Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
For the record...a lot of Rez food is bland and ordinary. Have had some good stuff, but in a lot of years of crawling Navajo land I' ve always found most chow not special at all. But those glorious exceptions...mmmmm.
Bland and ordinary. I haven't tried it often enough to find any special rez food. I guess my bland experiences didn't encourage me to try more often. What I had I could cook better myself.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:27 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Ahhh, please send $9.95 to the address on your screen, and coyote mutz' will send you a 30 minute cassette instruction tape which will teach you step by step, how to sound exactly like a southwestern new mexico coyote. please add $5.95 for shipping to canada and mexico, or, meet me at the el paso border, and I'll hand it over to ya duty free.
small print: 5th. of scotch and full moon not included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The conversion of the southwest into imitation anywhere else is done because people want to move to the SW but don't really want to leave home. So they bring the architectural styles with them. A New England home designed over the generations to provide shelter in rain, snow and ice storms along with bitter cold is entirely inappropriate to New Mexico. Houses derived from local native houses or imported from desert Mexico or Spain make much more sense. That and the availability of material and labor is why so many older NM homes are flat roofed adobes.

PS - where can I get wild coyote recordings so I can establish a New Mexico ambiance when I move into my tile roofed adobe cave.

I am really looking for a one room 600 sq ft house with indoor plumbing and a shed for my motorcycle. I may have trouble selling this concept to my wife.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Ahhh, please send $9.95 to the address on your screen, and coyote mutz' will send you a 30 minute cassette instruction tape which will teach you step by step, how to sound exactly like a southwestern new mexico coyote. please add $5.95 for shipping to canada and mexico, or, meet me at the el paso border, and I'll hand it over to ya duty free.
small print: 5th. of scotch and full moon not included.
Please send 2 ASAP, but I need the 5th of scotch also. JWRorBorW please. Is it available on DVD or CD?. I no longer have a cassette player.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Is there an Extended Cut Director's Version? Hopefully unrated?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 PM

65 posts, read 36,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
... Eastern style and technology reached New Mexico over 150 years ago and had a major effect on homes and other structures. That's enough time to make it authentic in my book. I live in an adobe Pueblo style house, but don't think of it as any more "New Mexican" than the territorial or territorial Victorian homes that you'll find gracing historic neighborhoods throughout New Mexico's towns and cities.
For the record...a lot of Rez food is bland and ordinary. Have had some good stuff, but in a lot of years of crawling Navajo land I' ve always found most chow not special at all. But those glorious exceptions...mmmmm.
Not in my book, it isn't!
With the same kind of "argument" you could start building Bavarian farm houses in NM and claim "just let it sit there for a while and it'll be authentic".

What is authentic to NM is so obvious that I really fail to see why it has to be explained.
Adobe houses belong in NM, exactly because of what they are made of.
Earth & Dirt. NM kind of earth & dirt.
That means they put as little strain on the environment as necessary from the get go, and later on they also require less energy to cool them in the summer and less heat to warm then in the winter, because of their thick walls.
The flat rooftop also doubles as a veranda and can be used to ventilate the whole building (an A/C w/o AC).

East Coast style thin wall wood buildings don't belong to NM exactly because of the resource required to build them - wood.
Wood requires trees and trees are one of the scarcest resource in a desert state such as NM. Their thin walls and large glass windows also require a lot more energy to cool them during the summer and even more to warm then in the winter. And that kind of energy waste in turn contributes to global warming, which makes the whole desert calamity even worse in turn.

One of the main reasons that America has the absolute highest waste of Energy per person in the whole wide world is the refusal of transplants to live in harmony with their chosen environment.
Thus maybe East Coast style thin wall wood buildings don't belong in many parts of the Northern US either.

That's what makes Adobe and Pueblo style buildings "authentic" to NM.
Because the early settlers could not afford to be at war with Nature, they had no choice but to live in harmony with it and thus they choose a building style which strains the environment as little as possible, while having the highest energy & maintenance efficiency for a desert climate.

Why do you think that desert buildings all "look alike" in principle, from New to Old Mexico, from Algeria to Morocco, from Timbuktu to the Gobi desert?
Because the Native peoples of those regions all had to find efficient ways to build their homes, while putting as little strain on their environment as possible.

And if you found most Rez food "bland and ordinary", may I suggest you just didn't eat at the right places ...

Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM

What a great post!
but, you must have seen the gila cliff dwellings??!!
and, this is just my opinion, but I think part of the reason buildings in the southwest are made of sand/stone masonry materials is because of the thing feared most about the people who have long lived in the great southwest, and that is fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
Not in my book, it isn't!
With the same kind of "argument" you could start building Bavarian farm houses in NM and claim "just let it sit there for a while and it'll be authentic".

What is authentic to NM is so obvious that I really fail to see why it has to be explained.
Adobe houses belong in NM, exactly because of what they are made of.
Earth & Dirt. NM kind of earth & dirt.
That means they put as little strain on the environment as necessary from the get go, and later on they also require less energy to cool them in the summer and less heat to warm then in the winter, because of their thick walls.
The flat rooftop also doubles as a veranda and can be used to ventilate the whole building (an A/C w/o AC).

East Coast style thin wall wood buildings don't belong to NM exactly because of the resource required to build them - wood.
Wood requires trees and trees are one of the scarcest resource in a desert state such as NM. Their thin walls and large glass windows also require a lot more energy to cool them during the summer and even more to warm then in the winter. And that kind of energy waste in turn contributes to global warming, which makes the whole desert calamity even worse in turn.

One of the main reasons that America has the absolute highest waste of Energy per person in the whole wide world is the refusal of transplants to live in harmony with their chosen environment.
Thus maybe East Coast style thin wall wood buildings don't belong in many parts of the Northern US either.

That's what makes Adobe and Pueblo style buildings "authentic" to NM.
Because the early settlers could not afford to be at war with Nature, they had no choice but to live in harmony with it and thus they choose a building style which strains the environment as little as possible, while having the highest energy & maintenance efficiency for a desert climate.

Why do you think that desert buildings all "look alike" in principle, from New to Old Mexico, from Algeria to Morocco, from Timbuktu to the Gobi desert?
Because the Native peoples of those regions all had to find efficient ways to build their homes, while putting as little strain on their environment as possible.

And if you found most Rez food "bland and ordinary", may I suggest you just didn't eat at the right places ...

Old 05-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Is there an Extended Cut Director's Version? Hopefully unrated?
Yes, but as with anything like that, it's much more expensive, mainly because of the content (vulgarity & stupid public intoxication) and because we have to pay lawyers exorbitant fees to keep us out of court for being offensive, all rights reserved. (yeah right)

Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
... please add $5.95 for shipping to canada and mexico...
How can you ship something to Canada and Mexico? Don't you have to pick one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post

Yet you explained it, well. You have more patience than I.

Maybe the architecture has to be seen to understand it, and once you've seen it you don't need to have it explained?

Quote:
What a great post!
but, you must have seen the gila cliff dwellings??!!
and, this is just my opinion, but I think part of the reason buildings in the southwest are made of sand/stone masonry materials is because of the thing feared most about the people who have long lived in the great southwest, and that is fire.
Maybe they feared the ancient enemies of their ancestors.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:51 PM

65 posts, read 36,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe the architecture has to be seen to understand it, and once you've seen it you don't need to have it explained?

The reason why they used sandstone and adobe dirt to built their houses instead of wood is much more prosaic.
We are in a high elevation desert climate here and you can either keep your woods to stabilize the underground water table and to host game in them, or start building houses with them.

You can use brush and dead wood for fire, but when it comes to building homes you have to choose.
Keep that bunch of trees alive for coming generations or chop them down for a one time housing endeavor, that'll be eaten up by termites or cracked to dust by the desert sun after 10-15 years anyway.

If people don't start accepting that we live in an area with very tight resources, we will loose the South West as an inhabitable area.
It has happened before in the Plain States, which never recovered from the Great Dust Storms caused by the incompetent agricultural politics of the pre-New Deal era.

If we are not careful the South West will be next on the depopulation train to the coast.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
How can you ship something to Canada and Mexico? Don't you have to pick one?

Yet you explained it, well. You have more patience than I.

Yes, maybe. and, maybe, one day we will all be extint.
sorry, pick one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico