Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Silver City - don't rule it out.
I would love not to. What are the prices of land outhere? 5+ acre lots. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 PM

51 posts, read 157,189 times
What about somewhere near Ramah?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Native View Post
What about somewhere near Ramah?
I know nothing of it. Can you tell me more?
Thanks!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Hello,

I found some really nice looking land around the Datil/Pie Town area. Can anyone tell me anything about these towns? Crime? Are people friendly to outsiders?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 PM

390 posts, read 951,990 times
Just thru there today. Mostly a mix of ranchers and artists. People are wonderful. Land needs rehab due to drought and over-grazing. No crime to my knowledge. No gangs maybe a little petty theft. Fairly isolated. Nearest towns are Socorro, NM and Springerville, AZ. One can be very insulated there. Depends on what you are looking for. I like the Capitan and Ruidoso area for the many events you can attend. You can be as isolated as you want, left alone but have activities to participate in if desired.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I found some really nice looking land around the Datil/Pie Town area.
Very small towns... how isolated do you want to be? Plenty of pretty land to the west of there also if you like to be away from everything.

I like the Silver City area a lot, but it seems to be californicated. Everything was really cheap 20 years ago, but now the land is more expensive than around Ruidoso. SC has ~10k population so pretty full-service, but you have to drive for 2 hrs to get to a bigger town.

Besides the land, what else are your priorities? Stuff like climate (hot desert to lush pine forest with lots of snow are options), shopping, recreation and other activities, etc. How far from a town with what sort of amenities? Is an hour away from a Walmart good enough, or do you (and especially your wife) want more? Also, most larger parcels are accessed via dirt roads... sometimes steep roads that are hard to get through during winter snow and summer flood. Are you ok with that? Etc.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 19,702 times
Smile Move to small town NM

I spent over a year looking for the right place in NM to move to; from a rural town on central coast of CA (Cambria) and settled in Truth or Consequences 3 years ago. Love the weather, not TOO hot in summer and never have to shovel snow; we really are in a little micro-climate here. Plus only an hour from Cruces and 2 from Albq., near 2 lakes and the Rio Grande River (to be near water in NM is great) and 10 bath houses with hot mineral water from the huge underground springs. I suggest you check out the Herald newspaper which they post online a week or two after publication. It has real estate classifieds and there seem to be plenty of places near here (Caballo, Cuchillo, Elephant Butte) with 10 acres. I'll tell you Hillsboro is priced higher than most other areas of Sierra County for some reason. There ARE drugs here; there are drugs EVERYWHERE, but it's never affected our lives in any way. I couldn't even tell you a neighborhood that's considered a druggie neighborhood, and if you're living on 10 acres, can't imagine why those people would affect you. There's also a growing recycle/green/sustainable/off the grid movement going on here. Not saying anything wrong with SC or Ruidoso, but both were too pricey for me and too much winter in Ruidoso. And I LOVE all the water here! We floated down the Rio Grande 4 days ago for the first time this season; lovely, fun...

Old 05-24-2009, 03:04 PM

206 posts, read 535,092 times
Hey Ognend, you might consider Southeast Arizona, I live 8 miles outside of Douglas, bought 10 acres with mobile, (well/septic).Payed 32,000.00. It's brushland with mountains all around, I have a saddle mule that I ride and cattle are all around. Walmart, restaurants, e.t.c. are in Douglas, (10,000) population. Average daytime highs in Jan. are 61. Average highs in August are about 95.(4000 feet). You could buy a 4 acre property, with manufactered home, (well, septic), for about sixty to eighty thou. Wer'e 20 miles east of Bisbee, about 30 miles from Tombstone. Iv'e been here five years, lived at the beach in San Diego for almost 20 years and decided to 'go country'. Mike B

Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Hey Ognend, you might consider Southeast Arizona, I live 8 miles outside of Douglas, bought 10 acres with mobile, (well/septic).Payed 32,000.00. It's brushland with mountains all around, I have a saddle mule that I ride and cattle are all around. Walmart, restaurants, e.t.c. are in Douglas, (10,000) population. Average daytime highs in Jan. are 61. Average highs in August are about 95.(4000 feet). You could buy a 4 acre property, with manufactered home, (well, septic), for about sixty to eighty thou. Wer'e 20 miles east of Bisbee, about 30 miles from Tombstone. Iv'e been here five years, lived at the beach in San Diego for almost 20 years and decided to 'go country'. Mike B
Mike, thanks for the tip! I would be interested in finding out more.
Ognen

Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Very small towns... how isolated do you want to be? Plenty of pretty land to the west of there also if you like to be away from everything.

I like the Silver City area a lot, but it seems to be californicated. Everything was really cheap 20 years ago, but now the land is more expensive than around Ruidoso. SC has ~10k population so pretty full-service, but you have to drive for 2 hrs to get to a bigger town.

Besides the land, what else are your priorities? Stuff like climate (hot desert to lush pine forest with lots of snow are options), shopping, recreation and other activities, etc. How far from a town with what sort of amenities? Is an hour away from a Walmart good enough, or do you (and especially your wife) want more? Also, most larger parcels are accessed via dirt roads... sometimes steep roads that are hard to get through during winter snow and summer flood. Are you ok with that? Etc.
rruf,

We are looking for a place to ride our horses and generally be away from the rat race. Not too much snow and not too much heat either. Forest would be nicer than barren land. Love mountains. Being an hour from Walmart is perfect. Dirt roads are fine, we got a 4x4 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico