Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM

61 posts, read 129,255 times

Advertisements

So the old adage that I've heard a thousand times since moving here, "New Mexico... Old Mexico... IT'S ALL MEXICO" isn't true?!?!?

SVG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Valley Gal View Post
I can't imagine making the jump directly from Boston to NM - that would be really hard.
I did, 17 years ago this summer. I moved from Sommerville to attend UNM when I was 22.

The hardest adjustment for me was that at first I thought everyone had a hidden agenda because they were so nice to me. People look you in the eye, smile and say "hi" just because you walk by them, and service workers tell you to have a nice day. I think the first time I checked out at Walgreens I went into shock because the cashier actually looked at me and chatted with me.

The second hardest adjustment was that, like SVG said, things...move...very...slowly...here when compared to the northeast. Especially Boston, where you will get run down on a sidewalk if you are standing still.

I think if you have an open mind and can adjust, you can make the jump directly. If you expect things to work the way they do in Boston, you're outta luck.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM

24 posts, read 112,174 times
As the original author of this thread, thank you again to everyone for your individual insight. The fact of the matter is, I have always been (with the exception of my college years in Vermont) a conservative, urban, east coast product. From within hours of finishing grad school I was working with clients and agencies over seas as a consultant for private placement investments and wholesale commodities. This international position was the reason I had relocated to Miami. Needless to say, a hedge fund I worked with out of Panama crumbled, and the losses were "beyond repair".

Now, after eight years of working in fast paced, restless, and never ending financial markets, I am in need of a dynamic and profound change of pace and lifestyle. For more than just a few reasons, my career in trading financial instruments, consulting on humanitarian endeavors, and advising corporate investment strategy is over.

I am still young, still learning, and still open to change. Boston, Miami, New York, Philadelphia etc.......it doesn't work for me anymore. I have never had a negative experience with anyone from New Mexico, and remain intrigued by the differences in life style and perspective that appear so evident in the details of these "threads". I need a new career, a new approach, and a place to finally call home. More than that however, I need simplicity, quiet, and peace of mind.

I asked a man I worked with in Panama once where in the United States we were not living some Orwellian Nightmare.......he took a puff of his cigar, smiled, and said in the US he only knew of one such place.....New Mexico. That was three years ago......and in the overcast of recent events my life has given me a chance to start again. The way I figure it is, any advice from a 70 year old Panamanian man with a cigar in his mouth is good enough for me.

So with that being said......I am grateful beyond words for any and all feedback regarding New Mexico, and the life that is lived there. Thank You again to everyone.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
I made the move from Maine to NM last summer, at the ripe old age of 54, having always lived in Maine.
It was a shock, but a very welcome one. I have always been fascinated by the West (guess I was pioneer in a previous life or something), so I felt right at home upon coming out here.

We enjoy the slower pace here. My husband does tell me that people are work will say to him, "you are finished on that job already?" For him, old habits die hard.

ABQ is nothing like Boston, thank goodness. I feel safe here, which is more than I can say for Boston. You will hear folks say that the traffic in ABQ is terrible. Its a piece of cake compared to Boston.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red46 View Post
Forgive me for asking, but wasn't I responding to the original author? I assumed, by the questions, that they were looking for something in particular.
I've lived in NM since 1954. I think I know what shakes around this state. I never said Albuq. was my favorite part.
judy
Referring to a the greater part of the state as "cowtown and dust" reflects how little you know about what "shakes" around this state. Just my opinion.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM

110 posts, read 366,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Referring to a the greater part of the state as "cowtown and dust" reflects how little you know about what "shakes" around this state. Just my opinion.
How long since you've seen Deming?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 PM

110 posts, read 366,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Wait a sec. Greater part? How did the SE and SW corner, become the greater part?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Default Dang! That was tongue in cheek, and I almost missed it

Quote:
The center of life, in NM, is Albuquerque and surrounding areas. Anything north of Santa Fe, tends to be rural and spread out. Anything south of Albuquerque, is country/farming/rural and south of Belen is sand. Socorro is a college town and that's about it.

East of Albuq. is mountains and then the flat lands. Roswell is 'Cow Town'. Los Alamos and Alamogordo are military flavored, all the way. Ruidoso, centers around the race track and tourism(mountainous).

Those are the highlights. The southwest corner of the state is cow town and dust. The southeast corner is the same.
Oh, I get it! With these [pretend] gross generalizations, Red is just making sure that we don't make New Mexico sound like a place where everyone would want to move to.

Thanks, Red, you really had us all going for a minute there.

~clairz

Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Sooooooooooooo, how do you like the mountains? aren't they well like.... Godly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I made the move from Maine to NM last summer, at the ripe old age of 54, having always lived in Maine.
It was a shock, but a very welcome one. I have always been fascinated by the West (guess I was pioneer in a previous life or something), so I felt right at home upon coming out here.

We enjoy the slower pace here. My husband does tell me that people are work will say to him, "you are finished on that job already?" For him, old habits die hard.

ABQ is nothing like Boston, thank goodness. I feel safe here, which is more than I can say for Boston. You will hear folks say that the traffic in ABQ is terrible. Its a piece of cake compared to Boston.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Quote:
Wait a sec. Greater part? How did the SE and SW corner, become the greater part?
Probably! Because I wouldn't give you 2 cents for Tucumcari (northeast)in the winter months! the se and sw are the best parts of the state, except for the middle portion, ruidoso, timberon, etc, etc, etc............. se best in summer, sw in winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico