Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,829,788 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised that your letters weren't published. The entire thing appeared to have been railroaded through by those who were most in favor of keeping the track there. I don't remember all of the details, though.

The track was built (1949, correct?) before I was born, so of course I would have no idea of what Ruidoso was like before that point in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM

124 posts, read 227,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! Just when I think it will settle down and get better, something else happens!! Did you ever find a good mechanic?

But it is smoothing out a bit, so.......

So how do you like T or C? When I drove through last year, I felt sort of creeped out, and I don't know why! Maybe it's because it was the middle of the day, and there didn't seem to be anybody there.
I ended up using the Chevy Dealership, twice. 21 miles after they replaced the fuel filter the fuel pump burned out.

T or C is a bit different. I haven't done a walk about in downtown yet but it does look awfully empty. I asked someone if the town was dying and was told there's lots of places for sale everywhere in the country because of.... what do they call it, The Recession??. They did admit downtown is having some problems.

Everyone I've met has been very friendly and helpful.

I greatly miss the variety in food shopping I used to have, love the sunshine, Have discovered heat isn't too bad with no humidity, and have found a local GP who seems very knowledgeable about the social anxiety which goes along with my daughter's Asperger's.

I've made friends with my UPS lady as she has been here nearly every day delivering my new living room piece by piece.

Know anyone who's looking for a brown velvet chaise? It's the one mistake I made. Thought it could replace a clunky recliner, but my arthritic neck says no.

My car now sports a brand new NM plate. Had to go with the teal.... they were out of balloons.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM

So it sounds like you're settling in!

The balloon plate has been discontinued, if I'm not mistaken...I thought the new choices were either the turquoise or the standard red/yellow that has been around for YEARS.

I can imagine how the grocery shopping is in T or C, but you can get by with a Walmart. It's nice to have so many more choices up here than what I had in Alamo. Alamo was adequate, but I like having 2 Walmarts, a Sam's Club, Safeway, Smith's and some other choices. There is even a small produce market here that has ok selections.

Summer has arrived in the NW.....95 now with a high of 99 later.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM

I always think of turquoise as brighter than the plate is. I'm not a big fan of yellow so got the other.

They should have considered the summer traffic before making up the plans for this Walmart. The shelves are usually half bare as people stop before heading to Elephant Butte. I go to the supermarket downtown for meat. That place is a flashback to the 60's. There's a produce market here on Saturdays. I haven't gone yet as so far I guess the offerings are various greens, lettuces and garlic sprouts.

It's a tad warm here too. 99 with a high of 101 and not much of a breeze to cool you off. I haven't heard the refrigerated air turn off in a while now. I'm nice and comfy.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,133,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzherenow View Post
They should have considered the summer traffic before making up the plans for this Walmart.
The Walmart in Ruidoso suffers the same sort of shortages during the summer tourist season. I learned (from asking employees) that the best day to shop is Thursdays since what restocking gets done on a weekly basis is in place on that day. I never shop on the three weekend days (Fri - Sun) due to the tourist crowds and long waits at the registers. Walmarts in small towns such as this have a hard time keeping enough employees to meet peak periods. Here so many are on drugs that Walmart's policy of "zero tolerance" must surely be relaxed(?).

Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
.....I go to the supermarket downtown for meat. That place is a flashback to the 60's. There's a produce market here on Saturdays. I haven't gone yet as so far I guess the offerings are various greens, lettuces and garlic sprouts.

It's a tad warm here too. 99 with a high of 101 and not much of a breeze to cool you off. I haven't heard the refrigerated air turn off in a while now. I'm nice and comfy.
So you do have another market besides the Walmart option. Alamo's older Lowe's was also a flashback. It carried things that Walmart didn't, so it worked out well.

The Farmer's Market is not far from my house (if what I saw the other day was any indication)...but it's also nice having an indoor produce place. I could get my favorite big red bells for .50 each!

It's still 95, and my AC has been running this afternoon. It doesn't run at night, though, because of the cooler nights. I'll take that over Alamo's 106 (projected 108) today....though I'd prefer it never get above the high 80s!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM

I hear ya there. I like it in the 70's, but with no humidity 80's aren't bad at all. But I was just outside and 98 is a bit warm.

It is a little depressing that I can't even buy buttons in town. Ebay's great but sometimes it's hard to match colors on a computer.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I hear ya there. I like it in the 70's, but with no humidity 80's aren't bad at all. But I was just outside and 98 is a bit warm.

It is a little depressing that I can't even buy buttons in town. Ebay's great but sometimes it's hard to match colors on a computer.
OMG. It's impossible to match either fabric or buttons on the computer. Every monitor/display shows them differently.

Doesn't your Walmart carry a small selection of sewing items? I've never seen one that didn't have at least SOME of the basics, including buttons.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Their craft section is 1 aisle. There's no yarn or fabric. I saw a few jewelry making things, a few quilt making items, and T-shirts so perhaps some fabric painting stuff as well.

I'm eating some California Blueberries I got there which were about $3.00 for a pint.

At this rate I'll have to stop eating to lose weight as I can't afford the healthy stuff.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Their craft section is 1 aisle. There's no yarn or fabric. I saw a few jewelry making things, a few quilt making items, and T-shirts so perhaps some fabric painting stuff as well.

I'm eating some California Blueberries I got there which were about $3.00 for a pint.

At this rate I'll have to stop eating to lose weight as I can't afford the healthy stuff.
Yep, the fresh stuff is always more expensive.

I guess you'll have to make periodic trips to Cruces for some items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico