U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,128,841 times

Advertisements

That doesn't explain why northerners should celebrate Mexican heritage. Yes, there are similarities but New Mexicans have their own culture to celebrate. Just as many other Hispanic cultures do. Many New Mexicans just don't have a connection to Mexico. If someone has a connection to Mexico and the culture celebrate it but don't expect someone to false identify with another.

Also, most places in mexico don't even make burritos much less use flour tortillas.

Last edited by NMHacker; 06-12-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM

391 posts, read 736,741 times
My point was far less "northerners should celebrate Mexican heritage" than it was amusement/bemusement at the frequent insistence, often admant, of some people in the North that they're Spanish, Spanish, Spanish. Now, people do that in Mexico also, and there it's often to emphasize that their Spanish bloodlines have not been somehow sullied by Indian blood. Though it's rarely stated that directly anymore, the emphasis is clear and widely known, but that's Mexico's racist mestizophobic cross to bear.

I have no way to even guess if similar feelings motivate the "Spanish" of New Mexico and am certainly not suggesting that's the case. New Mexicans indeed have much to celebrate in their culture, but what that has to do with insisting one is Spanish and certainly, certainly not descended from Mexican-born people is a mystery to me. It's probably just one of those "the lady doth protest too much" things that raises more questions than it solves in my mind. That's probably why I mentioned it in passing.

And if you read what I wrote previously, you'll see I was comparing New Mexican food (burritos) to Spanish cuisine (guess the attempt at humor didn't fly with you) and did not mention Mexican food, flour tortillas or the presence of burritos in Mexico at all.
But since you brought it up, despite your assertion to the contrary, my tortilla de harina-loving-wife does not usually have difficulty getting her beloved wheat wrappers in almost 35 years of regular and wide Mexican travel, business and residence. I can't explain her weird taste - I much prefer handmade corn- but love is blind, I guess.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM

130 posts, read 231,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Until the advent of air travel, nobody came directly from Spain to New Mexico, for starters. Most Spanish born settlers came to NM after a little or a long time in Mexico. You can parse the difference between pre and post Mexican independence all you wish, but that doesn't change anything.
Interesting thought. I guess where I always believed myself to have French ancestry, it must actually be Canadian, as my antecedents who were born in France settled first in the land that is now called Canada (but wasn't then), before migrating south and helping settle a part of St. Louis, Missouri, before it became a U.S. state.

That will mean that my Swiss antecedents aren't really Swiss (though they thought they were), but French, as they settled for awhile in Alsace-Lorraine before immigrating to the U.S. midwest, and A-L was, at that time, French. But Alsace-Lorraine became German shortly thereafter, and they spoke the Swiss-German dialect, so ... I don't know, I'm confused now.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,013,364 times
When I first moved here I attended NM history lectures and was told to not ever assume locals have Mexican ancestry because they will be offended. Sure enough I had a friend who told me his family came with the first Spaniards in the 1500s and he was vehement that he had no Mexican heritage--only African American (from the guy that came with the Spaniards), Spanish and Comanche. Over 400 years later? I find it impossible to believe but what do I care how anyone creates their identity? It reminded me of all the people in the east who claim they are related to people who came on the Mayflower. Or my uncle who said we were related to Napoleon. Another uncle actually did the genealogy and found we have no French ancestry. As far as I know now it appears I come from a long line of German/Norwegian peasant farmers.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM

1,932 posts, read 3,128,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
My point was far less "northerners should celebrate Mexican heritage" than it was amusement/bemusement at the frequent insistence, often admant, of some people in the North that they're Spanish, Spanish, Spanish.
Point taken, though you did immediately follow up with;

"Mesilleros/as proudly identify as Mexican heritage, even if their roots go back to Spain (as my next door neighbors do), and celebrate that connection"

Which insinuates that Northerners should do the same.

Quote:
I have no way to even guess if similar feelings motivate the "Spanish" of New Mexico and am certainly not suggesting that's the case. New Mexicans indeed have much to celebrate in their culture, but what that has to do with insisting one is Spanish and certainly, certainly not descended from Mexican-born people is a mystery to me. It's probably just one of those "the lady doth protest too much" things that raises more questions than it solves in my mind. That's probably why I mentioned it in passing.
Mexican, Spanish, American all denote Nationality not culture. Many New Mexicans families have roots under 3 different flags in their 400+ years of history. One of which is a very small part of those 400+ years. Most Native New Mexicans this day identify themselves as Americans first, Hispanic (culture) 2nd.

Quote:
And if you read what I wrote previously, you'll see I was comparing New Mexican food (burritos) to Spanish cuisine (guess the attempt at humor didn't fly with you) and did not mention Mexican food, flour tortillas or the presence of burritos in Mexico at all.
But since you brought it up, despite your assertion to the contrary, my tortilla de harina-loving-wife does not usually have difficulty getting her beloved wheat wrappers in almost 35 years of regular and wide Mexican travel, business and residence. I can't explain her weird taste - I much prefer handmade corn- but love is blind, I guess.
You were showing the difference between New Mexican Food and Spanish Food. I was showing that even though there are similarities between Old Mexico and New Mexico there are differences. Trying to make a point that they have there own cultures.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,710,508 times
Default New Mexico Silver Fire

Thankfully, the recent rain helped firefighters battle the Silver Fire, it's now 60% or more contained.

I found this flicker link where forest fire fighters have been posting pictures of the fire and fighting efforts. You'd need to have a yahoo or flicker account to post visible messages if you'd like to.

Flickr: Gila Forest's Photostream

Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,522,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
6.114 per 100 people in TX are illegal aliens.

2.022 per 100 people in NM are illegal aliens.

Oh and I disagree that thing are visually doing down hill. In my experience it is the opposite.

Not very much of a difference between 3 of the 4 you listed.

Yeah, we do have restrictive drilling regulations. Though our Oil Rig count has been going up since 2009. About 35 in 2009. A little over 80 in 2012. Of course we can't compete with TX. Nor many any other states.

Some good news on the Oil front.
Texas has 25 million people (unfortunately) and counting--NM, barely 2 million. Texas has a growing economy, vastly more construction, oil-related and other jobs, so it's logical that there would be a much higher number of illegals there.

Not a good thing in either place, period.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
At least Socorro has MHT. That is my primary attraction to the town.
It also has a nice little downtown area and isn't all that far from Albuquerque. I would move to Socorro if we were to move back to NM, but I would never move to Grants.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM

57 posts, read 93,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
I lived in New Mexico for long enough to realize that people think of it as Mexico because it FEELS like Mexico. Very little diversity, more illegals than Mexizona (Arizona), very poor healthcare, unfriendly, callous people, an odd mix of the wealthy, very wealthy, poor, destitute and working class poor. .
Another reason New Mexico feels like Mexico is because it also has horizontal traffic lights. The rest of the US uses vertical traffic lights and after seeing photos of traffic signals in Mexico (MANY down there are horizontally mounted), I figured New Mexico traffic lights are like elswhere in Mexico.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM

24,133 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHanson9398 View Post
The rest of the US uses vertical traffic lights
No they don't... Guess you haven't traveled much. Been to Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Texas and Wisconsin?

Not all signals are horizontal in Mexico either.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-27-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or