U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM

186 posts, read 378,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oooooooooo, that's colder than where I live in Wisconsin right now.
Having lived in many places all over the US, including Santa fe, I have this to say about winters and temps. Cold in Santa Fe is different than the cold in the midwest. Just as the heat of summer is not nearly as bad in the desert because of the lower humidity, so is the cold not as bad. The winter cold in Santa Fe isn't the bone-chilling cold that I have experienced in the midwest. It can be colder there and not feel as bad as say 20 in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,155,447 times
The cold here in Coeur d' Alene, ID, is really the bone-chilling cold, too. I'm looking forward to moving to Alamogordo, NM, and experiencing the way "cold" feels there. I don't think it will feel as cold there.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,710,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
Having lived in many places all over the US, including Santa fe, I have this to say about winters and temps. Cold in Santa Fe is different than the cold in the midwest. Just as the heat of summer is not nearly as bad in the desert because of the lower humidity, so is the cold not as bad. The winter cold in Santa Fe isn't the bone-chilling cold that I have experienced in the midwest. It can be colder there and not feel as bad as say 20 in the midwest.
I know what your talking about. I was in Alaska, Fairbanks, usually always low humidity, very arid climate, and extreme cold too. So much so that I had nasal and mouth dryness most of the time, staying hydrated was essential. Experiencing 2 weeks or more of sub-zero temperatures and then having it warm to 33 degrees above zero was like having a heat wave of sorts.

Here in Wisconsin, it's not the cold so much as it is the higher humidity that takes a toll on the body, as in aches and pains, arthritics, and so forth. In summer months here, it's always the humidity that get's ya.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM

24,132 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
it's not the cold so much as it is the higher humidity that takes a toll on the body, as in aches and pains, arthritics, and so forth.
That is a key. In the Albuquerque area, we don't really have a humidity issue (Just a short period during monsoon, season), but the wind gets a bit irritating...

Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,710,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is a key. In the Albuquerque area, we don't really have a humidity issue (Just a short period during monsoon, season), but the wind gets a bit irritating...
When I stepped off of the hop {AF} military plane, in the month of May, I'd found that I was well overdressed, my dress blues, thermal underwear, and my wool full length winter coat, to find temperatures in the mid 50's, I couldn't strip fast enough.

People I had asked, is it very windy here? They told me it was not.
I found that not to be the case because the wind whipped like it was Chicago. Snow drifting was extreme too.

How much precipitation does Albuquerque receive during the monsoon, and when does it happen?
I've been in El Paso before and it really rains a lot there. I've also been in San Antonio from September to December and it was mostly windy and cold there in winter months.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 PM

24,132 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
How much precipitation does Albuquerque receive during the monsoon, and when does it happen?
I've been in El Paso before and it really rains a lot there. I've also been in San Antonio from September to December and it was mostly windy and cold there in winter months.
The “Monsoon Season” is designated as the period lasting from June 15th through September 30th. But it is not that entire period. With the onset of the Monsoon, New Mexico is typically impacted by a variety of weather hazards that can often put the population at risk for serious injury or death. Thunderstorm frequency increases during this period, while exceptionally hot days are common as well.

NWS ABQ Monsoon Awareness Home

ABQ only gets maybe 8 or 9 inches per year, but it comes in bursts, which causes flooding. El Paso (which is only a few miles from New Mexico) can be similar.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM

46 posts, read 92,543 times
It may be cold in Santa Fe right now, but I still think that overall the weather is way, way better than it is here in WI. Obviously I don't live in SF (yet) but I have done alot of research (including follwing this site!) and it seems that on average the temperatures in SF in the winter are about 10 degrees warmer, and during summer it tends to be about 10 degrees cooler than in WI.

The key for me, as has already been mentioned - is the humidity. WI has bone-chilling humid cold that sometimes can only be remedied by a super hot bubble bath or shower. It's hard to explain, but you just can't shake it off. Humidity makes WI summers unbearable as well, and don't even get me started on the mosquitos.....

Another major difference is that from my understanding, when SF gets snow, it only hangs around for a few days before it melts. Once we get snow here in WI, which is usually in November, it stays on the ground, and keeps piling up through March, before it completely melts. Now granted this has been an unusually snow free year (until the blizzard last week) as was last year. I'm hoping this trend continues.....

The major weather difference though, is the sun!!! The cloudy winter days that can last for weeks on end in WI can get really depressing. I love seeing the sun, and Santa Fe seems to have an abundance of sunshine.

I also love that SF still has 4 seasons, even though it is "desert". I'm really looking forward to being able to be outside enjoying the sunshine and hiking, biking, etc. more than a few months out of each year.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM

255 posts, read 513,649 times
hope they can live without water

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM

799 posts, read 2,578,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
hope they can live without water

Albuquerque has been running out of water for the last 50 years. 50 years from now it will be the same story!!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM

255 posts, read 513,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Albuquerque has been running out of water for the last 50 years. 50 years from now it will be the same story!!
has the population remained the same as 50 years ago?

You live in the middle of a desert, in the most arid state in the union, water is way too cheap, and people are continuing to move here.

sleep tight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or