U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times
Default College Graduate going to New Mexico for his first slice of life.

Hello, i just graduated from Hofstra University on Long Island with a degree in film. I'm looking to move out to New Mexico with a buddy of mine to start our life, i hear lots of good things about New Mexico and I'm trying to do research to move down there. I'm just not sure where to go, where to live, where to work, and how far away is the film industry there. But i just needed some general information or some advice on what to do. PLEASE HELP! Anything people want to say would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,818,763 times
Anything? OK, here goes . . . the film industry is a hard nut to crack anywhere and very hard in NM. I have some young relatives who have been working around the periphery of the industry for years, just scraping by, after all these years. It's hard to make a living and get that big break. If it's your dream, do it while you're young and unencumbered, but realize you may be pursuing other work in order to pay the bills.

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM

2,783 posts, read 3,777,228 times
Looks like about 80% of New Mexico's film industry is based in Albuquerque. There are exceptions, but the major (for New Mexico, major) studios all seem to be based there.

Albuquerque is popular for film lately because:

*Offers similar-to-L.A. architecture and terrain, when desired
*It rarely rains here
*It is a quick planeflight from LA
*HUGE (albeit declining) subsidies from NM State Government
*Plenty of sets available, from old prisons, to old abandoned buildings and warehouses, to homes of every stripe, to acres and acres of nothingness
*Much better (in terms of cost and, to some, in terms of work ethic) than filming in Hollywood itself
*Union issues less of an issue (but still an issue)

Cheers. Just remember, "Would you like fries with that?" is an option in LA but out here, there's a lot more competition for that sort of job.

Unread 04-29-2009, 06:27 AM

32,160 posts, read 24,905,946 times
I suggest starting by making your own free lance documentaries. There is a tremendous amount of history and just about an equal amount of stories that should be told. Yeah, support it with the "fries with that" of "do you want your lawn cut" but, given the relatively inexpensive equipment, I suggest going for it.

Unread 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM

6,280 posts, read 9,541,554 times
I would call the Film Office in Santa Fe and talk to them too. I worked with them for a few years and they are good guys willing to help people.

Unread 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM

142 posts, read 211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Looks like about 80% of New Mexico's film industry is based in Albuquerque. There are exceptions, but the major (for New Mexico, major) studios all seem to be based there.

Albuquerque is popular for film lately because:

*Offers similar-to-L.A. architecture and terrain, when desired
*It rarely rains here
*It is a quick planeflight from LA
*HUGE (albeit declining) subsidies from NM State Government
*Plenty of sets available, from old prisons, to old abandoned buildings and warehouses, to homes of every stripe, to acres and acres of nothingness
*Much better (in terms of cost and, to some, in terms of work ethic) than filming in Hollywood itself
*Union issues less of an issue (but still an issue)

Cheers. Just remember, "Would you like fries with that?" is an option in LA but out here, there's a lot more competition for that sort of job.

yup all those are good reasons why you should choose alb!!!

Unread 04-29-2009, 06:59 PM

45,982 posts, read 34,738,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUME1 View Post
Hello, i just graduated from Hofstra University on Long Island with a degree in film. I'm looking to move out to New Mexico with a buddy of mine to start our life, i hear lots of good things about New Mexico and I'm trying to do research to move down there. I'm just not sure where to go, where to live, where to work, and how far away is the film industry there. But i just needed some general information or some advice on what to do. PLEASE HELP! Anything people want to say would be great!
Well first of all, do you have any leads on jobs? Even though NM isn't being hit as hard as other areas, this isn't the best time to think of moving without a means of support. That being said, NM is a great place to find adventure and a totally different life than the east.

Of course Albuquerque is the number one place for jobs and puts you in the middle of the state so you can venture down to Las Cruses, up to Sante Fe or even to Taos. It is a liberal state in many ways but values family life. Of course I am sure you know it has a very high population of Hispanics and Native Americans, making it pretty diverse.

You will find it very different from anywhere in the east.

Hope this gives you a little insight.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico