U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,184,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Wow!

Is their anypart of the southwest that gets a decent amount of rainfall per year?
As Pipeweld noted, Dallas can get 36 or more inches a year. North Texas, Central Texas (in normal years) and East Texas can average 36-60 inches a year, with 60 inches being down around Orange and along the LA state line.

West/South/Panhandle of Texas get much less, anything from 8-20 inches a year, depending on where you are.

I grew up in West Texas, where the average can be from 12-18 inches a year. You get used to that and the dryness and lack of humidity. One year, it rained 36 inches (3x the normal amount)...and I never got so SICK of rain in my life. 2006 was an unusually wet year for WT, and when I drove from Farmington in northwestern NM down to Austin, TX....I had never seen that much green in WT in my entire 50+ years. I think we had about 30 inches that year.

I thought we were going to grow webbed feet.

Southern New Mexico is more or less the same as far as rainfall goes.

I'd be happy if we got the norm. That is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:58 PM

18,264 posts, read 6,748,264 times
Ah so I see.

How is everyone this evening?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,726,709 times
T or C received a good long soak today. nice.
here's something to listen to

YouTube - Dee Clark - Raindrops

Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,618,726 times
Doing fine here.

Gdude, how did the job interview go?

Cathy, in 06 Timberon got over 30" in Aug and Sept. The roads were a mess. They can get as slick as snot.. And you don't have to have a big rain to get stuck..LOL

Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Doing fine here.

Cathy, in 06 Timberon got over 30" in Aug and Sept. The roads were a mess. They can get as slick as snot.. And you don't have to have a big rain to get stuck..LOL
Yep...thanks to the sticky, heavy clay soil. You may have read my tale of driving from Los Alamos to Farmington in 2007....and no 4WD...I was lucky I didn't slide down the side of the mountain....!

And to think that the highway department workers let me go on through. They probably decided they'd see if the Texas plates could make it through the mud....well, we did....5 hours later.

I can just imagine the Timberon roads with rain like that...yuck!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 PM

7,256 posts, read 16,583,766 times
Timberon roads are a huge mess when it rains but at this point, I don't care. We need rain so it can rain all it wants.
The potluck was a success tonight. Things went really well.
We're off to Belen early tomorrow morning, I probably won't log in so everyone have a safe holiday.
See ya in a few.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Timberon roads are a huge mess when it rains but at this point, I don't care. We need rain so it can rain all it wants.
The potluck was a success tonight. Things went really well.
We're off to Belen early tomorrow morning, I probably won't log in so everyone have a safe holiday.
See ya in a few.
Yep. Same here. It poured in Alamo last night, and everything looks so happy this morning. It's nice and cool at 56 degrees. I hope this means the start of monsoon (even a month early) and that we have good rain all the way through August.

Have a great trip!! Glad the potluck went well!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Doing fine here.

My interview is at 2PM EDT

Old 05-23-2009, 09:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,618,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
My interview is at 2PM EDT
Good luck... What job are you looking for?

Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Good luck... What job are you looking for?

Really any kind of job except for fast-paced places.

When I got there their was about 12 other people there and we were taken out to the square where we were told by the hiring manager that we had to come up with a song and sing it infront of everyone. So I was desperately trying to think of a song while the others started singing theirs. One sang row your boat, twinkle twinkle little star, Old McDonald..etc so I felt safe when I sang If your happy and you know it stomp your feet If they like me then I will get called for a 2nd interview in a week. Their are only 2 spots open so I hope they really liked me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or