U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,802,466 times

Advertisements

I like Si Senior and the Hacienda across from BigO Tires.
And if you get up to Cloudcroft, there's a little place called Gallos that makes a killer burrito.

I haven't been able to get a decent taco in Alamo for some reason. And nobody does the chicken taco filling right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,898,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Ruidoso has some decent places, too, so that's another option. Another Texan told me that Casa Blanca (I think that was the name of it) is good, so I'll try that the next time I'm up there. Lucy's is good, too. At least they brought me some decent salsa from the kitchen....and I asked for the hot green chile--and got just that!
I have eaten at Casa Blanca about a half dozen times. I wouldn't say it is great, but pretty good. Good enough to go back to. It is only about a half mile from our cabin. If it wasn't for all the metal in my right foot and leg I would be able to walk there from our place. Casa Blanca can get very busy and they don't take reservations unless you have a party of 6 or more. Either go at an off time or be prepared to wait. They have a nice bar downstairs to wait in.

I've had both good and bad experiences at Lucy's, but I am willing to try again.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM

7,258 posts, read 16,613,893 times
We went to La Hacienda a couple of weeks ago and it was so unedible, I almost puked.
Charlie didn't like his slop either.
I haven't been able to find someone that knows how to make a burrito.
If I order a bean burrito, they give me bland tasting refried beans. A good bean burrito consists of tasty refried and whole beans.
If I order a beef or chicken burrito, the meat is way overcooked and dry.
One day I'm going to ask if I can come back to the kitchen and show them the proper way to make a burrito.
There's a place in Taos that I can't remember the name of. It's a hole in the wall type place but they have good burritos.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 PM

I like Disco Taco in Ruidoso Downs. A complete hole in the wall, but they have a huge menu and make it fresh when ordered and are very affordable. Sometimes I just get it to go, because it is such a hole in the wall. If you like it hot they will make you sweat if you want.

Disco Taco, Authentic Mexican Food Restaurant in Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico (http://www.zianet.com/discotaco/ - broken link)

Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,221,919 times
But the hole-in-the-wall places are very often the best food, so I never see that as a negative!!

I AM going to Disco Taco one of these days. The name alone would make me think that it's something like Taco Bell (LOL!!) but I see that's not the case!!

I imagine Ruidoso has better places because it is a tourist trap--and also has a large number of Texans who are used to spicy and picante food!

I guess Alamogordo stays mostly bland because they have to cater to a large number of Midwesterners who aren't used to heavily-seasoned and hot food.

It took me awhile to train my IN friend.....LOL!!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 PM

I can understand the food being bland. I don't care for really spicy foods but I still want it to taste good. If it would just taste good would be all I ask.
Gotta check out Disco Taco one day but I usually enjoy going to the Log Cabin Restaurant in Ruidoso if I catch it when it's open.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Song,

I like the Log Cabin too, never been disappointed there. Even if you don't eat at the Disco Taco next time you are in Ruidoso check it out if you get a chance. It is just past the horse track on the left side of the road.

I hope everybody is having a good day. I thought it wasn't bad for a Monday and then I remembered it is Tuesday, still pretty good day!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Well, Tia Lupe's didn't even taste very good, especially the salsa. I can handle it when it's not hot, but has a good flavor.

What I just don't understand is why they won't even bring you some spicer/hotter sauce from the kitchen. I mean, how much trouble is it to stir in some extra hot chile, even dried/crushed?

Apparently too much for everybody here. I am just really disgusted and tired of cooking so much.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM

I would rather cook or eat a homecooked meal than go to a restaurant anyday.
The food is always so much better and in my case, trying to drop some weight, I know how the food is prepared when I do it myself.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 PM

I know it tastes vastly better cooked at home--and is better for you, but....I just get tired of cooking so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or