U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 PM

12,956 posts, read 11,331,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I say that the Rainbow Family has the right to peacefully assemble, and it is just plain un-American to oppose it just because you don't agree with their philosophies. Just another instance of this nation turning into conservative, right-wing, knee jerk sheep. It's the Forest Circus that turns it into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

My main concerns have always been the situation of fires in the rocky mountain west and the impact of the communities.

I am not a complete Archie Bunker on the subject of this organization. There is merit to several things things the Rainbow people do. It basically comes down to respecting life, just trying to get by in an America that has run amok. They try to make an outsider, any outsider, feel welcome. The outsiders are just as welcome as the ones who have done dozens of events.

I know about the "A" camp for alcoholics. I know about the different groups assembled for the different religious beliefs, and one for Aetheists as well. One of the early posts by one of the rainbow people who will probably never post on C/D again makes mention of welcoming the poorest of the poor, the homeless, as they are welcomed just as much as some of the people who are KEY in these events, meaning the doctors who attend these events and look after the people with medical issues, or the guys who are mechanic savvy with cars. People helping people, that's not an outdated concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM

5,554 posts, read 8,815,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Naked and doing the Michael Jackson moonwalk-YIKES!
Some people can get away with it. Not me, but some people.

I can think of some people I'd *like* to see doing it naked.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM

3,460 posts, read 3,153,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Oh! Oh! You forgot one: anti-Rio Rancho!
Oh this is hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I thought that would go without saying.

Maybe Mayor Swissstack (I know... incorrect spelling) will host the gathering next year. 10,000+ people in the Mogollon. I like it.
Too many S's Rybert but funny point, Rio Rancho is still adding 8,000+ more people a year than Albuquerque.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:47 AM

16,460 posts, read 16,199,416 times
Portions from the Albuquerque Journal. The entire article at: Albuquerque Journal: We Charge for Content (http://www.abqjournal.com/west/2723277riorancho06-27-09.htm - broken link)

Saturday, June 27, 2009
Journal Staff Report

Shamus Lee Woods, 34, of San Diego is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, tampering with evidence and possession of drug paraphernalia, at the Rainbow Family Gathering near Cuba, State Police Lt. Eric Garcia said. A confrontation between woods and another man occurred. The man attempted to walk away and was stabbed in the back by Woods. The man was taken to Cuba Medical Center and then airlifted to University of New Mexico Hospital with a stab wound to the back and a punctured lung. Woods suffered a cut wound to the hand and was taken by ambulance to UNM Hospital and later arrested by State Police.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM

7,064 posts, read 11,300,343 times
The guy would have to be Irish or of Irish descent. What a drag.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:12 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,639,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
The guy would have to be Irish or of Irish descent. What a drag.
Or wants to appear that way. Lots of (I'm being polite, here) "alternative lifestyle"
people take up new names, personas and histories as suits them at the moment.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Sooo someone had said a few pages ago.. That the people in Cuba were in "favor" of this gathering. Thats a lie.. Like 3 quarters of the town is against this gathering.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 PM

16,460 posts, read 16,199,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Sooo someone had said a few pages ago.. That the people in Cuba were in "favor" of this gathering. Thats a lie.. Like 3 quarters of the town is against this gathering.
I believe I said that.

It was what was reported in the news.

Rich

Old 06-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I believe I said that.

It was what was reported in the news.

Rich
My family has a really nice ranch we stayed there this weekend.. not many people we visited were happy one bit, nor was I..

Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,423,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Given the rumors and stories surrounding this event it's not a surprise that Cubanos wouldn't be in favor of it. I haven't seen much of anything on this thread that comes from reliable sources that bears out the terrible predictions or second hand stories being bandied about.

But this thing isn't going on in Cuba...it's happening in a National Forest, I believe, that's owned by the people of the United States. If you asked the townspeople they probably wouldn't be in favor of the National Forest, either..but it's not up to them.
I probably wouldn't like so many people gathering near my little town either, but at some point you have to stop whining and get on with it. It's a week or so out of a lifetime, get over it... and try to figure out a way to make some money when the people show up. I think the bean burrito market will be pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico