U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:00 AM

18,264 posts, read 6,975,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
Good morning New Mexico!

Gdude, what's happening!

Probably going to hit up the National Road Yard Sale today with some friends. almost 50 miles of garage sales that have almost anything you can think of( in my county and the next county west) The National Road Yard Sale stretches 824 miles from Baltimore,Maryland to Vandalia,Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 AM

16,199 posts, read 20,235,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Probably going to hit up the National Road Yard Sale today with some friends. almost 50 miles of garage sales that have almost anything you can think of( in my county and the next county west) The National Road Yard Sale stretches 824 miles from Baltimore,Maryland to Vandalia,Illinois.
OH, man, I wanna go!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,570,184 times
OK, Gdude and Double H, do tell what you'd buy at the NRYS.....!

I have an active hatred of yard and garage sales, LOL!! I also refused to have one when I moved, even for the money. The hassle just wasn't worth it!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM

7,270 posts, read 16,881,084 times
Have fun at the garage sales today. I can take 'em or leave 'em but like Cathy, I am way too impatient to have one and usually take the stuff I don't need anymore to the thrift stores.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
OH, man, I wanna go!
Got some pretty cool stuff. Some new clothes for me,I got a huge grill( one of them big smokers) for my mom,and some new books. all for $78 I got a huge deal on that smoker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
OK, Gdude and Double H, do tell what you'd buy at the NRYS.....!

I have an active hatred of yard and garage sales, LOL!! I also refused to have one when I moved, even for the money. The hassle just wasn't worth it!

I love Yardsales! you can find so many neat things that you've never seen before for really low prices!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Tunes! Albums! CD's! But there IS a difference between going to one and having one. Two weekends ago I saved a lot of money as this residence had a moving sale and I saved a LOT of money on everything from garden hoses to end wrenches. Not sure exactly HOW much, but a lot. For example, 50ft. heavy duty black garden hose costs $16 to $17, got it for $3. Bought various Stanley end wrenches for $1 each. When you go to Sears and want to buy a 12 inch pipe wrench, be prepared to pony up some coin! I got one for $2.

And yea, I do shop at retail stores, but guess what? The wrenches I bought were so old, they were actually stamped "made in U.S.A." Yipee, maybe I should put them on e-bay as collectibles! A month ago I went to a community radio fundraiser here in town and bought a huge stack of cd's for $20. With the exception of a couple, I sold them to a used cd store in town and got $75 in store credit for the rest of them. It was all 90's and current hip hop stuff, which I'm not into. I went back to the fundraiser the second day and bought a Thorens dj turntable, which had a nice stylus put on it. I came out way ahead. But they made money off me, and I support community radio fundraisers.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-30-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Got some pretty cool stuff. Some new clothes for me,I got a huge grill( one of them big smokers) for my mom,and some new books. all for $78 I got a huge deal on that smoker!

I love Yardsales! you can find so many neat things that you've never seen before for really low prices!
A smoker? That's cool!! So what will your mom fix?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Tunes! Albums! CD's! But there IS a difference between going to one and having one. Two weekends ago I saved a lot of money as this residence had a moving sale and I saved a LOT of money on everything from garden hoses to end wrenches. Not sure exactly HOW much, but a lot. For example, 50ft. heavy duty black garden hose costs $16 to $17, got it for $3. Bought various Stanley end wrenches for $1 each. When you go to Sears and want to buy a 12 inch pipe wrench, be prepared to pony up some coin! I got one for $2.

And yea, I do shop at retail stores, but guess what? The wrenches I bought were so old, they were actually stamped "made in U.S.A." Yipee, maybe I should put them on e-bay as collectibles! A month ago I went to a community radio fundraiser here in town and bought a huge stack of cd's for $20. With the exception of a couple, I sold them to a used cd store in town and got $75 in store credit for the rest of them. It was all 90's and current hip hop stuff, which I'm not into. I went back to the fundraiser the second day and bought a Thorens dj turntable, which had a nice stylus put on it. I came out way ahead. But they made money off me, and I support community radio fundraisers.
I guess you can find good stuff at some of them, but I thought the best stuff could be found at estate sales rather than run-of-the-mill garage sales. Sounds like you really came out ahead!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:00 PM

You ARE right about the estate sales. No doubt a lot of garage sales can be clunkers, so what I do is go to the subdivision sales in town. I keep in mind that whatever I find, I think in terms of vehicle maintenance. I can go to 12 to 15 sales a day, and car maintenance (starters, alternators, etc.) enters in the picture. Fixing the cars and keeping them road worthy costs money.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:51 PM

Hey guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or