U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 PM
TKO

1,723 posts, read 2,614,645 times

Advertisements

Cool article but too many Cowboys fans in EP, Texas can keep them.

I think Radium was Radium Springs and Hot Springs (also mentioned) is what is now TorC. Radium Springs used to have a very fancy TB/Health Spa Sanatorium and would have been a likely place for that sort of muckety muck meeting.

I've met the guy that runs (ran?) this website. Nice guy and a good researcher. All kinds of other neat articles too.

Desert Exposure Radium Hot Springs closure November 2007

Also met the couple (both looked eerily similar to late 70's Paul Newman - must have cultivated that look) who bought and were going to reopen the resort some years back. Sadly one of the guys passed on and that was the end of it. They did a lot groundwork, some of which I helped them with before I retired, and I was sad to see their dreams not come to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 08:11 AM

4,111 posts, read 6,097,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I think Radium was Radium Springs and Hot Springs (also mentioned) is what is now TorC. Radium Springs used to have a very fancy TB/Health Spa Sanatorium and would have been a likely place for that sort of muckety muck meeting.
You're absolutely right and I stand corrected.

Radium Springs is now just a name on the map a few miles north of Las Cruces on the Rio Grande. When I was a kid - almost a century ago - the spot was a favorite for family outings since it had a large swimming pool plus lots of large cottonwood trees for shade.

I made an effort to find the old resort and swimming pool about ten years ago, and failed, because I was on the west side of the Rio Grande. I do see the remains of the pool on Google Maps "Earth View," as well as the large building that was once the resort hotel. There is now an abutting state park that does a fair business with RVer's now - Leasburg Dam State Park.

And nearby is also a NM Historic Site of interest to those who like to visit old NM fort ruins.

http://www.nmhistoricsites.org/fort-selden

Attached Thumbnails
The *Official* New Mexico "Off-Topic" Chat Thread-radiumsprings.jpg  

Last edited by joqua; 08-25-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 05:21 PM

4,111 posts, read 6,097,089 times
Default Winterfat?

This article appears in the latest edition of the Ruidoso News and since I never knew the name of this common range-land bush before, thought others might be interested as well.

winterfat-provides-fall-food-source-wildlife

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM

198 posts, read 235,579 times
Interesting article about the challenges of maintaining the museum at Chaco Canyon. From the National Parks Traveler.

Chaco Culture National Historical Park

Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM

30 posts, read 29,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGabe View Post
Interesting article about the challenges of maintaining the museum at Chaco Canyon. From the National Parks Traveler.

Chaco Culture National Historical Park
Thanks for this link.

Lovely and important place.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,279,578 times
I filed for Social Security yesterday and they emailed me saying the Albuquerque unit would be handling me. Seeing I plan to return within the next year I'd say that's a coincidence.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM

7,641 posts, read 10,674,668 times
Out of stater question - do people grow tomatoes in NM? Indeterminate in pots or anything?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:16 AM
TKO

I have some growing in my garden right now. They do much better after June, the dry heat does them no good but when the monsoon starts they're loving that rain water and humid 90's doesn't give them any trouble at all. I've started planting them at the end of June and I harvest right up to the first frost which is usually around Thanksgiving.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM

7,641 posts, read 10,674,668 times
So you can't grow them year round? I have this fantasy of having home grown tomatoes year round I suppose parts of California. Seems I remember reading somewhere someone had an indeterminate plant in a large patio pot that they got a couple year round. maybe Arizona?
So even in the spring when its warm enough you can't get a second (or first) crop in with supplemental watering? Is the air too dry?

Old 09-21-2017, 01:19 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So you can't grow them year round? I have this fantasy of having home grown tomatoes year round I suppose parts of California. Seems I remember reading somewhere someone had an indeterminate plant in a large patio pot that they got a couple year round. maybe Arizona?
So even in the spring when its warm enough you can't get a second (or first) crop in with supplemental watering? Is the air too dry?
The problem with that is the spring is the windy season and it's really, really windy. Beats the stuffing out of the little plants and into the dry heat of June it just adds on. I've kept them alive from March until July but have harvested very little. The flowers always fall off. You have the odd year where the winds aren't bad or the heat isn't as bad but you can't count on that. Other plants do much better during those times, squash is one I always rely on.

Of course a greenhouse solves most of those problems and I don't think you'd have to heat it very often in most winters.

To bank on year round you have to live in a place where it never freezes and but also where it doesn't get 120 in the summer like Phoenix does. California and the west coast are probably the only places in the country you really find that.

Last edited by TKO; 09-21-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or