Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times

Advertisements

As I type this at 8am on Friday morning, April 23, it might seem as if it's April Fool's Day all over again.

IT'S SNOWING! This comes a day after it rained steadily all afternoon and into the dark hours, with ice pellets and temps at 40F. This morning it's right at the freezing mark at my 7,000 ft elevation, but betting the mountain peaks are getting a dusting again.

At least my two apple trees have just a few blossoms and not fully flowered - yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,414 times
Heading off to the Gathering of Nations in about 1/2 hour. The weather is much better than yesterday. Hopefully the rain will stay away today as the GON is being held at the outside at the UNM football field for the first time. We are staying at the Homewood Suites Uptown in Albuquerque. Very nice area. We got some hail last night.

I saw it was below freezing in Ruidoso this morning. We are heading to Ruidoso tomorrow for a few days. I am really looking forward to it.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
We are heading to Ruidoso tomorrow for a few days. I am really looking forward to it.
Bring your warm clothes! Here's a screen capture at 9:15am of the web cam at Inn of the Mountain Gods - view out over the golf course toward Sierra Blanca, hidden in low clouds.
Attached Thumbnails
The *Official* New Mexico "Off-Topic" Chat Thread-img.jpg  

Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Bring your warm clothes!.
Thanks Jax. We did bring our warm clothes. I hope we still have some firewood. I wish we had time to meet up with you, but we will only be in Ruidoso for 2 days and have lots of work to do on the place. We haven't been there since November.

Hopefully next time we are in Ruidoso we can meet up and chat for awhile. You know the area much better than I do and maybe you could give me some pointers on the area.

The GON was great, pretty windy, but that was to be expected. I hope they can move it back to the PIT once the remodeling is done.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM

110 posts, read 366,096 times
When we occasionally experience an earthquake, the usual reaction is to push away that drink because it doesn't feel like an earthquake. It feels like the ground moves to one side about 6" and then back and that's about it.

The only reason we have even the slightest of earthquake is a fault that runs along the base of the Sandia Mountains. It's said that our baby mountian is still growing.

There are no tornadoes in the valley where Albuquerque lies, due to the fact we have a high bluff to the west that runs the length of the city and beyond, and a high mountain to the east. Tornadoes never make it past the mountain.

Hurricanes would be quite a surprise. And we don't get micro-bursts, the way you've experienced. Again, the reason being the lay of the land.

We used to have massive sand storms but since all the building on the west bluff, those have become a thing of the past. High winds? Yes and it's annoying.
I doubt you will ever experience damaging hail, the way you're accustomed to.

We don't have rain drops. We have pretend rain drops. It doesn't know how to rain properly here. Atlanta knows what rain is. We do have thunder storms but again, our thunder has no idea how to put on a real show. Every now and then it manages to knock out a transformer. Now there's a light show.

We used to have blizzards on an average of once every 5 years. I don't think we've had one since 1970. ? And we don't have freezing rain.

On the exciting side, we have rattle snakes, black widows and centipedes. Oh, and real life roaches in certain areas of the city. Oh yeah, and we don't know how to properly grow roaches here. They don't get over maybe an inch long.

Oh yeah, and when the wind blows out of the north, we pollute El Paso. They love us.

When it rains here, it smells all fresh and nice. Not like the mold, where you are.

I'd say about the most horrible thing you'll experience is less skin rash and more dry skin.

Aaah...tell her everything's cool.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
Default Air Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by red46 View Post
Oh yeah, and when the wind blows out of the north, we pollute El Paso. They love us.
Huh? This is the second thread where you alleged that Albuquerque has an air pollution problem. This isn't true at all. The idea that ABQ could pollute El Paso, 230 miles to the south, is laughable. If the wind was blowing hard enough to get any pollution from here to there, it would all be dispersed long before it arrived there. And ABQ has no big industrial air pollution sources, which are what can get carried downwind a long ways.
El Paso does have a neighbor that's polluting it - Ciudad Juárez, right across the border. But it's certainly not Albuquerque.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Sure is windy today in Elephant Butte, what about your town?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM

110 posts, read 366,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Huh? This is the second thread where you alleged that Albuquerque has an air pollution problem. This isn't true at all. The idea that ABQ could pollute El Paso, 230 miles to the south, is laughable. If the wind was blowing hard enough to get any pollution from here to there, it would all be dispersed long before it arrived there. And ABQ has no big industrial air pollution sources, which are what can get carried downwind a long ways.
El Paso does have a neighbor that's polluting it - Ciudad Juárez, right across the border. But it's certainly not Albuquerque.
Now I remember why it's been months since my last visit here. Speaking as one who has watched this city grow into a grotesque spectacle over the past 50 years, and remembering that in 1950 you could stand on the crest and clearly see all the way to CO, the grey cloud over Albuquerque is obscene.

I truly don't care what the grey cloud is, I care that NY,NJ,VA and most of the eastern states, moved into our city in the 60's and brought with them pollution, lousy driving habits, and insults for the Pueblo Indians. They don't even know they were being insulting.

Albuquerque is not Albuquerque any more. The closest thing we had to an L.A. cloud was our sand storms. Where you're from God only knows.

Enjoy your statistics. I'm outta here again.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
"We used to have blizzards on an average of once every 5 years. I don't think we've had one since 1970. ?"

red46, apparently you weren't here Christmas 2006, when ABQ got 18 inches of snow in about a day.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Wasn't there a large snow in 1994 too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico