U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 PM

24 posts, read 92,324 times

Advertisements

I have spent a fair amount of time actively examining these threads the last few days, and this comes after nearly two months of extensive research about New Mexico as a state, community, and potential future home. During this time I have read about specific places where I have considered the prospect of relocating to......including Roswell.

Many reports have indicated that Roswell is growing in a very positive, progressive, and fluid direction. However, other reports have referred to Roswell as "CTR" or "Crazy Town Roswell". Now, while I acknowledge that the youth of any community regularly find a sense of distorted pride in their own crime rate, I was curious as to individual resident perspectives on this less than desirable nickname.

I have read that Roswell has had an inordinate amount of violent crimes between 2001 and 2006, but had made vast improvements the last couple of years. Now, I have lived in various east coast cities, as well as traveled regularly both within and outside the country, and therfore understand there is crime everywhere. However, I feel inclined to ask, is the City of Roswell really as "crazy" as their younger generation would like to think it is?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank You.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,145,525 times
I have some cousins from Roswell,one moved because someone is trying to kill him, someone actually shot at him in a restaurant parking lot, the others that live there live the crazy town Roswell life so yeah there is a crazy side to Roswell just trust me on this but if you have no affiliations to gangs or drugs and you hang around with decent people then it should be like living in any other city.

From what I hear Roswell is improving though,I remember watching a story about gangs in Roswell on Dateline NBC years and years ago,Im not sure if its still as wild as it use to be but it does have a bad rap, I use to live an hour from Roswell and growing up it was always known as a crazy town. Lots of drive-bys there for some reason.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM

452 posts, read 1,490,431 times
My brother works at the prison there; it's full. BUT, they send bad guys from other parts of the state, as they do to the one in Hobbs...so...who knows.

I pass thru going to Ruidoso when I visit every couple of years..and have seen the way it's growing. I'd contact the Chamber of Commerce and a real estate company if I were really interested in moving there. It's close enough to Ruidoso to enjoy that part of the state also.

When you say "Roswell" to most people, all they hear is "UFO". That's kinda sad.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
It is. This area certainly has had its ups and downs. It is used to things folding up. When Walker AFB shut down in the 60's, it really hurt the area. They had one of the last factories, along with Albuquerque, which manufactured Levi jeans shut down a few years ago. A manufacturing plant that made parts for greyhound buses closed around the same time. But they seem to hang in there.

In the early 90's they were having a rough go and a not so complimentary article appeared in the Denver Post about the unemployment, drug, and gang problems in the area, especially around RIAC. Only one problem, though. Colorado's unemployment was stinking to high heaven themselves. In the late 80's-early 90's the rocky mountain west was the last to come out of the recession at that time.

In the mid-90's I stayed in the area for a week, looking at properties, and almost moved there, but stayed where I was at.

IMHO not a lot was heard about the Roswell "incident" until the late 80's or so. I didn't break down and get cable tv until the mid 80's but when I did I would tune in to several cable stations and would see different tv programs talking about the "alleged" ufo crash. IMO what really cranked the publicity was when NBC's Tales Of Unsolved Mysteries took a crack at the theory. I used to watch the show religiously, and host Robert Stack done a good job with the past history, current interviews with local people, etc. TOUM at that time had great ratings, and as far as I'm concerned, that show created a lot of interest in the area.

In 1997 the town was full of media; CNN, MSNBC, the major networks, and lots of newspaper people converged on the area to "celebrate the 50 year anniversary of the Roswell Event." In a humorous way, it put Roswell on the map. And the businesses and townspeople are nobodies fools, they marketed it for what it was worth. All sorts of stuff was marketed from earrings to t-shirts to bumper stickers. I still have my 50 year commemorative Roswell ufo glow in the dark yoyo. Woohoo!

When you experience hard times, you do everything you can to market an area. Who wouldn't?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-10-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Desert Sun is right. I'm not sure of total figures, but the area's crime rate certainly was over the average. But things have improved the last few years. I have a friend who lives south of there and there has been better results, the last couple years. But they still have a ways to go.

Growth west of town, some nice homes on 2 and 5 acre lots. Also in the northwest part of town. Putting in a Sam's Club has helped, because other than the mall, Walmart, and mom and pop stores downtown you don't have a lot of variety. And it is a LONG ways from big cities; Albuquerque-200 plus miles, El Paso-same distance. Most people go to Lubbock for major shopping.

They do have a couple nice art museums, and they have their own symphony orchestra.

The area is pretty conservative, one of the reasons for that being NMMI, (New Mexico Military Institute), located just north of downtown.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 92,324 times
Thank you again everyone. Sincerely, this information is invaluable.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,812 times
I was born and raised in New Mexico. I lived in Carlsbad and moved to Roswell a few years back. I will also tell you that " I am on my way OUT". We have had 5 murders this month and the burglary rate here is HORRID!!!!!!! If you value your safety and the contents of your home DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 PM

AlleyMcB stated it correctly in regards to the shootings. I have a friend who lives south of there and people are shaking their heads, wondering what the hell brought this on.

To my knowledge, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't any murders this year in Roswell until just about a week ago. Now a total of five in the space of a little less of a week. From what little I know, at least the Roswell Police Department at least has suspects involved in these.

You wonder what the hell goes through peoples minds sometimes. Very sad.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-18-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanero10 View Post
Many reports have indicated that Roswell is growing in a very positive, progressive, and fluid direction. However, other reports have referred to Roswell as "CTR" or "Crazy Town Roswell".
Roswell is not crime free, there are plenty of places on the internet where you can get reliable data on the crime rate. Try Google.com So for the record, I have never seen any crime while in Roswell....

Now, I would like to see these alleged reports that have referred to Roswell as "CTR" or "Crazy Town Roswell".

Rich

Old 06-18-2009, 06:48 PM

141 posts, read 322,639 times
Haha here in Clovis everyone calls it the '' durrty curry'' Its on almost everyones myspace ect..even the commisioners use the name jkjk..but I dont think its something to be proud abt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or