U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,717,223 times
Reputation: 573

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
I lived in there at that time also..That was one blizzard I will never forget. Walking down Sheridan in the middle of the road. Went to school in the loop and was worried I wouldn't make it home. Now I am west of Chicago on the Mississippi river.
Oh yeah, Sheridan road, now that's definitely a street where a person can really feel the effects of lake effect snow. So, how did you make it home? Were you able to catch some wheels?

I was delivering something to Ludigton Michigan once in the winter, and the people there said it (lake effect) was about 3 times as bad as Chicago. I did feel the wind whipping while I was there (Ludington). Found out that they do not use salt to melt snow or ice on roads there. Most roads were ice packed and difficult to drive upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 AM
 
1,063 posts, read 2,604,251 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Oh yeah, Sheridan road, now that's definitely a street where a person can really feel the effects of lake effect snow. So, how did you make it home? Were you able to catch some wheels?
I took the EL partway then on a bus, and walked the rest of the way. So glad I was able to leave school early. I was sure glad I was not driving.

Driving in Chicago is bad enough, but in a blizzard, not fun. Was at the merchandise mart about 10 years ago, and didn't realize it was snowing until we were in a shop that had a window, decided right a way to get out of town..
A 2-3 hr drive home took a good 5 hrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,717,223 times
Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
I took the EL partway then on a bus, and walked the rest of the way. So glad I was able to leave school early. I was sure glad I was not driving.

Driving in Chicago is bad enough, but in a blizzard, not fun. Was at the merchandise mart about 10 years ago, and didn't realize it was snowing until we were in a shop that had a window, decided right a way to get out of town..
A 2-3 hr drive home took a good 5 hrs.
The last time I was near the merchandise mart was back in 1995 or somewhere around that year, and I happened to notice there are very few windows.

I worked as a forklift operator at GLNTC for awhile, and since working on the docks, I always knew when or if it was going to get bitter. Pretty bad when you go to work and there's just flurries, get off at 5 p.m. and find there's 1 1/2 feet of snow. Yes, the trains do run in bad weather, that's one good thing about public transportation, sometimes as slow as they might be. I recall riding busses to and from high school during winter in Chicago, not fun.

So, did you have a traditional dinner yesterday?
I did. Found small turkey at wallyworld, thawed it out, cut it up like a chicken and put it in a small roaster pan, I have a really small oven in my camper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Branson, Missouri
7,255 posts, read 16,486,584 times
Reputation: 3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
You should see his wife salsa dance, boy is she hot, burns up the dance floor!
Now here's another talented guy...




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx64_N4AA04
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,717,223 times
Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Now here's another talented guy...




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx64_N4AA04
How did you find this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Tempe and Ruidoso
1,066 posts, read 1,880,885 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
What kind of bread are you baking? I love bread recipes.

I was going to try a baguette, but I didn't get the chance. I think I will try it today. We only had 14 people show up. Sometimes I don't understand how this works, either you are going to show up or not. We had a family of 5 and family of 3 not show up. The last time time we were expecting 40 people, we had 60 people show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Branson, Missouri
7,255 posts, read 16,486,584 times
Reputation: 3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
How did you find this?
I googled his name when I was trying to think of some songs to download. It's an old video of the 90's but he has a nice voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Branson, Missouri
7,255 posts, read 16,486,584 times
Reputation: 3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I was going to try a baguette, but I didn't get the chance. I think I will try it today. We only had 14 people show up. Sometimes I don't understand how this works, either you are going to show up or not. We had a family of 5 and family of 3 not show up. The last time time we were expecting 40 people, we had 60 people show up.
Leftovers are nice anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Phoenix,AZ
143 posts, read 306,229 times
Reputation: 121
Default love left-overs!

Hey - if you need help with all those left-overs - Bear says he is there for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I was going to try a baguette, but I didn't get the chance. I think I will try it today. We only had 14 people show up. Sometimes I don't understand how this works, either you are going to show up or not. We had a family of 5 and family of 3 not show up. The last time time we were expecting 40 people, we had 60 people show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Tempe and Ruidoso
1,066 posts, read 1,880,885 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear's Mom View Post
Hey - if you need help with all those left-overs - Bear says he is there for you!!
Thanks Bear! Next time I need you you will probably be in New Mexico. Joyce, Pete and Bear I hope all is well! Happy Holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top