U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM

51 posts, read 97,929 times

Advertisements

Hey all, on the snake subject, panic and paranoia about potential bites is like any other worry, will just make you nuts over something that hasn't occured. But fair warning, the last couple years have seen (at least from my limited observations) a large increase in the rattlesnake population around t or c, and according to a friend of mine (who travels all over the state and has seen 13 this year so far) the whole state seems to have a higher population than normal.
My dad got struck last year, and there its definately not fun. Antivenin is extremely expensive, and can have adverse affects of its own, but if its a choice of letting the snake bite run its course and destroy large portions of your anatomy, or take the treatment and deal with whatever affects it may have on you, choose the hard place not the rock and get treatment. Best option is always be extremely aware of your surroundings and NOT get bit. Its been over a year since the date of my dads bite, and hes still fighting the affects.
Especially watch, walking near places you cant see under.
Gene Roddenberry would go armed (with a phaser of course) around here just for snake defense most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:13 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,786,920 times
Default A Nutty GUY

Yeah sturgis, I think you're right about the snake population. normally, only one or two have been seen in the rv park here, but, 3 have recently been discovered and properly disposed of (relocated) not killed.
anyway, there's this fellow, a nutty guy, who catches rattlesnakes and tuns them in for $$$$. the one he caught yesterday at the sierra conservation office was a little one, only about 2 feet long. he said it would fetch about 30 bucks! I guess he's turning them into someone who is doing research? UNM I guess.??
so, how's things going out by you?
my buddy the water doctor (heresay now) supposedly shot a rattler and left it in front of his neighbors doorstep, what a guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
Hey all, on the snake subject, panic and paranoia about potential bites is like any other worry, will just make you nuts over something that hasn't occured. But fair warning, the last couple years have seen (at least from my limited observations) a large increase in the rattlesnake population around t or c, and according to a friend of mine (who travels all over the state and has seen 13 this year so far) the whole state seems to have a higher population than normal.
My dad got struck last year, and there its definately not fun. Antivenin is extremely expensive, and can have adverse affects of its own, but if its a choice of letting the snake bite run its course and destroy large portions of your anatomy, or take the treatment and deal with whatever affects it may have on you, choose the hard place not the rock and get treatment. Best option is always be extremely aware of your surroundings and NOT get bit. Its been over a year since the date of my dads bite, and hes still fighting the affects.
Especially watch, walking near places you cant see under.
Gene Roddenberry would go armed (with a phaser of course) around here just for snake defense most likely.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 AM

271 posts, read 1,042,739 times
T or C sure seems doomed for sure. While I think the climate here is not
all that bad I have lived in other towns where I felt is was much better.
I guess my first choice would have been Prescott, AZ. I think it is now
getting hotter there in the summers but when I lived there it was a big deal
when it got to 95 in the day but at night it really cooled down. Now I lived
a little on the edge of town and was a little higher than downtown. I also
agree about the racecar track. It seems to me that the heat here would
be a problem unless they are going to race in late september or october
and then a few days in the windy spring. If they build condos out there
I can't imagine who would buy one. Look at the golf course development
out at the lake. Someone told me yesterday that there are only about 12
houses built out there. Now that might be a boom for T or C but not
by most standards in most places I've lived. It seems like there should be
over 100 homes built by now. I was in Roswell a few days ago and I asked
if there are any serious employers over there and most people said there were
two. The worlds largest cheese plant and a quite large aircraft repainting
company that employes about 200 people. I read where they can
paint up to 9 commercial aircraft at one time. They can even land
747''s at their airport so they have a few things going on to help
bring money into the economy.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
T or C would be a good place for a NASCAR track so they could extend the racing season to all year long and make even more money from their 'show". I like auto racing but my wife and I find NASCAR circle track racing provides excellent background noise for a Sunday afternoon nap.

I will stop by T or C just to take a hot soak in one of the resorts the next time we get to NM. Hopefully next summer.

To put things into perspective - that rental house cost about as much as I pay every 6 weeks to take a bus into Boston.

Last edited by GregW; 08-25-2008 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: added line of text

Old 08-25-2008, 12:26 PM

185 posts, read 583,272 times
Default Interesting Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2AZ View Post
I've attached some pictures taken in and around Springer, NM.
I enjoyed looking at the last picture of the 2 story home with the mansard roof and the balcony. What an art study.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
TKO

2,144 posts, read 2,801,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
I enjoyed looking at the last picture of the 2 story home with the mansard roof and the balcony. What an art study.
There's a style of house often called New Mexico Farm House in the northern part of the state that I really like. Basically a rectangle two story in earth tone stucco with white trim around the windows and a silverish metal roof. You see a lot of them on the back road from Bernalillo to Pena Blanca. I always liked the way they look.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Diamond In The Rough....

Thank-You TKO for telling me even more history of NM. I want so bad to just take a driving tour all through NM. It's going to happen. When I seen this picture I think my jaw dropped to my knees. This is a wonderful study of Second Empire style mansard roof 1850-1870. In France during that time period, houses were taxed by floors. the area with the dormer windows in the mansard roof was a little icing on the cake. It wasn't taxed. If houses could talk. The person must of been wealthy when he purchased or had such a "Lady Grace" built.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
Thank-You TKO for telling me even more history of NM. I want so bad to just take a driving tour all through NM. It's going to happen. When I seen this picture I think my jaw dropped to my knees. This is a wonderful study of Second Empire style mansard roof 1850-1870. In France during that time period, houses were taxed by floors. the area with the dormer windows in the mansard roof was a little icing on the cake. It wasn't taxed. If houses could talk. The person must of been wealthy when he purchased or had such a "Lady Grace" built.
You're welcome and thank you. Here's a picture of the type of house I was talking about. Nothing fancy but somehow, despite the metal roof, or maybe because of it, it fits up there.

The drive on the back road from Bernalillo to Pena Blanca is really a nice drive. I'm partial to the southern part of the state for the most part but there was an awful lot of beauty up north too.

http://www.horse-talk.com/images/turningpl4.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 PM

This house is interesting TKO, how the log supports are use for the porch and the metal roof. Each window with a little wood decoration it looks like inlay. Love the color of the house. The wood between the porch roof and main roof was left bare no stucco is this for a reason? Got that written down in my journal about the back road TKO, that you like to drive. Another place I'd like to visit is the town of Springer. When history isn't preserved...We have nothing to share.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM
TKO

Jara,

Just curious, is that a spanish "J" i.e. pronounced like an H? I don't know about the lack of stucco above the portal in this particular house it was just the most representative pic I could find using google image. It's not like a part of the style although I don't think it detracts from this house. It seem to match the wood on the eves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or