U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,305,828 times
Well, monsoon season hit the ground running yesterday.
It was officially the first day of the season, started out at 85F, around noon it started hailing and it was still like 75F (how does that happen!).

Then it rained on and off, then we got flash flood warnings for this county scrolling underneath the local TV station, then we had a big thunder and lightning storm during the Lakers/Celtics game and I was afraid the power would go out during the last part of the game (it didn't).

Phone went out for a while, internet was iffy but held.

Rained on and off all night long.

This morning, it smells glorious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 AM

433 posts, read 572,452 times
Egglady, we just got teased most of the day. I don't know if we even got spit upon. But it was cloudy. I could smell the creosote but it didn't make it here.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,629,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post

LUCKY YOU!!! I have the fresh rain smell, but that's all. It sprinkled at my house, but not enough to measure. But at 10pm I could see the lightning in the southern Sac area and was able to hear occasional distant thunder. In a normal summer wet weather pattern, those storms that form south and west of Ruidoso eventually move over Ruidoso. Yesterday they didn't. But the cooling effect was wonderful after the temp hit 93 and dropped to 76 by 3pm.

I was VERY surprised to see the huge area of cloud cover on the satellite image this morning - covering much of the central state. But it didn't save El Paso from a second record setting day of 110F temps.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM

259 posts, read 525,250 times
I think it rained a little in Alamo late last night. At least just enough for all of the dust that got kicked up tio stick to my truck.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM

8,021 posts, read 11,128,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
....You've mentioned animal restrictions in White Mountain Meadows before and I replied before that I know of plenty of animals in that subdivision - some with their own chain link fenced enclosures. Nowhere in Lincoln County is it legal to allow dogs (or any animal) to run loose - "leash laws" do exist, but are harder to enforce in the county. Ruidoso does a good job of enforcement, as does The Downs, where there are full-time animal control officers.

It's not a matter of not allowing animals at all, or leash laws. It is the number. White Mountain allows no more than TWO--I have more than that.

Mine are contained within a fenced yard, and are always on leash when they are with me away from my property.

So it's the number that gets me, not the other restrictions in place--which are good ones, BTW. I LIKE leash laws.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's not a matter of not allowing animals at all, or leash laws. It is the number.
I remembered later that you'd explained that before. I apologize for not remembering.

I know a woman here who has so many cats and dogs she refuses to tell even her best friends the number. I suspect she may well not know how many she has. And she lives in the prestigious "Upper Canyon" area! Forgot to mention - and at least one PIG! She claims she is simply a lover of animals but the fact is she keeps them locked in portable kennels most of the day. She has a very small fenced in area for them to exercise in, and that's it!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:01 PM

8,021 posts, read 11,128,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I remembered later that you'd explained that before. I apologize for not remembering.

I know a woman here who has so many cats and dogs she refuses to tell even her best friends the number. I suspect she may well not know how many she has. And she lives in the prestigious "Upper Canyon" area! Forgot to mention - and at least one PIG! She claims she is simply a lover of animals but the fact is she keeps them locked in portable kennels most of the day. She has a very small fenced in area for them to exercise in, and that's it!

That's OK....

That woman sounds like a hoarder.......

Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM

256 posts, read 223,326 times
Anyone in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 AM

49 posts, read 54,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post

So glad we had the rain. We sure can use it. See you in a few weeks

Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That woman sounds like a hoarder.......
A classic hypocrite is what she is. If keeping pets in small cages day after day after day isn't animal cruelty, I'd like to know what it is! We're not talking hamsters here - but rather dogs of all sizes. And she claims to care more for animals than people!

PS Her cats are allowed to run wild and have made a wreck of the interior of the garage she allows them to occupy, to say nothing of every screened window and door on her house! I'm just happy I don't live anywhere near her.

Last edited by jaxart; 06-08-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico