Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weroses View Post
Hey whats up your way? Its nothing but rain,rain ,and more rain here
Same here, rain, rain, rain. We do have lots of sunshine today and should for the next 2 or 3 days.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
What's a blue norther? I never heard of that one?
Try this reference for one explanation:

BLUE NORTHER "not" just a Texas phenomenon.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Try this reference for one explanation:

BLUE NORTHER "not" just a Texas phenomenon.

Interesting.
When I lived in the Great lakes area, Harry Volkman was the local weatherman, and in late fall and sometimes during the winter, we would receive what he would call an Alberta Clipper. This was a front coming down from Canada, usually initially began with crappy weather, pouring driving rainfall, sometimes mixed with snow, sleet or hail, and after the front passed, blue skies and very frigid temperatures took place. If a person were interested with weather or jet stream patterns, there was usually maps which showed a big dip or buckle in the jet stream, and sometimes dipped into the southern states, as far south as florida and texas.

Since I'd never heard the phrase blue norther, it makes perfect sense to me now.
Thanks for this informative discussion!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 PM

57 posts, read 158,019 times
Any suggestions? Would love to do White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns in a day. Is that doable? If so which one would you start with and where would you finish
thanks eddie

Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM

79 posts, read 230,978 times
it could be doable, but is definitely pushing it time wise. See my reply to the thread you started.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
...what he would call an Alberta Clipper. This was a front coming down from Canada
I feel sure there are all sorts of local colloquialisms for approaching storm fronts. Another one that pops to mind is "Polar Express." I have several web pages that I view daily in an attempt to outguess the weather experts, and one of them is the current jet stream pattern. It shows those large "udders" you wrote about that foretell one of the "Polar Express" events.

JET STREAM CURRENT OBSERVATION

Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie cantrell View Post
Any suggestions? Would love to do White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns in a day. Is that doable?
Only if you fly your own plane or copter! Unless you're talking about only doing a "drive-by" of both, and not stopping to actually see them. There is no interstate between the two and the highways are roundabout routes, at best, if you look at any map. Nearly 300 driving miles apart is my guess, regardless of which route you take.

Carlsbad is a self-guided tour these days, so you can spend as much or as little time there as you decide. But a full walking tour in and out is going to consume most of a day. There is a lunch room at the half-way point for those doing the full walking tour. And there is an elevator for those wishing to only see the lower part of the caverns - ride it both in and out. Nothing though can equal the experience of walking in and doing the entire tour, even if one chooses to ride out on the elevator.

White Sands is best seen by driving into the interior of the dunes, and again it depends on how much you like playing in a sand pile as to how much time you spend there. It's nice to have the time to eat a picnic lunch at one of the shelters in the interior, and even nicer to be there at sunset if the time of year allows it - when park is open that long.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM

206 posts, read 534,904 times
Hey Drac, better lay-off the "roids" before you kill someone, and don't tell me you're drug-free.(abs at 280??).

Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I feel sure there are all sorts of local colloquialisms for approaching storm fronts. Another one that pops to mind is "Polar Express." I have several web pages that I view daily in an attempt to outguess the weather experts, and one of them is the current jet stream pattern. It shows those large "udders" you wrote about that foretell one of the "Polar Express" events.

JET STREAM CURRENT OBSERVATION

Oh, I've heard of polar express, after thinking about it for awhile. Seems after I reached age 55 and past, I've forgotten more than I can remember. Not sure I even want to remember some things.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
It's gotten cooler here and there's a couple of times I've wanted to turn on the heat but haven't done it. I hold out as long as possible.

As far as men sewing, what's wrong with that? I don't sew much except to mend something once in a blue moon but trying to find someone to take in clothes is hard. There's alot of people in Timberon that say they sew but they don't do alterations. I figured anyone that says they can sew can alter clothes but I guess not.
Facebook is pretty addictive too. Mostly it's people talking about what they're doing at the moment like watching the grass grow, but it's worth signing up.

JDTH - maybe try posting songs like 'rock a bye baby' and see if someone sees offense to that.
Taking clothes in? I do that, have been for several years now. When I lived up north, I used to do alterations for the drag queens I had made friends with.

right now I have denim pants which are no longer useable, and am making quilted shotgun/rifle cases with snaps or zippers on the ends. It protects wooden stocks from getting scratched while a hunter is in the field. And affordable too, much cheaper than a hardshell gun case. I plan on trying to sell them on kijiji, listing items there is FREE!

tell me, do you have to give your real name on facebook?

I was looking for a pastry receipe a few days ago, and the first link I found was betty crocker. That website wants a person to give name and address to access recipes, so, I'm still looking. Apple pie crust. I know it's shortening, a bit of water, and flour, but cannot recall measurements. I do remember how to blend them though. I make apple thingies out of canned apple pie fillings, and add my own inaccuracies of brown sugar, cinnamon, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico