U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM

147 posts, read 227,104 times

Advertisements

After an all too stressful job and chronic sleep deprivation last year, my health kind of fell apart. I also have other significant disabilities, and with all of this combined (and in the current economy), I might not be able to get/find/keep work. I was approved for SSI for the other issues several years ago. I'm still actively looking for work, but when unemployment runs out, I may have to request to go back on SSI.

New Mexico is my home state, so I really can't see myself wanting to live elsewhere. I also don't want to fall back to the parent's house unless I absolutely have to.

I'd probably need to rent a room, and not even consider apartments. I have a scooter for basic transportation, and could leave the car at the parent's place to avoid paying insurance on it (the scooter is about $10/mo for liability-only insurance. The car is $50). I may also be able to get on a family plan to reduce the cell phone bill.

As for places I've lived already,

Ruidoso - I lived there the longest and liked it the best
Silver City - It's nice, and where the parents live right now
Alamogordo
Farmington
Socorro - I mostly went there for New Mexico Tech.
Albuquerque - I'm here right now. It's way too big/dense/sprawling for me. I'm here almost exclusively for job hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
you may consider a tent in the desert? I hate to be negative, but living anywhere on less than $700 per month is going to be pretty darn tough. Food alone will cost a min of of $35.00 a week, which is about $160.00 a month, I am not sure about a room, but figure maybe $400.00 a month. That leaves you about $100 a month for everything else.

Good luck, I hope you can, at least find a part time job, a few hours a day. Actually NM has a low unemployment rate compared to a lot of places.

Nita

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,786,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
After an all too stressful job and chronic sleep deprivation last year, my health kind of fell apart. I also have other significant disabilities, and with all of this combined (and in the current economy), I might not be able to get/find/keep work. I was approved for SSI for the other issues several years ago. I'm still actively looking for work, but when unemployment runs out, I may have to request to go back on SSI.

New Mexico is my home state, so I really can't see myself wanting to live elsewhere. I also don't want to fall back to the parent's house unless I absolutely have to.

I'd probably need to rent a room, and not even consider apartments. I have a scooter for basic transportation, and could leave the car at the parent's place to avoid paying insurance on it (the scooter is about $10/mo for liability-only insurance. The car is $50). I may also be able to get on a family plan to reduce the cell phone bill.

As for places I've lived already,

Ruidoso - I lived there the longest and liked it the best
Silver City - It's nice, and where the parents live right now
Alamogordo
Farmington
Socorro - I mostly went there for New Mexico Tech.
Albuquerque - I'm here right now. It's way too big/dense/sprawling for me. I'm here almost exclusively for job hunting.
YES! do you own a camper or a van!!??? if yes, there are National Forest Lands and BLM Lands where camping is FREE. we (2 of us w/dog) camped in our GMC van for about 1 1/2 years, and we bounced from camp springtime and luna in the Cibola N.F., to Upper Galinas and Railroad Canyon campgrounds in the Gila N.F., and then stayed at Elephant Butte lake State Park and City Of Rocks State Park other times. Cellular telephone service is spotty, you'll have to come off the mountain once in awhile to civilization though. T or C has rv parks, some allow van campers and it's only $99.00 a month! plus whatever electric you might use for heating in winter or cooking.
If you like camping, you'll love the areas mentioned, summers are dry and hot, winters are mild and dry. please check out photographs in our travels.

What kind of a job do you need? maybe we can help you! mutz
Attached Thumbnails
Anywhere in NM where I could get by on 5/MO?-cibola1.jpg   Anywhere in NM where I could get by on 5/MO?-cibola2.jpg   Anywhere in NM where I could get by on 5/MO?-cibola3.jpg   Anywhere in NM where I could get by on 5/MO?-cibola4.jpg  

Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
motorscooter + tent + Colman stove + icebox in campground with water and showers. My lady and I spent a summer living in campgrounds and a Volvo 544 on a round trip vacation to Alaska. 42 years ago!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,058,264 times
The Starter Wife and I wound up in Albuquerque 40 years ago after spending
almost two years traveling around the Western US, Canada and Alaska in a
Chevy wagon making extensive use of National, State and Provincial parks.

The suggestions being made above should be taken seriously; at least for the
short term of a year or so.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
The Starter Wife and I wound up in Albuquerque 40 years ago after spending
almost two years traveling around the Western US, Canada and Alaska in a
Chevy wagon making extensive use of National, State and Provincial parks.

The suggestions being made above should be taken seriously; at least for the
short term of a year or so.
Love the Started wife comment..

Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
I agree with the above about being in an RV or camper.
If you can do without internet, cell phones and cable tv, it would help you out too.
Also consider getting a roommate.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM

17 posts, read 180,851 times
You may also want to consider researching subsidized housing options. You can call a HUD hotline at 1-800-569-4287 to find a HUD-approved housing counselor in your area who can help you with affordable housing options.

Also, I like to use this link to locate low-income housing tax credit properties in different localities: LIHTC Database Access . Different properties have different types of subsidies and are worth investigating. There are often wait lists but it never hurts to put yourself on more than one list.

You might also contact a housing authority or section 8 housing choice voucher administrator to get on the list. Again, there will likely be waitlists for these, but it is a good subsidy if you can get it. HCV and public housing tenants generally pay 30% of their income for rent. There are small discounts for the elderly/disabled. If your income goes up or down your rent will adjust accordingly (so long as you timely report the change).

Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
$675 a month is kind of little to live on -- but there are quite a few people in New Mexico who do live on that kind of money. Lots of them in Dona Ana county and other southern counties. You don't need much heat in the winter and there is some real cheap housing around. Some small travel trailers that can be rented, older mobile homes or small house. Colonias often have very cheap housing, not all is that terrible.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,786,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
$675 a month is kind of little to live on -- but there are quite a few people in New Mexico who do live on that kind of money. Lots of them in Dona Ana county and other southern counties. You don't need much heat in the winter and there is some real cheap housing around. Some small travel trailers that can be rented, older mobile homes or small house. Colonias often have very cheap housing, not all is that terrible.
Food stamps (EBT CARD) and some qualify for free medical care and some cash too, also helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or