Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM

218 posts, read 840,466 times

Advertisements

I'll have two full days and an extra night in New Mexico this summer. I want to visit Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos; how would you recommend splitting up the time between these three places? I know that's not much time to see a lot, but I'm going to do as much as I possibly can in that timeframe.

What are some things I have to do while I'm there? I'm not really interested in the touristy things; I'm more interested in seeing the places, neighborhoods, sights, etc. that will give me the best feel of the places. I'm going around the country this summer to get a feel for a bunch of different places so I can narrow it down to a couple and go back next summer to explore them in depth.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM

390 posts, read 952,217 times
That is a difficult question. I would overnight in Santa Fe. Drive to Taos the next day. Day two to Albuquerque and overnight stay.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Take the Turquoise Trail between Albuquerque & Santa Fe. Look at this thread, it has some ideas: Vacation in Arizona & New Mexico

Rich

Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Turquoise Trail to Santa Fe and the High Road to Taos. Return by I-25. stop and smell the juniper.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Albuquerque to Santa Fe via the Turquoise Trail to Taos via the High Road to Taos is a nice scenic trip, but I have never been able to do it in one day. The trip going up is 150 miles and is not at turnpike speeds, there is a lot to see.

ABQ to Santa Fe to Taos, nm - Google Maps

The return by route 68 and I-25 is about 132 miles.

That is just a lot for one day. I have no doubt some people may do it or claim to do it.

Albuquerque to Santa Fe via the Turquoise Trail, stop and shop in Santa Fe return via I25.

Albuquerque to Sandia Peak then on to Santa Fe via the Turquoise Trail, stop and shop in Santa Fe return via I25, can be done in one day.

Albuquerque to Santa Fe via the Turquoise Trail, stop and shop in Santa Fe return via I25 stopping at Cochiti Lake, is OK, not best unless you gotta check out Cochiti Lake.

Albuquerque to Santa Fe via the Turquoise Trail to Los Alamos to Jemez Springs continue South to San Ysidro to I25 back to Albuquerque is 203 miles and just too much for me.

I have done all of the above, and variations, once on motorcycle, but I am old and slow. I like to stop and eat, visit the locations and take a break take short walks and enjoy....

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico