Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 PM

246 posts, read 629,171 times

Advertisements

Here in the midwest it has been a crazy summer - we didn't go thru
that period of 100 sultry degree heat with no rain, instead we've
had average temps in the 70s for July (???) and steady rain over
the month.

I've given more cucumbers away than we've eaten, I was gone for
3 days and picked 24 of them out of the garden - I'm sick of them!!
The sweet corn is finished and did well this year - have a bunch
in the freezer. Tomatoes doing well and I'm going to have to start
freezing them soon. Green beans the same as tomatoes. Just
enough peppers to eat and that is fine. Watermelon, well it
had better move faster - at this rate we'll be eating home grown
watermelon in December!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Here we have had some strange weather as well: my tomatoes, that I used to harvest in NM until Nov are about gone except for the little pear ones and I can't pick them fast enough. My squash is still doing fine, I think we will be picking for another 3 or 4 weeks and are getting tired of it. Thank god I have a good recipe for almond zuchini bread.. The green beans are ok, not great and the cukes really didn't do much, but our neighbors can't give theirs away fast enough. Next year I am going to allow more room. I think I have everything way to crowded this year.

Nita

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM

74 posts, read 268,379 times
Hailstorm & 2 1/2" rain in about an hour wiped out my wifes' gardens as well as all her potted plants on the deck yesterday evening. Made her sick. The fresh vegies were nice for a while.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddley View Post
Hailstorm & 2 1/2" rain in about an hour wiped out my wifes' gardens as well as all her potted plants on the deck yesterday evening. Made her sick. The fresh vegies were nice for a while.
that sucks, we got a heck of a lot of rain here, but no hail. My garden fell in love with the weather yesterday. I have started pulling up some of my squash plants. They are just to crowded and hard to control, besides I can only give so much away.

Nita

Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Thumbs up Garden...really just now getting going....

Lack of rain...and having to water..and working the garden in a new area will take some time.
This fall I will load it up with fertilizer...cow, chicken, horse and mulch and let it sit over winter...that's the secret out here in this dry arid high country.

I will put in some fall things this week, turnips, broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets, spinch..to see how a fall crop might do.

We are in desperate need of rain on the west side..
Sorry to hear that the east side got hail and 2.5 inches of rain too much all at once...

But, have gotten some crook neck and more coming on, a few peas and beans, more beans coming on, and the melon's (not this year), tomatoes..if they hurry up, corn...short and not to big around....lot's of radish earlier, carrots are working on it, onions look good...

That's all folks.

HW and Suninhair..

Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
The heat these past couple of weeks really got the tomatoes going good. Now I'm getting so many tomatoes every day. Zukes also. The peppers just never did get going very well. That is a learning experience as I will plant them in there own planter next year and water them less. Cantaloupe, cucumber and eggplant are still coming along nicely. I actually have wild tomato plants growing in my gravel that I have not even cared for much producing tomatoes.

The garden sure enjoyed the few hours of rain we got yesterday and the sprinkles we are currently getting.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:39 PM

96 posts, read 380,552 times
Angry the garden is going downhill

Some kind of BUG or CRITTER has eaten all the squash and pumpkin and beans, from the middle of the stem out...

I have set a number of mouse traps and rat traps and catch one or 2 mice each night, and an occassional rat...the plants are covered with fine mesh and the garden is wired in twice...sooo.....

what is this...the stems of the squash and pumkin are dragged away and dropped..

I was also thinking Raven's as they are seen... flying away in the AM from the garden..

HAD A NICE GARDEN AND NOW....its the pits.

HW and Bestemor...

Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestemor View Post
Some kind of BUG or CRITTER has eaten all the squash and pumpkin and beans, from the middle of the stem out...

I have set a number of mouse traps and rat traps and catch one or 2 mice each night, and an occassional rat...the plants are covered with fine mesh and the garden is wired in twice...sooo.....

what is this...the stems of the squash and pumkin are dragged away and dropped..

I was also thinking Raven's as they are seen... flying away in the AM from the garden..

HAD A NICE GARDEN AND NOW....its the pits.

HW and Bestemor...
If it was the squash and pumpkins I would say, squash bugs, but the beans? don't have a clue. I did have Japanese beetle like crazy but they mostly ate the leaves of everything. I will say my garden is sadly going to the whatevers. I do have a few more squash and blossoms and my tomatoes have made a comeback, but still the summer is about ended.

Nita

Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. doing well.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 AM

229 posts, read 655,460 times
If it hadn't been for the house fire back if Feb. i would have had a garden. But you can't have one staying with family and friends even if they were in a bucket. The last few years I did tomato's and peppers, but the tomato plants the fruit came out pink and red and they were just fabulous. My peppers, I would mix them to be fertilize with the hot ones and they would do good. But I could not do alot of different for my ground was nothing but rock. And i mean rock. Can't plant alot on top of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico