Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,909,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Sure is windy today in Elephant Butte, what about your town?
A MISERABLE F______G DAY here in the tall pines. In the 13 years I've lived here full time, this is the worst dust storm by far that I've experienced - photos attached showing two zoomed views. Hard to tell without being familiar just how dense the dust is, but normally there is much more visible beyond the tree line showing in the photos.

Attached Thumbnails
The *Official* New Mexico "Off-Topic" Chat Thread-duststorm2.jpg   The *Official* New Mexico "Off-Topic" Chat Thread-duststorm1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,835,737 times
Typical blowing dust spring weather here in Alamo.....just like WT.

Amazing how it hides the mountains, isn't it? The Sacramentos are just barely...and I do mean barely...visible out the front window today.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 PM

372 posts, read 710,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Huh? This is the second thread where you alleged that Albuquerque has an air pollution problem. This isn't true at all. The idea that ABQ could pollute El Paso, 230 miles to the south, is laughable. If the wind was blowing hard enough to get any pollution from here to there, it would all be dispersed long before it arrived there. And ABQ has no big industrial air pollution sources, which are what can get carried downwind a long ways.
El Paso does have a neighbor that's polluting it - Ciudad Juárez, right across the border. But it's certainly not Albuquerque.
While I doubt that we make a difference in the pollution of El Paso, it would be possible. To think that air pollution would "dispersed" in 230 miles is crazy. In fact, pollution and sands from China get carried to the United States every year and that is a journey of thousands of miles.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,469,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
While I doubt that we make a difference in the pollution of El Paso, it would be possible. To think that air pollution would "dispersed" in 230 miles is crazy. In fact, pollution and sands from China get carried to the United States every year and that is a journey of thousands of miles.
High altitude air pollution such as from China to the US is a whole different beast then urban air pollution such as Phoenix has and ABQ doesn't. Dust and pollution sometimes travel from China to the US vis systems the experts call “warm conveyor belts.” These conveyor belts occur when cold air contacts warm air, driving the warmer air—and any pollution it’s carrying—upwards. Pollution and dust can also travel with passing storms, circling the globe on the jet stream 10 miles up, until gravity or other weather systems force them to descend.

ABQ doesn't have the industrial sources to put such pollution into the upper atmosphere. Given the absence of strong air pollution sources in ABQ, it's crazy to think that pollution would carry 200+ miles away in any signficant concentrations. Also, the conveyor belts described above don't generally occur in NM. And given general air flow patterns in the state, if anything El Paso's air pollution would come this way, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red46 View Post
Speaking as one who has watched this city grow into a grotesque spectacle over the past 50 years, and remembering that in 1950 you could stand on the crest and clearly see all the way to CO, the grey cloud over Albuquerque is obscene.
I don't disagree at all with red46 that urban haze in ABQ is a lot worse than it was back in the 50s; as he said that's a consequence of the growth the area has had since then. But ABQ doesn't have an air quality problem anywhere near Phoenix's, so I think his comment in another thread about Phoenix and ABQ having air quality that is "about the same" could be terribly misleading to someone that hasn't visited here and doesn't know any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red46 View Post
Where you're from God only knows.
I'm from Alaska originally and I still think of it as home, and I know exactly what red46 is talking about when he decries the bad impacts of growth - I've seen a lot of it at home. But saying the air quality here is not good and that we pollute El Paso just doesn't match the reality. While the air quality isn't as good as it used to be, it's still a lot better than most other places in the US. Saying otherwise on the forum doesn't do a service to folks that come here looking for accurate information on what ABQ is like.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,231,001 times
I'm wondering when it's going to let up? Yes, the mountains are hard to see. My power went out today briefly, wind must have taken down a power line somewhere.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 AM

Ruidoso's "official" weather station at the airport recorded several gusts of over 70mph in the afternoon, with a peak gust of 77mph. That's more than hurricane speed! No wonder the dirt was flying!! According to Fri (this) morning's paper, there was little reported serious damage, so that's a plus and rather amazing, considering.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,231,001 times
That's a pretty hard wind. Here in Elephant Butte, someone who has a wind speed gauge said gusts were 66 mph.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Did anyone in the Tularosa/Alamgordo/Las Cruces area witness the rocket firing this morning at 7am?

I saw it live on the NASA web site. It must have looked pretty spectacular to those in the area who saw it first hand. I was most surprised by the bright orange plume the rocket spewed as it lifted off. I've seen that same propellant before in smaller rocket tests at White Sands Missile Range.

Information on the test firing can be found by googling on "Orion Rocket" or "escape capsule test." Or here:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_15024438

Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,458,042 times
Anyone buy hay lately? I'm looking to do a little price comparison.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,349,082 times
Not me, but $6-7 seems to be the going price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico