U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 PM

7,270 posts, read 16,878,607 times

Advertisements

Happy Easter weekend to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM

120 posts, read 279,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I assume by your username that you live in Albuquerque. This might be true in Albuquerque, but not Southern New Mexico. Las Cruces, for example, is no Phoenix or Miami. But there are more palms than in the Mid-Atlantic.

I know people with these misconceptions too. A lot of people from New England seem to think New Mexico is like Phoenix in the summer. I've had people ask me if the college (NMSU) is anywhere near the coast. I've had someone try to sell me a beach towel for when I go to the beach in New Mexico.
You will need a beach towel in New Mexico, because there is a beach in southern New Mexico. A sandy shoreline surrounds Elephant Butte Lake, the largest reservoir of water in the state.
Elephant Butte Lake, New Mexico, USA Vacation Info - Lakelubbers

It is a man-made lake 40 miles long, created when Elephant Butte Dam was completed in 1916. It is fed by the Rio Grande river, which once separated New Mexico from Texas, and was once the largest reservoir in the world, with 200 feet of shoreline and over 2 million acre feet of water, with depths from 20 feet in the northern part to as much as 80 feet in the southern part of the lake. Land Ahoy! Grab your beach towel.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 PM

24,196 posts, read 39,065,053 times
Peep, peep... (Happy Easter)

Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,539,415 times
Kind of a dumb, and maybe even silly question...
But the "flavor" that's called "Santa Fe" that we see, well, anywhere that sells food, (Santa Fe chicken, Santa Fe panini, Santa Fe wrap....) did that flavor originally start in Santa Fe? Or does Santa Fe mean something that explains that "southwestern" flavor.

Seems like most dishes/wraps/sandwiches are often given the name "Southwestern" or "Santa Fe".

Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM

7,270 posts, read 16,878,607 times
I've always thought it meant southwestern type food but I don't know where it originally came from.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 PM

24,196 posts, read 39,065,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Kind of a dumb, and maybe even silly question...
But the "flavor" that's called "Santa Fe" that we see, well, anywhere that sells food, (Santa Fe chicken, Santa Fe panini, Santa Fe wrap....) did that flavor originally start in Santa Fe? Or does Santa Fe mean something that explains that "southwestern" flavor.

Seems like most dishes/wraps/sandwiches are often given the name "Southwestern" or "Santa Fe".
My translation of Santa Fe is a Spanish word meaning "Saintly Belief". There are over 50 locations in North and South America called Santa Fe...

It is not really a flavor in my opinion... But the food in the U.S. with the "Santa Fe" tag is typically is a "U.S. Southwestern style flavor".

But this is the Internet...

Rich

Added:

Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,539,415 times
Interesting. I never heard of Santa Fe outside New Mexico and the "flavor" of wraps and paninis.. LOL Can't believe there is one in Ohio!

I guess calling something with a southwestern flavor "Santa Fe" makes it seem more desirable..due to "Santa Fe" being an interesting looking word .. well, at least to me.

I suppose it's the same silly marketing crap they use whenever they add avocado to something and it gets called a "California ______".

Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,141,792 times
Santa Fe's full name when founded was 'La Villa Real de la Santa Fe de San Francisco de Asis'.

Translation is 'The Royal Town of the Holy Faith of St. Francis of Assisi'.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 974 times
Thumbs up What a coincidence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
...I did, in the 70's. I bought Geronimo's autobiography from one of his grandsons (maybe great grandson?) near Ft Huachuca, AZ. At my age, my memory might be failing a bit. I found that part of Arizona to be mystical, to a degree... I was also able to go back to the area in the 80's for a few months.

Rich

WOW!!! This is quite a coincidence! Your comment immediately propelled me back into both my childhood (in the 1960s) and to a conversation I had just last week!!

I got to go to an amusement park in Phoenix called Legend City about 2 or 3 times as a child (a HUGE treat for us kids!) and while there, we went into one of the little shops that sold souvenirs and trinkets, etc. When checking out our purchases, the man who was in charge of the store at that time we were there mentioned to us that he was actually Geronimo's grandson! (How the subject came up in the first place I have no idea -- perhaps it was a book.) My memory is that he was probably in his 30s, what I would today call a young man but I'm sure at the time I thought he was an old man!

I was just reliving that event with my grown daughter only last week! I told her that I didn't know for sure if he was truly the grandson or if he just said it to help with sales or just for the pure fun of watching the kids' faces!!!

I saw Wallace and Ladmo there (local kids TV show personalities) at the park and heard that Miss Arizona (who won the Miss America title in 1965) had performed her ventriloquism act there. So perhaps one of the reasons he was hired was for his ancestry, or maybe he was there part of the time selling books about his grandfather and life in Arizona way back in the old days. It evidently made a pretty big impact on me because I can still remember it and was just telling my daughter about it.

I wish I'd had enough foresight (and money) to have bought Geronimo's autobiography and maybe get the grandson's autograph as well. But when you're only 10-12 and just barely have enough money to buy a 10-cent candy bar and a genuine Indian tomahawk complete with bending rubber blade, bright red & purple feathers, and 'Made in China' stamped on its undersurface, the book just didn't make my final selection!

I wonder if the gentleman you saw was the same man I remember from all those years ago! This would have been in the mid-1960s when I was at Legend City. The park only opened in 1963 and I can remember being there when it was still small & new and then going back later when it was bigger & older. (All in the 1960s).

You thought he was perhaps a great-grandson in the 1970s if I read your post correctly. I remember thinking even back in the 1960s that the man I met seemed pretty young to be only a grandson and wondering if I had misunderstood and he really had said great-grandson. (Or perhaps those were my parents' later comments in the station wagon on the way home that make me wonder about the age factor. I really was too young to reason things out very intelligently.)

BTW, did you get a chance to see London Bridge that was rebuilt in Lake Havasu, Arizona? It started reconstruction in 1968 and was completed in 1971. I can remember that area before the bridge was rebuilt, and it really was mostly desert out there. There are variations of a joke about people being foolish enough to buy famous landmarks like London Bridge or the Golden Gate Bridge from con men. As a child, when I first heard that London Bridge had been bought by people in Arizona I remember being SO embarrassed that our state had actually been so gullible! How little I knew!! All the pride I had in having a Miss Arizona become Miss America was ruined by thinking our state was about to become the laughingstock of the entire world!

Well, thanks for the visit down memory lane!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM

4,159 posts, read 6,517,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMgirl_1954 View Post
I wish I'd had enough foresight (and money) to have bought Geronimo's autobiography and maybe get the grandson's autograph as well.
You can still purchase that publication from the online retailers, and probably from the big box book stores (Barnes & Noble, etc.).

Geronimo-Story-Autobiography-Patriot-Warrior

There is an older man named Harlyn Geronimo who lives on the Mescalero Reservation (or did) who I met some years ago who also claims to be a great-grandson. I suspect there are quite a few living descendants - or people who claim to be. There was a lawsuit brought in 2009 by a group of "descendants" demanding return of the Chief's skull and other remains.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29265600.../#.T47c79l1aSo

Last edited by joqua; 04-18-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or