Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the New Mexico section need an "Off Topic" thread?
Yes! 18 62.07%
No way! 9 31.03%
I'm so confused! I can't decide! 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times

Advertisements

What tecpatl said.

Lots of times there is thread drift, but generally, when it gets out of hand, someone gently reminds the OP that they are drifting.

We have threads about howling at the moon and """"Hi!""" <Snort!>

I don't think anyone really expects them to be or stay all that serious.

I would hate to have to keep my smart-aleck comments to only one thread.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I think a chat thread is sort of a good idea, however, there are some, including myself who have gone overboard and called people names or attacked their point of view. When this happens, the thread is usually shut down. If a thread turns into a political discussion, you'd see various disagreements where nothing will be resolved short of locking it up.

Devil's advocate, good idea/bad idea.
When a thread turns into a bunch of name calling it needs to be closed... A person looking to relocate doesn't need to wander into a thread where a bunch of locals are calling each other hyenas.

Quote:
Please don't do too much "housecleaning", we like some of the threads presently going.
Not a chance. I'm talking about a little light dusting, not tearing down any walls.

Quote:
I like doing the T or C happenings and my T or C jobs threads because if anyone really, really gets fed up with their sante fe, farmington, or albuquerque jobs, or high crime rates, they might look here for a nice smaller town to relocate to. Plus there are some relocation threads I think should be kept in place just in case someone want's to relocate to New Mexico from another state.
Good! There is nothing wrong with those kind of threads!! As long as the information pertains to NM and relocation advice rather than a long rambling dissertation full blatant misinformation (or so heavily slanted with personal opinion that the "advice" falls flat. ) I see no reason for you to stop.

----------------------------------------

To all: The offer of an off topic section is entirely up to you! It isn't meant as a precursor to any sweeping changes, just a friendly addition. If you take peek at some of the other State "chattin' " threads you will see that they do ramble, get silly, spin in circles and get confusing at times but most people do enjoy them.

And it doesn't take away or change any of the "stand alone" threads. (Most) of you all LIVE in NM, so any threads about your Gardens, Horses, Personal Experiences etc. are still "On Topic"

What's wrong with a thread about "Howling at the Moon" ?? If that's something that NM residents do then it is still "On Topic"

Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I have several objections to a chit chat thread, the main three being:

1. If the thread is a sticky at the top of every New Mexico page all the time, then won't it bump off either the NM picture thread or the restaurant thread (both of which I think are extremely valuable to the outreach of the forum) ... it was my understanding there can only be two sticky threads at the top of each forum. Am I right about that?

2. My other concern is that IF we have a sticky chatty thread ongoing at all times, there will STILL be a lot of chit chat and off topic stuff being posted on every other thread. It's the nature of a discussion board. So NOW we would just have MORE places for chatty stuff and less focus on what I consider the purpose of the New Mexico forum, which is giving people information and asking/answering questions about the state, which I find to be a highly valuable purpose for this site.

3. We have had slim moderator coverage here at the New Mexico forum for a long time; a chit chat thread has the potential for a lot of flaming and inappropriate stuff being posted, a chance for lots of disagreement and arguments and trolls and flames. Who will be monitoring the stuff posted and taking action if necessary on a daily basis? (I am not interested in seeing my political or religious or personal views mocked or criticized on a chat thread anymore than I like to see it on any other thread here at C-D.)

Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Towanda, look at some of the other states such as Texas, San Antonio for example. The sticky's such as pictures and chats stay at the top all the time.
Most of the time San Antonion's talked about the weather and what was going on around the city.
I did see a few times where it got off on religion and politics but that gets boring after awhile because we all have different opinions and someone changes the subject eventually.
I personally don't care what anyone talks about.
If I don't like the subject, I'll stay away from it and won't read it or I'll bring up something else.
I don't see any reason why trolls would come into our chat room and stay.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I would hate to have to keep my smart-aleck comments to only one thread.

I couldn't bear the sense of deprivation if that occured..

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
I agree with Towanda.

An off-topic sticky thread will soon die off because few will bother with it for
a couple reasons;

You can't get a quick eye-ball scan for topics that might interest you

There is no continuity of subject

All the whack cases will rapidly learn that they aren't getting any attention there
and will revert to the main forum almost instantly.

So what's the point?

In addition, I'm not sure there is any problem in need of a cure, anyway..

Uh, in case you couldn't guess, I voted "No"...

Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
No as well.

Micro-manage much?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Moderator:

What is the criteria for how many votes in this poll constitute a consensus that such a thread is needed?

If the yes vote is one more than the no votes, is that a strong indication that members want such a thread?

I would like to hear our moderator EnjoyEP's thoughts on this.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
What happened to EnjoyEP?
LadyRobyn, are you our new mod.?

I think that some of you that voted no on the poll should go to some of the other state forums and read what they're posting.
Really, it's not bad. Just general everyday type conversation about what's going on in the area, people, restaurants.
I really would like to have one.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times
I okay with it. I will just stay away from it if I don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico