U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:08 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,104,764 times

Advertisements

Right on, sister!

Mike Horrell: The Vanilla Fudge were a good band. I think they were perhaps the earliest 'heavy metal' band...everything slowed way down. And Moby Grape made a single in about '68, Can't Be So Bad, that I think was one of the greatest singles of all time. Great guitar work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 04:47 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,809,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Right on, sister!

Mike Horrell: The Vanilla Fudge were a good band. I think they were perhaps the earliest 'heavy metal' band...everything slowed way down. And Moby Grape made a single in about '68, Can't Be So Bad, that I think was one of the greatest singles of all time. Great guitar work!
I saw Vanilla Fudge in concert @ 1967 at a huge roller skating rink in Alexandria
across the river from DC. That same rink also hosted Jefferson Airplane, Janis
Joplin, Little Stevie Wonder (!!), Question Mark and the Mysterions (now THAT'S
going back a ways), The Doors, The Dead, The Seeds, Steve Miller, Jimi Hendrix...

It's a long list..

The Grape is one of my favorite bands and WAY underestimated in terms of
its influence on many that followed.

A modern performance of "Motorcycle Irene"

YouTube - Motorcycle Irene - Moby Grape

"A skewed, gender-inversion of "Leader of the Pack," "Motorcycle Irene" is
the story of a very real female biker that Skip Spence met in 1967.
Musically, it's based on a classic 1-4-5 chord progression (like "Good
Lovin'") and is buttressed by some great sound effects, including
a collision at the end of the song.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM

10 posts, read 24,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
We ran the creative folk out of here quite some time ago. All we got left are people posing as creative folk, and rich folks promoting the posers in galleries. Santa Fe/Taos got a lot of attention in the 60's when it was a Bohemian paradise. Those days are long gone, although people like to continue to romanticize about it. There probably are still a few of those hippies living around here and Taos, but now they are all probably paranoid folk that remain hidden on their properties and would not be much worth meeting.
What a shame...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Some of the Rainbows--I think mostly just to prove that they could do it--engaged in numerous acts of repugnant behavior in the local small towns. Things like defecating or fornicating in public in places including town parks, business parking lots, and public sidewalks. Rainbow members also openly used illicit drugs in public places such as city parks, downtown areas--even in front of public library (which was running its summer children's' programs at the time). Nice.
Yikes. What a let-down. Not at all what I'd expect from some earthy types...

I figured I'd just take some crafts to the trading circle, meet some neat people, talk to the Krishna devotees (if they're there.) I have a couple of friends who may be getting involved with an earthship community around there. I thought there'd be more sensible people there.

Of course, I don't really know exactly what to expect, but I thought it'd be all hearts and smiles compared to what you've described.

Hah!

That's awful though. Kinda makes me not want to go. I think I'd rather check out schools and real estate in northern New Mexico, rather than get caught up in other people's delinquent behavior. I never initially planned on going to the gathering, but I knew a few of my extended family members would be there, as well as a couple other friends of mine.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,896,603 times
Go hangout for awhile with your friends and if the behavior goes bad, you can always leave but if it turns out to where things are going okay, then you've had fun and you've enjoyed your friends.
Just go and be openminded as to what may or may not happen.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Go hangout for awhile with your friends and if the behavior goes bad, you can always leave but if it turns out to where things are going okay, then you've had fun and you've enjoyed your friends.
Just go and be openminded as to what may or may not happen.
I'll probably do that. I might be silly not to check it out for a couple days. Maybe it'll be an enchanting experience...

Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,896,603 times
Yep, you never can tell.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

91 posts, read 153,355 times
Don't believe all of the propaganda....as there are bad rainbow people that do not represent the group as a whole...there are bad USFS agents as well........Each had reasons to defend themselves. However the rainbows come with a preconcieved image that alot of people buy into. FYI...I am not a hippy or a rainbow

Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,318,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Nomad View Post
What a shame...
Actually it is a shame. Those same folks that went to Woodstock, lived in communes, and preached love and peace later went on to snort everything they could up their noses in the 80's. After they got done doing that, a bunch of them turned their backs on the peace movement forever. They all got really scared when 9/11 happened, and now all they care about is fighting terrorism and more recently gays. That's just what the elites want them to do.....keep worrying about terrorists, gay marriage and bans on assault weapons...and keep paying your bank interest, inflated mortgages and buying the next consumer good instead of changing the world to make it a better place. But you might as well join the Rainbows for a couple of days....anything that causes the U.S. Forest Circus to pay attention to something other than timber sales is a good thing.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,425,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
.... anything that causes the U.S. Forest Circus to pay attention to something other than timber sales is a good thing.
You mean "timber sales" at 1885 prices, of course.

"timber sales" where the forest service spends more on building
access roads to harvest the wood than revenue from the sales.

Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico