U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM

255 posts, read 510,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Do people forget our city gets 60% of it's water supply from the Rio Grande. Settle down people.
Surely you can't be serious.

Drought dries New Mexico's largest rivers | KUNM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post

He is serious......and don't call him Surely!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,102,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
He is serious......and don't call him Surely!!!
Too bad both of them are wrong. The Rio Grande only distributes the water. The water is actually coming from Colorado River Basin via the San Juan and Chama then to the Rio Grande.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Too bad both of them are wrong. The Rio Grande only distributes the water. The water is actually coming from Colorado River Basin via the San Juan and Chama then to the Rio Grande.

I know, you just have to consider the two sources. Anything negative about this city is all that matters to them. Maybe they shouldn't let the door hit them, if they actually live here!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Really? If the distribution channels are drying up, then it would only indicate that the source is running low. Pretty straight forward. Have you seen either river lately? I attempted to raft the chama over the summer and spent most of the time hanging up on rocks. The guides said it was the lowest they've ever seen it.

Colorado River Basin study projects future water shortages | The Salt Lake Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Maybe they shouldn't let the door hit them, if they actually live here!
meh I'm not trying to argue or hurt anyones feelings. If you love it here great, takes all types.

We do have to face the fact that the world outside new mexico is changing rapidly. The state and it's residents refusal to accept that reality and adapt will continue to keep it at the bottom of economic and educational lists for ages. at this rate, one could return in 100 years and nothing will have changed.

Last edited by atxzj; 01-14-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
N8!

2,409 posts, read 4,402,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
at this rate, one could return in 100 years and nothing will have changed.

If only....

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post

If only....
touche'

Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM

5,415 posts, read 5,053,171 times
Question: I was reading on a city-data Las Cruces thread where someone said that the Rio Grande River is dammed shut upriver in the winter. Huh? Can anyone confirm that on here?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM

23,931 posts, read 38,411,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Question: I was reading on a city-data Las Cruces thread where someone said that the Rio Grande River is dammed shut upriver in the winter. Huh? Can anyone confirm that on here?
No.

Here is the flow rate, every 15 minutes for Jan 13, 2012: ALL DATA ARE PROVISIONAL AND SUBJECT TO REVISION 8-3637.00 Rio Grande below Mesilla Dam

U.S. Internation Boundary & Water Commission

Tons of data if you need it. I have never seen it come close to being "dammed shut" at any time...

But then perhaps talking about the 30's? Before the reservoirs, dams, levies etc were built by the Army Corp of Engineers... When the Rio Grande would stop, flood, actually move around....

APPEARS MY CONNECTION WENT DOWN. ADDED:

From: http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2012/...as-go-dry.html

Sat, Jun 16, 2012: Water managers have begun the slow, steady process of allowing stretches of the Rio Grande to go dry through south-central New Mexico.
Over the course of the summer, the river will be allowed to dry through Socorro and Valencia counties, but the operating rules require flows to be maintained through Albuquerque.
While the river itself will dry, irrigation water will for now continue to flow through the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District’s ditches paralleling the river.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-15-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 PM

5,415 posts, read 5,053,171 times
Poncho - thank you for that information. I've got all I need to educate myself on the Rio Grande River winter flow through New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or