Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times

Advertisements

I've heard a rumor today that IGA, our (independent grocer association) local grocery store will be closing sometime next week.

IGA has been around for a long time.

They have only lasted some 7 months after a Walmart store opened in August 2008.

Thanks walmart, you have successfully driven another affordable grocey store out of business. I hope your steaks and chops rot in your meat cases.

In other local news:
The Spaceport Authority is considering the old voluteer fire depatment structure as the location for the Spaceport Welcome Center.

Locals have a problem with this location because the building is on a curve, and the story is that when volunteer firefighters would go to this building to man the equipment, a parking problem existed at that time too.

My 2 cents? who might have been the nut case who picked this location? Did they not think that the Spaceport Visitors Center would not have anyone visiting? Someone on the city council has a screw loose.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Today, March 26, 2009, we are experiencing very high wind conditions. Winds are gusting to 55 m.p.h. in T or C.
It has been a bad hair day overall.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 03-26-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Talking Article May Give You A Chuckle

Change the name back to Hot Springs.

Would You Take a Trip to TV Town? - Travel Blog - World Hum

Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I think they need to bring the tv game show called Truth or Consequences back.
I can't think of what it was about right now but I remember watching it with my grandparents as a kid.
Ever wonder how the Jetsons stayed so slim and trim and were so lazy?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
hdm - From what I have read the steaks will have started to rot before they are sold.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
hdm - From what I have read the steaks will have started to rot before they are sold.
I wouldn't doubt that. Everyone knows this is a poverty state, how does wally world think people making min. wages can afford their prices in the meat cases?

We've been dining on chicken legs quarters, bullocks ground round, and pilgrims pride chicken breast for about a year now. At least when IGA had steaks, they were sirloin, sliced very thinly, and ranged in price from about $2.00 to $4.00 a piece.

A person browsing walmart's steaks might be shocked, they're about $8.00 each and up. The price of pork is even worse. Hell, I need a $100,000.00 year job just to feed ourselves.

It was funny seeing a sign in bullocks a few days ago, the sign said they have courtesy people to help with your groceries, they deliver your groceries, and so forth. In other words, why shop the other guy? Bullocks had better learn how to adapt. The other guy opens at 6 a.m., bullocks opens at 7:30 a.m., the mgt. at bullocks needs to take a hard look at how they do business and make necessary changes in order to survive. If they don't, they'll be history too.

All I'm saying is that when a new game comes to town, and you're punched below the belt, you don't go down and just lay there, you get back up, and learn how to roll with the punches, you do things differently to survive.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 04-10-2009 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I think they need to bring the tv game show called Truth or Consequences back.
I can't think of what it was about right now but I remember watching it with my grandparents as a kid.
Ever wonder how the Jetsons stayed so slim and trim and were so lazy?
Oh, I used to watch that show, but was so young, I can't recall how the thing went. Maybe there's an older person out here that knows?

Song, you're really going back in time now, the jetsons? You'd better quit before people start trying to figure out how old we really are.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Default My 2 cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I've heard a rumor today that IGA, our (independent grocer association) local grocery store will be closing sometime next week. Finally!!
IGA has been around for a long time. And it's always sucked!
They have only lasted some 7 months after a Walmart store opened in August 2008.
Thanks walmart, you have successfully driven another affordable grocey store out of business. I hope your steaks and chops rot in your meat cases.
HiMutz, ya know I love ya, and I agree that Walmart can eliminate local businesses that have difficulty competing, but--IGA was no competition! Having been in and out of TrC over a few years, I saw that IGA gave up the ghost a couple of years ago, when Walmart was still in the womb! That store ALWAYS overcharged on things, it was dirty, produce old, but yeah, you're probably right about some deals on steaks, although the locals swear by Bullocks for meat.
But, that store was a dead zone for years, and the closer Walmart came to opening, the clearer it was to see they were just waiting to close the coffin!
I went to both stores when I had to (only games in town, IGA, Bullocks), but usually drove to Las Cruces for real groceries.

We've been dining on chicken legs quarters, bullocks ground round, and pilgrims pride chicken breast for about a year now. At least when IGA had steaks, they were sirloin, sliced very thinly, and ranged in price from about $2.00 to $4.00 a piece.
No offense, but yuk thin sliced sirloin doesn't do anything for me! I just got sick of having to monitor each and every price, even taking the cat food price sticker on the shelf WITH the catfood, since it never rang up correctly for the entire 9 months I lived there last year. And they didn't even care, or attempt to correct it!
I got sick of having to circle all the items on all the recpts that overcharged me, then wait for that sluggish CS person to fill out the paperwork I then had to sign to get my money back!-oh, and that was USUALLY before I even left the store!!

A person browsing walmart's steaks might be shocked, they're about $8.00 each and up. The price of pork is even worse. Hell, I need a $100,000.00 year job just to feed ourselves.
Ok mutz, since I saw you last, I went to stay with my mom in Oregon from October - January. Then I found a trailer in Yuma (on Craigslist, go figure!), which I bought and now live. I gotta tell ya, I'm shocked at the prices of meat EVERYWHERE! I think the gas price spike is what started it, but it's everywhere. Now, Oregon, overall, was dirt cheap for food! Mom talked about how much things had gone up? -It was half the price of New Mexico, including Las Cruces! But meat? still just as high.
Yuma, also very high overall. But, selection! Not only do we have 3 Walmarts here, we got Fry's, Safeway, Albertsons, and local markets. We also have an abundance of Farmer's Markets, as we're one of the leading producers of winter produce for the country (forgot about all the ag here). BUT, produce is still just as high!! I really don't get that one..?

It was funny seeing a sign in bullocks a few days ago, the sign said they have courtesy people to help with your groceries, they deliver your groceries, and so forth. In other words, why shop the other guy? Bullocks had better learn how to adapt. The other guy opens at 6 a.m., bullocks opens at 7:30 a.m., the mgt. at bullocks needs to take a hard look at how they do business and make necessary changes in order to survive. If they don't, they'll be history too.
Yeah, totally agree. But Bullocks at least does have something locals appreciate, ( whereas IGA was a constant frustration for me and by the way, they were only open till 10pm). But, yeah, funky hours, huh? 7:30am to 8pm?? Insane! So, yeah, Bullocks needs to pay attention, cuz they could be the success story of Walmart-meaning now that they have competition, they have a reason to step up to the plate, and into the 21st century!!

All I'm saying is that when a new game comes to town, and you're punched below the belt, you don't go down and just lay there, you get back up, and learn how to roll with the punches, you do things differently to survive.
Well you just said it, 'get back up', or at least try to keep your head above water! IGA sank to the bottom long before Walmart got here, so ya can't blame em for that one. But Bullocks might just benefit if Rip Van Winkle wakes up before it's too late!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Well you just said it, 'get back up', or at least try to keep your head above water! IGA sank to the bottom long before Walmart got here, so ya can't blame em for that one. But Bullocks might just benefit if Rip Van Winkle wakes up before it's too late!
Well, ouch, that didn't hurt. OUch, that didn't hurt, OUCH, now that hurt, stoooooop it!

We lived in Kenosha, wisconsin, and let me tell you about grocery competition. We had jewel, supervalu, sav a lot, piggly wiggly, aldi, and one other on 52nd. street I cannot remember the name of now. This is competition.

When the kenosha news Kenosha News | Home
provided store sale ads, my annie would shop all stores picking up the best prices on items we used, while I pounded the road sometimes 20 hours a day. She is the shopper. I came home off the road once, and noticed she had been shopping. She grabbed a box of cereal and said, do you know how much I paid for this? She exclaimed 25 cents! I said what? Yes, double coupon sale item.

I gave the walmart meat department manager hell yesterday. While browsing the meat department, I saw 3 cooks hams on the shelf, $1.58 a pound. I summond the manager, and asked, where are all the hams, do YOU know what this SUNDAY IS? Manager replied, we have more in the back which have not been put out yet. I said, I don't want the $1.58 a pound ones, I want the $0.99 a pound ones. Manager replied, we don't have any for that price. I said, well, I guess I'll have to go to bullocks. WALMART SUCKS, at least this one does.

What we lack in T or C is VARIETY, CHOICE and COMPETITION.

Yes, we just went to cruces. We shopped sams club. We saved sooooo much money, it was incredible.

And meat/steaks? we liked the thinly cut sirloins from IGA. My Dr. warned me to avoid great intakes of beef and pork, among other things. My idea of a treat is about 4 ounces of beefsteak, that's my limit. I cannot see paying $7.98 a pound or more for a beefsteak. You cannot buy 1/4 pounder though. But, we did find sirloin for $2.46 a pound at sams, and we cut them/divided them into smaller portions.

It's a new ballgame for bullocks. I'd like to see them stay in business, but, they just do not carry some of the items we need. Think of how many other townspeople they aren't pleasing or accomodating, other than us.

Yes. I have lived in a smaller city, with my parents at one time. My father used to say that the town in which my mother and father lived was the last place where the lord shoveled that very last shovel of crap. I will not say T or C is close to that analogy, but, there are areas the city needs improvement on.

Glad to hear you're in your new home. Hopefully, you're satisfied with your new surroundings.

I have to say, if it were not for ann to be able to buy this jeep, and us having our travel trailer paid for, and the blue skies, sunshine, mountains, lakes, forests and some of the people we've come to know here, I wouldn't be able to cope either. Where else can I get up in the morning, grap a cup of coffee and a smoke, sit outside in a t shirt nearly everyday, and scoff at doctors who had said my days were numbered!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:57 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,603 times
[quote=highdesertmutz;8284469]Well, ouch, that didn't hurt. OUch, that didn't hurt, OUCH, now that hurt, stoooooop it!

Mutz, before I even read the rest of your message, I'M SO SORRY! Did I somehow offend you? Please, please know I wasn't meaning to direct anything like that toward you personally!
Please forgive me if i was so blunt, I struck you with my words. Ooops!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 PM

[quote=anomoly;8284551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Well, ouch, that didn't hurt. OUch, that didn't hurt, OUCH, now that hurt, stoooooop it!

Mutz, before I even read the rest of your message, I'M SO SORRY! Did I somehow offend you? Please, please know I wasn't meaning to direct anything like that toward you personally!
Please forgive me if i was so blunt, I struck you with my words. Ooops!
Oh no, not offended at all. It's the truth about T or C that hurts. But, I could think of many other places to reside which are worse than this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico