Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,910 times

Advertisements

In April, I stopped by T or C for a dip while camping out at Caballo. I used to live there about 13 years ago when I was in my early twenties, but eventually I moved on to Austin to meet friends my own age, and go to grad school. Normally I revisit NM every year for a week or two of rambling, and this last time my grad school friend and I did a southern tour - Deming, COR, Silver, TorC, Radium Springs (to visit a friend).

Anyway -- this visit to T or C made me very sad. I was glad to see a few trendy-looking restaurants, even if they were all closed. I was VERY surprised to see the brand new Walmart complete with wallydockers. I was sad that the 5 and dime where I used to buy ice cream cones is now a thrift store.

The streets, however, were more desolate than ever. The few people I saw seemed out of it -- I think a lot of the people shopping in Bullock's were actually drunk, not tweaking, and I had weird interactions with everyone I chatted with.

In short, my friend was very surprised I had ever lived there. It seemed to have gone downhill - the economy? I still love Turtleback, the weather, the old vibe of the town, but I was afraid to stop in to see my few friends there in the event that they had taken a turn for the worse. Something I regret, but the last time I visited my ex boyfriend was living in a motorhome that didn't run -- that sort of thing.

I'm not sure when I'll be back, especially since my current husband doesn't like the town - he was on tour and passed through T or C only to get in a barfight in Rocky's, and broke his hand trying to get out of there. Not sure why he EVER went into Rocky's. I never once set foot in that place even though I lived a block away from it.

Still, I am rather fond of the town, some good memories there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmart View Post
I just got back from a trip to T or C and was shocked. We wanted to stay at the hot springs and do a little kayaking trip. The hot springs were great as was the river trip, but the town was down right creepy. I am not saying that to be offensive, but as a matter of perspective, it was extremely disturbing. My husband and I love an eclectic town, but this was not that. We tried to walk around downtown and did not see another person except 4 meth-heads tweaked out of their minds.....not a guess, but a fact. We went to the theatre at night for something to do and again saw no one outside on the way or afterwards, strange. Later we went to get an ice cream at sonic....lets just say, I wish we wouldn't have. The next day by the river, there were yet more tweakers we talked to. We spent plenty of time driving around exploring and just found it strange that we never saw any people....anywhere with exception to the meth zombies! The vibe that town was sending was not eclectic, it was addiction. Of course there are drug problems everywhere, especially small towns, but based on our experience, T or C had a severe problem. It is odd when the only people you come across besides the business owners are on drugs. It might be that the locals have other places they hang out, but we traveled the entire span of the town and found the same was true throughout. It is not somewhere I would like to visit again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,223,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyBumpkins View Post
In April, I stopped by T or C for a dip while camping out at Caballo. I used to live there about 13 years ago when I was in my early twenties, but eventually I moved on to Austin to meet friends my own age, and go to grad school. Normally I revisit NM every year for a week or two of rambling, and this last time my grad school friend and I did a southern tour - Deming, COR, Silver, TorC, Radium Springs (to visit a friend).

Anyway -- this visit to T or C made me very sad. I was glad to see a few trendy-looking restaurants, even if they were all closed. I was VERY surprised to see the brand new Walmart complete with wallydockers. I was sad that the 5 and dime where I used to buy ice cream cones is now a thrift store.

The streets, however, were more desolate than ever. The few people I saw seemed out of it -- I think a lot of the people shopping in Bullock's were actually drunk, not tweaking, and I had weird interactions with everyone I chatted with.

In short, my friend was very surprised I had ever lived there. It seemed to have gone downhill - the economy? I still love Turtleback, the weather, the old vibe of the town, but I was afraid to stop in to see my few friends there in the event that they had taken a turn for the worse. Something I regret, but the last time I visited my ex boyfriend was living in a motorhome that didn't run -- that sort of thing.

I'm not sure when I'll be back, especially since my current husband doesn't like the town - he was on tour and passed through T or C only to get in a barfight in Rocky's, and broke his hand trying to get out of there. Not sure why he EVER went into Rocky's. I never once set foot in that place even though I lived a block away from it.

Still, I am rather fond of the town, some good memories there.
Rockys bar has been closed for about 5 years.
The city has gone down hill and you've met some strange people?
Has the city ever been up hill? Other than the battles the activists waged on the P&Z Commission and the City Council to try to get things built here and to attract people.... They tried not to let walmart get built, then tried to stop the spaceport construction, they've quarreled with HSLD and local business owners, who are trying to build New Mexico Motorplex..... maybe these are the people you've met?
Woman arrested as Spaceport trucks roll | KRQE News 13 New Mexico

Hot Springs Motorplex Development - Home

People who reside in the area, at least the majority of them want these good positive things to happen to this area. It would be good for our economy, and they would provide jobs and revenue for us all.
You just wait, 5 to 10 years from now, there'll be so many positive things which will have happened to the area, you'll have to pinch yourself to believe where you're at. I live in Elephant Butte, and welcome business expansion of any type.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,910 times
I don't know if it's ever been uphill, but there was a sense of hopefulness among the people when I lived there.

When I said I was surprised to see the new Walmart, it was a pleasant surprise - Walmart is great when you're on the road, and I stocked up there. This may be beyond the point but, also, Walmart has an extremely advanced competitive intelligence apparatus, and their interest is a sign that the town is up-and-coming.

I can only hope that you, and Walmart, are right and that TorC will prosper in future years. My sense in April was that it had been hit pretty hard by the economy, but I see there are good things happening and good people who care about the fate of the town and its surrounding areas.

Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Rockys bar has been closed for about 5 years.
The city has gone down hill and you've met some strange people?
Has the city ever been up hill? Other than the battles the activists waged on the P&Z Commission and the City Council to try to get things built here and to attract people.... They tried not to let walmart get built, then tried to stop the spaceport construction, they've quarreled with HSLD and local business owners, who are trying to build New Mexico Motorplex..... maybe these are the people you've met?
Woman arrested as Spaceport trucks roll | KRQE News 13 New Mexico

Hot Springs Motorplex Development - Home

People who reside in the area, at least the majority of them want these good positive things to happen to this area. It would be good for our economy, and they would provide jobs and revenue for us all.
You just wait, 5 to 10 years from now, there'll be so many positive things which will have happened to the area, you'll have to pinch yourself to believe where you're at. I live in Elephant Butte, and welcome business expansion of any type.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,223,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyBumpkins View Post
I don't know if it's ever been uphill, but there was a sense of hopefulness among the people when I lived there.

When I said I was surprised to see the new Walmart, it was a pleasant surprise - Walmart is great when you're on the road, and I stocked up there. This may be beyond the point but, also, Walmart has an extremely advanced competitive intelligence apparatus, and their interest is a sign that the town is up-and-coming.

I can only hope that you, and Walmart, are right and that TorC will prosper in future years. My sense in April was that it had been hit pretty hard by the economy, but I see there are good things happening and good people who care about the fate of the town and its surrounding areas.

Best wishes.
The time you "passed thru" might mean alot.
New O'Reilly's auto parts, New NAPA auto parts, some new entities (business ventures) downtown,
Hopelessness? I doubt it, but you're entitled to your own opinions,
I live in the Butte, and have never witnessed what you're describing, and I go to T or C nearly every day.
I can tell you, T or C has faced many legal challenges, up hill all the way. In the end, dragging the city and local businesses though muck and legal battles has worn heavily on people who wish to see the city prosper. The activists as they call themselves even had made ludacris claims that the newspapers, or anyone who can disagree with their points of view, are liars, cowards, and less of a human being than you and I. Walmart was one business who wanted to build in T or C, but it's completion was delayed 8 months due to legal wrangling by these incestors.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
Maybe the "incestors" want Tor C to stay undeveloped and cheap? Business development generally leads to increasing housing and general costs. Increased population increases government costs.
Maybe the "incestors" are onto something. Small is good and small is cheap.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 PM

206 posts, read 531,994 times
It's funny how a whole town can give off weird vibes, Iv'e encountered the same thing in Bisbee Az. It's become a gathering place for misfits and lost souls..

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 AM

9 posts, read 17,967 times
Truth or COnsequences is a beautiful town safe as a bedbug walking at 11:00 pm by myself the 5 blocks to the gas station for a soda I have lived here for 10 years and I truly love it I think the pics you are looking at were taken in the winter (if your looking on the google maps thing) I think the green comes and goes I own a seasonal nursery plants I sell close to 10000 plants a year so I try to make it colorful, I do my part! I even have grass in my yard lots of it and it grows just fine just get the right kinds of plants and the right place to put them and they will grow!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
Default truth or consequences

what was I thinking when I moved to that place! NM has great scenery, but when it comes to actually staying there until I die, forget it.
I met alot of nice people, and god bless em. I found the majority seem to want a free ride, literally. Some actually have the nerve to ask to borrow
your car......or money. don't think so. And the doctors in T or C, are not exactly ......well, I won't go there. I can appreciate the weather, but that's about it. I got tired of living there, because there is really nothing to do. Las Cruces is nice, but I got sick of drving there everytime I had to see a real doctor. I guess I could've moved there, but after 3 years in that state, I had enough.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM

4,920 posts, read 7,285,539 times
Looks like you failed to research the Truth of living in the place before moving there and so suffered the Consequences of your bad decision. Poetic justice.

Why anyone with health issues would move to a place that's far from the appropriate provider is beyond me. And that includes just about everyone. So who are you calling stupid?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
I agree I will never visit Truth Or Consequences EVER again! It scared me and felt VERY creepy. Everyone was strange and seemed like they were part of a satanic cult. As well as not very pleased with our presence the vibe was very yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico