Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times

Advertisements

Certainly there are folks living in Hillsboro!
Nice smiley faces too. And, there's some properties for sale there too. Unfortunately, if one purchased property in Hillsboro, you'd be some 30+ miles from the nearest market places, like T or C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
For what it is worth - is anyone living in Hillsboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am already thinking about some place to get further away from the place I am going to to get away from here.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 AM

Default About Hillsboro

You exit I-25 at # 63, and go west young man on state highway 152. You'll be driving on the flat high desert paved floor, and once you've passed over percha creek, the road will begin winding as the elevation increases. Hillsboro is, in my belief the gateway to the Gila National Forest, because when you arrive in the town, you're basically at the tree line. This drive takes you from the high desert of sand and rocks, to the trees and forestry, and it an awesome palce to go. It's unusual to drive from the desert to the trees within minutes.
Quote:
I am already thinking about some place to get further away from the place I am going to to get away from here.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 AM

We experienced a similar altitude related climate change during our last vacation when we drove from Deming to Silver City on Rt 180 then around (including side trips to the Catwalk and Mogollon) to Rt 12 and back to San Antonio. I spend way too much time studying the Benchmark New Mexico Atlas while trying to save enough for the next vacation/recon trip.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Good Tour

Oh yes, that's a scenic drive. but, you missed state route 61 to city rocks state park, That place is a must see too.
Quote:
We experienced a similar altitude related climate change during our last vacation when we drove from Deming to Silver City on Rt 180 then around (including side trips to the Catwalk and Mogollon) to Rt 12 and back to San Antonio. I spend way too much time studying the Benchmark New Mexico Atlas while trying to save enough for the next vacation/recon trip.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Cool Yippeeee

Could it be, is it? nice day yesterday 08/22/08, and today is shaping up to be nice too. could it be, is it, the end of the'monsoon season' for T ot C? yaaaay! ok, all of the store owners can put the sandbags away.
****NEWS FLASH****
This week, a T or C police officer was stabbed in the arm and leg while trying to apprehend a shoplifter at circle k, he's expected to recover. I can't wait to see what they charge this gal with, yes, a female stabber. now that's news.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Are You?

Wow, you sound desperate! winter is on it's way. do you want to shovel snow, or bask in sunshine most of the time? Come on Down.
Quote:

Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Out of Businesses

Boy, you're right. I've only been haere a few years, and have seen a few businesses spring like flowers in the desert after being rained on. They don't seem to last long though, most end up closing almost as fast as they opened. Yes, I like a can do city. obviously, this one isn't. a couple of weeks ago, I read an article in one of the newspapers here, and, all the rain we had....well, at least one property owner is being sued for roof leaks. according to the news, the roof leaked on a building a store proprietor was leasing or renting, and ruined some of their stock. it was a downtown building. so, if I were trying to run a business, and a roof leaked and damaged my goods, I'd be looking to seek immediate repairs from the owner, or getting ready to move on. oh, get this, some building department big who, was quoted as saying the building inspection department was doing a good job, now that's laughable.
oh yeah, your walmart point! I visited this new store in town, the first day I visited, I was charged twice for milk, and purchased moldy bread! way to go wally world. and I want you to know, the prices at wally world here ain't that great. in comparison, the local grocery stores have them beat. but my wife by doing her comparison shopping exclaimed "ice cream, pudding, and diet juice is cheaper than the other two groceries'! wow I replied, we'll just live off of ice cream, juice and pudding! wally world is just as funky as the town seems to be.
tell me about roswell? climate and such please.
we used to do one trip a month to las cruces, and hit several stores in doing so, to make the most of the gas money spent. wally world, sams, k-mart, and so forth. we'd usullay buy enough items to make through til the next month, I think we're going to continue that routine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
I think many of the people that I know in T or c are wanting out because
not much seems to ever get done and some of us have lived there for longer
than we would like to admit. Also most of us didn't care about making the
drive down to Las cruces once or twice a week to go shopping but now
since gas has gone up so much that has made a big difference. I might
ad that some of these people have invested in different bussinesses
and lost big time so they are pretty down on T or C. I know a few more
that used to be big time T or C supporters but when their business failed
they seemed to blame the city and the people so now they are gone.
I'm in Roswell right now and I just checked out the WallyMart here
and sure enough many things are lower priced than the new
Walmart in T or C. I asked one of the floor managers here in Roswell
why this was and he said it goes by the sales volume and walmart
pretty much knows that smaller towns will not have to big volumes.
I think if you like a funky town you will love T or C but if you like
a can do type of city you might not like it at all. Roswell seems to have
some money judging by the large new bank buildings over here.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 AM

271 posts, read 1,175,114 times
Hi Highdesert......... I was only in Roswell for two days but it's a completely
different type of town than is T or C. Not as large as Las Cruces but still
large enough to have most of the necessities that one needs and yes their
Walmart is much larger and many items are about 15 percent less than at
our new superstore. Roswell as more culture if that is what you might be
seeking such as the Roswell Symphony and two very good art museums.
I actually saw several people who were dressed in suits and tie but they
could have been the mayor. At a glance you can see there is more money
over there even though they too have their less than affluent areas.
They also have a big Home Depot and a Hobby Lobby and not to mention
a JC Penney's so shopping is much better. They also have two or three
starbucks that are open everyday not like here in T or C. I'm not sure
about the weather but I'm sure the wind can blow as it's out on the plains
but not far to Hondo or Ruidoso. I would think that Alamogordo is a little
closer to Ruidoso than is Roswell. I know two or three people who now
live in T or C and they have Alamogordo in their sights. Also Roswell is
a little more eastern in it's architecture and not many adobes. Took about
3 to 3.5 hours to drive over thru Carrizzo and Capitan so it's not all that
far. I don't think there are any lakes or rivers but I could be wrong.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM

I absolutely love to shovel snow. There is nothing like shoveling snow to get the car out of the snow bank so you can get the 0530 bus to work on a brisk -10 deg morning.

Actually the condo maintenance crews shovel the walks and I just drive through or over the snow banks. I put shoveling snow way below cutting grass on my don't bother list.

A T or C or Socorro winter is in my future. Lots of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico