Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 22,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgolfer View Post
I need as much first person info on T or C as possible. Moving there is a possibility and I would like to know what to expect. Thanks for any info you have for me.
We have been workamping here at one of the resorts for almost two months. After being on the road for over a year and seeing much of small town America, and here is what we think of this town:

The Pros:
It's walkable, and you'll do little driving when you don't need to stock up on supplies.

The scenery is OK if you like dirt and dust.

The public golf course is a deal.

There's some good art.

The Cons:
Unfortunately, we think there are way more cons...

It's not as inexpensive as people think it is. Real estate is high for where this town is located, and what it has to offer (which isn't much).

The two grocery stores in town carry the essentials, but be prepared to pay for it. If driving 75 miles to go to WalMart won't hurt your wallet, than you should be OK here.

The gas merchants are thieves. Fuel here is higher than in Socorro, a town barely bigger than this, less than an hour north.

There is rampant drug use among the bored younger people and drifters living in the many trailer parks here.

Pit bulls on the loose are everywhere, and a favorite of the locals. The dog catcher is busy.

The litter and garbage strewn across the landscape makes it very depressing to look at.

There is ZERO in the way of nightlife, movie theatres or entertainment. You have to make your own here.

People here are not nearly as friendly or welcoming as many other small towns we've been to. In fact, many are quite grumpy. Nobody says Hi on the street or makes eye contact.

Property taxes are low, but that means that the local government invests ZERO in infrastructure, streets, or education. The streets are potholed, sidewalks broken, the park is dirty, and there are vacant dilapidated buildings everywhere.

I'm sorry to be so negative about this place, but it's just what we see as newcomers, who are about to leave soon.

Everyone keeps saying that this place is going to take off and become something, but we just aren't seeing it. Give it another 20 years, maybe, and you might see a better element moving here and turning it into something as nice as Silver City, but until then, I'd stay far away from here. It's just depressing. I'm sure the locals who don't want their property taxes to go up will love hearing me say that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Dracul - If you are going to try and stop a cat fight please remember heavy leather gloves, like welders gauntlets, are your friend. I hope you have seen a doctor because infected wounds are a very bad thing.

vinegroon - it is way more exciting when the cats have AKs.

LWD - Even with the incredible attraction of the hot springs, T or C sems to be immersed in poverty. I wonder why?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
LWD - Even with the incredible attraction of the hot springs, T or C sems to be immersed in poverty. I wonder why?
It's population is too small to offer much in employment or industry etc...greg.....

Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 22,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
It's population is too small to offer much in employment or industry etc...greg.....
I don't know. I mean I see "Help Wanted" signs in quite a few windows. And the hot springs where I am right now has trouble finding housekeepers.

What some locals have said is that employers have trouble finding workers because "nobody" here can pass a drug test. So if they can't pass a drug test, then they stay unemployed.

Granted, I haven't seen decent wages around here, so that may be part of it too.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWorkDream View Post
I don't know. I mean I see "Help Wanted" signs in quite a few windows. And the hot springs where I am right now has trouble finding housekeepers.

What some locals have said is that employers have trouble finding workers because "nobody" here can pass a drug test. So if they can't pass a drug test, then they stay unemployed.

Granted, I haven't seen decent wages around here, so that may be part of it too.
Good to hear businesses are willing to hire LiveWorkDream....and that's a damn shame that many can't pass a drug test. Hmm...are there apartment complexes there (13 years in the industry) as id have no problem passing a drug test or FBI Criminal Background check and if i lived there and worked at an complex i probably would buy myself a Jetski as i'd be on the water there at the Butte and Caballo reservoirs on my days off

6/3

Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,933 times
As of this writing I can no longer keyboard properly as a result of the bites. Index finger only with my afflicted right hand. Two fingers partially paralyzed and at least a year of occupational therapy ahead!!!!! In the hospital for three days and only recently had my PIC line removed administering IV antibiotics to my heart directly!!!! Nearly lost my hand and forearm to this singular act of bad judgment!!!! If I had waited another 24 hours I might have risked DEATH via general organ infection! Even now my hand is still swollen and the extensor muscles/tendons/radial nerve are not functioning correctly. I cannot draw...which is my life...and I can hardly press these keys. This is not good. I've lost 15 pounds and am only now resuming some semblance of my former fitness regimen. Depression is tremendous. A cat bite...and the irony is I was trying to avoid anticipated costly vet bills and injury to my cat. Now I have thousands in Medical bills beyond my insurance coverage and a hand functionally very much in question. Go figure. Have to agree with the cynical dictum: "No good deed ever goes unpunished". Can't write anymore...hand is too stiff. Thanks for the advice and concern all.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:19 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
I'm sorry to hear about the injury. That sucks. I will continue to use pistols on cats to avoid such a trauma.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Where is the new Wal-Mart being built at? I drove through TorC a few weeks ago and didnt see nothing,I wasnt really looking for it either but I figured it would be just off the interstate.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Dracul, I've been wondering how you were! Sounds like it was a close call! Cat scratches/bites are nothing to ignore! Good to have you back.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 AM

170 posts, read 648,662 times
Wow I'm sorry about your hand Dracul, good thing that you went to the doctor when you did or the story could have turned out much worse . Wow I guess I learned something today, I never knew that cats could do so much damage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico