U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 PM

75 posts, read 79,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
Even more ideal would be people having 2 kids or less. Then they'd already be located where the water is. But it's still taboo to broach that solution!
Sounds red commie to me. This here ain't China.

Now people can happily choose to not procreate but it should be their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,051,857 times
Quote:
Even more ideal would be people having 2 kids or less. Then they'd already be located where the water is. But it's still taboo to broach that solution!
IIRC, NM is at 1.90 average per family with children. People have already made that choice. It would be stupid to force a number.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM

255 posts, read 503,141 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisCowboy View Post
Sounds red commie to me. This here ain't China.

Now people can happily choose to not procreate but it should be their choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
IIRC, NM is at 1.90 average per family with children. People have already made that choice. It would be stupid to force a number.
Meh, I don't think anyone implied "forcing" a number on the populous. An educated and incentivised public would be a fairly straightforward way to start. As a reactive example, the recent recession has resulted the lowest birthrates since the 40s.

It's well known that reducing the number of people being introduced into the world would be beneficial to the environment, and could be done without a living in a police state.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM

248 posts, read 540,860 times
There are natural disasters here. Albuquerque is only an hour away from the youngest lava field in the continental United States, the Malpais near Grants. They are about 4,000 years old..younger than the Pyramids. Of course let's not forget about the magma body below Socorro, given them the highest frequency of earthquakes in the entire state. New Mexico is bisected by the Rio Grande Rift after all, which means to all you laymen that it's ripping itself apart.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:07 PM

391 posts, read 719,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Mesilla looks inviting, cosmiccrowbar! I'm feelin' perty blessed ta have found southern New Mexico and to have scored a job down here. Not perfect, but hey, one can find flaws in just about anyone and anywhere and anything if that's their bag. Finding flaws.

Mesilla has that true, unabated, down-home Spanish country, relaxed desert southwest thing going for it. Beautiful!
Unlike the north part of the state, where it seems everyone thinks they'e Spanish , Mesilleros/as proudly identify as Mexican heritage, even if their roots go back to Spain (as my next door neighbors do), and celebrate that connection on a regular basis.
It's a great town...quirky, rough around the edges, but authentic and full of character and characters.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM

41,507 posts, read 48,479,782 times
At least Socorro has MHT. That is my primary attraction to the town.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM

7,913 posts, read 16,499,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
At least Socorro has MHT. That is my primary attraction to the town.
You're from New Hampshire, I see, Greg. You come from a region of the country that really, really valued the concept of human scale design in a town, relative to national standards. You would be especially challenged relocating to a place like Socorro NM, or anyone you brought with you. Your challenge would be even more daunting than most people relocating into the area.

This is not to say that New Hampshire equals all good, and New Mexico equals all bad. You just have to have the ability to place cultural filters and blinders onto yourself before making such a move. I would say further the longer you wait and the more you age, the more challenging such a relocation would become.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,051,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Unlike the north part of the state, where it seems everyone thinks they'e Spanish , Mesilleros/as proudly identify as Mexican heritage, even if their roots go back to Spain (as my next door neighbors do), and celebrate that connection on a regular basis.
It's a great town...quirky, rough around the edges, but authentic and full of character and characters.
What connection to Mexico should those northerners feel? The 28 years of Mexican rule out of several hundred?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM

7,913 posts, read 16,499,079 times
Quote:
What connection to Mexico should those northerners feel? The 28 years of Mexican rule out of several hundred?
I could probably write a pretty large book about this specific subject.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM

391 posts, read 719,344 times
Quote:
Until the advent of air travel, nobody came directly from Spain to New Mexico, for starters. Most Spanish born settlers came to NM after a little or a long time in Mexico. You can parse the difference between pre and post Mexican independence all you wish, but that doesn't change anything.
A simple illustration:
Traditional New Mexican food bears little resemblance to traditional food found in Spain. Tortillas in Spain, for example, are an egg concoction like an open-faced omelet or fritatta. Try wrapping your burrito filling in that...

Feel free to chime in, mike....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or