aired a story about a woman who was brutally attacked by a FOX while jogging. These animals can be dangerous and we are increasing that danger when we bring them closer and closer.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 PM

PS-- I just re-read my post. I don't mean that animal control should NOT be called..but there are other resources that have more knowledge when dealing with wildlife and they should be contacted first.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Wow, I have friends here in El Paso that were just talking about feeding coyotes that were literally near a Burger King parking lot. They said the coyotes seemed friendly?? Anyone have a similar experience.
I would be very, very cautious of any wild animal that seemed friendly.

People around there must be feeding the coyotes, bad idea.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM

I remember seeing a show about a man being attacked by a fox at his house. The fox had ahold of his leg and wouldn't let go.
It might have been the same show you saw.
When we went to ELPaso a little over a month ago, we saw a few coyotes nearby wandering around.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,175 times
Default Coyotes

Here in Tempe, AZ we see a few coyotes real late at night walking the streets looking for I assume cats and dogs when we are in a drought. Luckily all the reservoirs are full now and we don't have to worry about it. We are right next to Phoenix and the mountains are 20 miles or more away. It just tells you when wild animals are desperate they will do just about anything to survive.

We will be in Ruidoso in 2 weeks for 5 nights to work on our place and enjoy the cool mountain air. Can't wait to get to New Mexico. We can make the trip in about 4 hours. We will fly into El Paso (about an hour flight) rent a car and drive up the hill. Ye hah! Can't wait to be in New Mexico again.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
It just tells you when wild animals are desperate they will do just about anything to survive.
Perfectly said.

The fox show was where a girl was jogging in the mountains and was attacked. She was unable to get it off her, and had to kill it and left it attached to her til she got to the ER!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:16 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Just FYI, about a month ago we put out a backyard bird-feeder in our house near
the Petroglyphs and we're going through 12-15 lbs of oiled sunflower seeds a week.
I think we're now the Salvation Army Soup Kitchen for all Westside birds.
From dawn to dusk we always have 6-8 at a minimum and often 20 or more.

Finches, some sort of robin-like bird, doves and (sadly) the occasional pigeon.
(Look, I grew up just outside of DC, I HATE pigeons.. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico