U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,268,200 times
Default New Mexico's Biggest Boomtown

Its not Albuquerque?, Rio Rancho??.. Farmington or Las Cruces?

Well believe it or not CLOVIS, Is New Mexico's biggest boomtown. While many communities are struggling with the economy, Clovis is booming, with home sales surpassing Albuquerque, Farmington and Las Cruces combined.This is due to the Canon Air Force base. It plans to bring over 5,000 more people to the base.

Clovis real estate booms

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 AM

33,256 posts, read 27,250,049 times
The result of another Federal subsidy. Just what does our military need Cannon AFB for anyway.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,029,853 times
It would make me nervous for so much growth tied to one employer. Anyone remember Roswell in the 60's when the AFB closed down? Roswell was the second largest city in the state at that time; they are still recovering.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM

13,007 posts, read 11,626,114 times
I remember very well Domino. My older brother's high school buddy was stationed at the Walker base in the early 60's. When operations ceased the town went into a tailspin, especially the housing around RIAC. Then a couple decades later with a few plant closings (the Levi jeans plant comes to mind) didn't help matters much.

Five thousand people sounds like a lot, as it seems that only a few years ago the previous regime in the White House had Cannon AFB marked for closing. But, like Roswell, I want Clovis to thrive. Growth is ok as long as its managed.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-11-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 AM

16,813 posts, read 17,024,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The result of another Federal subsidy. Just what does our military need Cannon AFB for anyway.
You don't believe in the Department of Defense? How much defense do we need?

Rich

Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM

74 posts, read 126,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich
Planes need room to do training, has anyone seen the growth at the losing base in FL? Getting crowded over here and more coming in soon.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM

5,000 are expected to move in, thats all I know. It probably will jump the population about 8,000 more on top of its 33,182.. they will probably need to build a new high school.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,038,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Technically, the original question was what is Cannon AFB good for?

He didn't say anything about not believing in the DoD. (He didn't say he did or did not.)

For the purposes of the NM forum, it would be good to know just what each Federal facility ( at least the major ones ) are specifically for. That is, why do we need that facility here and not have the operations consolidated with some other facility - thereby saving money and getting more efficiency out of each dollar spent.

Just keeping a base somewhere because of the jobs and benefits to the local economy is not a reason for keeping the base. If one is *really* for a strong national defense, it shouldn't even enter into the consideration.

Being against any specific (defense) spending is not the same as being against the overall idea (of national defense).

A good parallel is my opposition to a Central Avenue Trolley, but my general favorable attitude toward mass and rapid transit.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
A good parallel is my opposition to a Central Avenue Trolley, but my general favorable attitude toward mass and rapid transit.
Com'on Mort, We need a Street Car for Central.. We are falling behind and we are not competing with the cities our size..

Look at Tuscon, They have a wonderful street car that will soon be in operation.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,038,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Com'on Mort, We need ....
If you want to argue about it with me, put it in the right thread trolley .
I'm always game(y).

My comment you quoted was an analogy to the actual topic as way of explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico