U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,052 posts, read 11,213,216 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I agree Vista is junk. Terrible program. For my job I have two laptops one with XP and one with Vista. I use the one with XP whenever possible. I need two computers because if one goes down, even for a day, I need to have another available right away. If I don't have one available I could lose my clients very quickly.
I don't mind Vista Ultimate.....I have very little trouble with it, XP Pro or Win2K (which I just recently let go).

As I build my own desktops from scratch (ordering the motherboard, case and processor I want from Newegg), all three are fine, though they do have different quirks.

Not all of the old programs work that well on Vista, but things improved for some basic games when I loaded the video drivers for XP instead of the Vista ones.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Tempe and Ruidoso
1,067 posts, read 1,218,493 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't mind Vista Ultimate.....I have very little trouble with it, XP Pro or Win2K (which I just recently let go).

As I build my own desktops from scratch (ordering the motherboard, case and processor I want from Newegg), all three are fine, though they do have different quirks.

Not all of the old programs work that well on Vista, but things improved for some basic games when I loaded the video drivers for XP instead of the Vista ones.
It is pretty neat you can build your own. Not me! I mainly use mine for word processing (Word) and they changed all the menus in the Vista version. It slows me down. I do medical transcription and get paid by the page, so time is money.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,052 posts, read 11,213,216 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
It is pretty neat you can build your own. Not me! I mainly use mine for word processing (Word) and they changed all the menus in the Vista version. It slows me down. I do medical transcription and get paid by the page, so time is money.
I hear you on the menu changes in Word.

The last version of Word that I have installed on one XP Pro desktop is 2000....and I tried the latest demo version of Word. The changes bugged me so much that I took it off, and didn't purchase it.

I prefer Corel Wordperfect Office 3-4. It can read all of the MSFT formats, but not sure if it retains all of the formatting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Tempe and Ruidoso
1,067 posts, read 1,218,493 times
Reputation: 484
I've always liked WordPerfect better, but my clients make me use Word in case they need to make any changes. I still have WP on my computers but don't get much chance to use it. I really like the reveal codes feature.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,052 posts, read 11,213,216 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I've always liked WordPerfect better, but my clients make me use Word in case they need to make any changes. I still have WP on my computers but don't get much chance to use it. I really like the reveal codes feature.
When you have clients that use Word, you really don't have a lot of choice other than to use the same.

Fortunately, I am a retired slug that has no clients....LOL!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,630,549 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
Gdude,

Sounds like you are counting the minutes.

Any travel plans this summer?

We have a few in the works. Looks like were going to Southern Indiana-Kentucky for my birthday in a few weeks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 AM
 
Location: T or C New Mexico
2,599 posts, read 551,307 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I agree Vista is junk. Terrible program. For my job I have two laptops one with XP and one with Vista. I use the one with XP whenever possible. I need two computers because if one goes down, even for a day, I need to have another available right away. If I don't have one available I could lose my clients very quickly.
Mine is the premium home edition. Used to run win98se up until about 7 months ago, if it were compatible with all the new fangled websites, I'd still be using it. Only took me 10 years to get the bugs out of it.

this new e machine came with ms office startup, but I found out the wanted me to pay 150 bucks for the student version, they can go to hell. I bought a printmaster gold 16 program off ebay for 11 bucks, and it allows me to do letters, cards, flyers, possibly much more than the ms version of office 2000 or whatever it was they wanted me to buy. if anyone has a ms program, they probably have a love hate relationship with it, as I do.

yeah, when you're using the ms programs for your occupation, it helps if the damned thing doesn't lock up on you, you're right, time is money, and people don't need to be spending time trying to fix flaws in the ms programs while trying to earn a living at at using it.

about the only thing I really care about is downloading and editing pics, which vista and ms pic program seems to be ok for. but browsing? it stinks. especially explorer 8.0, it really sucks. maybe in the future I'll be able to afford a mac or whatever name they go by now. I've heard apples work really good with fewer problems. I'd like to slap bill gates in the chops.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 AM
 
Location: T or C New Mexico
2,599 posts, read 551,307 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
We have a few in the works. Looks like were going to Southern Indiana-Kentucky for my birthday in a few weeks.
You could visit many whiskey distilleries in kentucky. if I ever won the lottery, that what I'd do.
List of whisky brands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,630,549 times
Reputation: 5943
We will be in far Western Kentucky. Think Owensboro-Paducah.We have already planned out where and what we will be doing. Thanks for the suggestion though.



Good Morning New Mexico!

Hope everyone has a bright and sunny day!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 AM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,850,954 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
We will be in far Western Kentucky. Think Owensboro-Paducah.We have already planned out where and what we will be doing. Thanks for the suggestion though.



Good Morning New Mexico!

Hope everyone has a bright and sunny day!
Good Morning Gdude!

Well there is always the quilt museum in Paducah, and the lakes out to the south east of there. Don't know the name but there is a real great restaurant there. Waiting lines to get in. Been in that area for quilting many years.
Have fun, and Happy last day of school!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top