U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:36 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,036,183 times

Advertisements

Interesting information. Thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,305,292 times
songinthewind, we have picked & eaten lambsquarters, purslane, & dandelion leaves for many years in NM. Great nutritional value!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks Bongo.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,578 times
In the early spring, scrape a small patch of ground and when the tumbleweed shoots appear and are at there most tender they can be cooked like greens and eaten.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Sounds good. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,857,233 times
I have been reading up on the vast benefits of "pine bark extract." Anyone know anything about the subject - specifically how to "extract" whatever the beneficial ingredient is from the bark? What part of the bark? Which pine trees?

And yes, I know there is a patented compound that sells widely under the tradename "Pycnogenol" but it's the pine bark part of the compound that I'm the most interested in. There is no shortage of pine trees in my yard and in my region!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
You can eat Jerusalem Artichokes. It is a brite yellow flower that resembles a small sunflower. You can prepare it by cooking the plants tuber(roots) the same way that you would cook a potatoe. Dandelions are good for salads. Just make sure that you get them young. you eat the young leaves and buds. The Dandelion is also a good way to get Beta Carotene and vitamins A and C. Prickly pear cactus is a good one aswell. The fruit on them are really sweet aslong as you get them when they are ripe. Do not eat them green it will give you the runs LOL/ also make sure that you get all the needles off because they will get stuck in your tung. NOT GOOD. The white bulb at the root of a cattail is edible aswell. I have a bunck. If you wont them all just let me know K Happy Hunting LOL

Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,578,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
songinthewind, we have picked & eaten lambsquarters, purslane, & dandelion leaves for many years in NM. Great nutritional value!
I believe those we call Quelites or wild spinach. You can find them growing along the ditches/acequias. I have some growing at our property in Belen and in Old Town. I remember as a kid my mom would send us out to the ditch behind our house to pick Quelites.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 PM

I'm just afraid to eat anything I don't know for sure is edible as we all are. Just wish I lived close to someone I could hang out with to show me the stuff.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,305,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
I believe those we call Quelites or wild spinach. You can find them growing along the ditches/acequias. I have some growing at our property in Belen and in Old Town. I remember as a kid my mom would send us out to the ditch behind our house to pick Quelites.
Yes, that's what we call them too- quelites- although I had never seen it spelled before this. One of my friend's mamacitas taught me about quelites 30 years ago & I have treasured when I have found them since then. They come up particularly in newly turned soil, a shimmery silver-green. I like them stir-fried.

We also just discovered bolete mushrooms in NM, although this was a heck of a dry summer & we only found one LOL, a delicacy that we hunted out our back door for many years in Alaska. Yum- right when they pop up fresh after a rain, sliced & sauted in olive oil.

But yes, songinthewind, I too only eat after careful instruction with someone knowledgeable. When I was a youngster working on the big island a cook poisoned a whole group in a visiting conference with the wrong mushrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico