Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Alison, like I've said on another forum, you have some beautiful pottery.
I second that.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have not moved there yet. I will decorate my adobe house in the "pastel, howling coyote, Indian feathered, dreamcatcher" style just to be sarcastic. Adding an almost dead '62 Chevy pick up truck to the back yard will complete the scene.
This thread is hilarious!

Actually I would love a house like that. Do some houses in NM have the clay tile roofs and stucco too?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameBen View Post
I'm intrigued by the state, the desert, the emptiness, the dusty bustling towns of 500k and also the (perceived) affordable, moderately liberal lifestyle of New Mexico.

But I know I *really* do not like pastels, or howling coyote stencils, or indian feathers, or really even dream catchers all that much.

No offense if you do like or own these things....more power to ya!...feel free to defend your purchases if you want...but my question is: Are they an integral part of the culture that I would be moving into and (therefore) things I should accept if I am going to be moving there?

Or are they just tired cliches that are only used in travel brochures & real estate videos?

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW this is my 1st post, but I've been watching from the sidelines for a while!
I love this site!

While the dusty is accurate, as far as I know we only have 1 town in NM that is even close to 500K in population, everything else is under 100K.

As far as sarcasm on here, yep it exists as it does on just about every other forum on CD. If people based a move on replies they get on CD they would never move. When you go to a forum and "slam" someones town or state, whether it be intentional or not, the sarcasm tends to come into play. NM is not for everyone that is for sure but the best advise is come and stay for an extended vacation. For me personally I don't see that it is any more friendly than any other place I have been to, our local radio station touts our town as the friendliest place on earth and I just scoff everytime I hear that. I suppose it like everything else in life depends on one persons opinion.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Wow. I go grocery shopping and look what I have missed.

Yes, the turquoise inspector was by this morning and I have gotten a warning that I don't own enough turquoise and silver jewelry (can't say I own one single piece).

I thought the thread was funny. And I enjoyed the photos.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
TigerLily24 quoted, but did not take full advantage:

> Originally Posted by UsernameBen
>> (And Green Chile, sheesh you'd think a New Mexican actually
>> invented the sauce or something the way people carry on about it.)

> When we are asked serious questions, we give serious answers.

When I read this originally, I was going to say something, but then did not.

Now I will:

GREEN CHILE IS NOT A SAUCE! <-- ( yelling )

Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
As a longtime professional buyer of arts and crafts from the Southwest and Mexico, my advice is that the best possible place to seek out howling coyotes, kokopelli anything/everything, plaster sculptures of really really wrinkled Indian men or improbably beautiful Indian maidens (without a single wrinkle or blemish), dreamcatchers, prints of timberwolves with mountains and lakes in the background etc. is at the gift shops in one of the fine Truckstops that can be found throughout the Southwest. These highly specialized Galleries seem to have their finger on the pulse of American low taste and cliche, and can also be relied on to have a nice selection of rattlesnake eggs, tiny cacti in pots, silver colored Navajo style jewelry set with solid Turquoisite-tine and lovely genuine "*****" beaded goods made in Chanzhou, China. Often the browser can purchase and ice cream cone to make the shopping more tasty and nourishing.
The highbrow version of this can be found in galleries all over Santa Fe, in lovely oil paintings depicting idealized Indians (usually including cute kids) in picture perfect museum-grade historic garb, painted by semi-retired white commercial artists. The price is different, but that's about all.
Cowboys get the same treatment, usually by the same people and for the same high prices.

Seriously..and Im trying to keep a straight face....how can anyone post the OP's question and expect a serious answer? HEE-HEE!
Howling Coyotes went off the screen almost 20 years ago along with pastel stepped fret rugs and uphostery, and Kokopelli has been dead and buried (again) for at least a decade. The only place I want to see a Koko is on a rock, in the desert, and a few centuries old, thank you.
This cartoon (and I hope Ive posted this correctly) kinda sums it up. My wife has another hilarious but similar one of the Wicked Witch of the Southwest, on a broom with cowboy hat, boots squashblossom & concha belt and a chile ristra instead of bristles on the broom.
http://www.compostablematter.com/uploaded_images/123781923_7de14e6ab8-749750.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Love it.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Not that I don't LOVE a good cliche...

YouTube - Riders in the Sky @ Philly Folk Fest - Goodbye Saddle Pal

Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM

261 posts, read 936,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameBen View Post
I'm intrigued by the state, ...

Sorry. We're full. Keep moving.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
This thread is hilarious!

Actually I would love a house like that. Do some houses in NM have the clay tile roofs and stucco too?
Quite a few, particularly here in Las Cruces. I am looking at two right out my office window as I type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico