U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM

16,813 posts, read 17,024,289 times
Quote:
Would you drive 2hrs to work each way? To live where you wanted to?

Would you drive or know anyone that drives 2hrs to work one way?

Is it crazy to drive 2hrs to work? I know google and yahoo say it's a 3hr drive but I make it in 2hrs and change.
I drove 99 miles one way to work which took two hours, but it was only 10 days per month and I did it for 10 years.

I know people who did it every day and I know people who drove further.

You think your are getting paid more, but are you really making more? Have you figured cost of the vehicle, operational costs, maintenance costs and possible increase of insurance?

If google says it takes 3 hours, then you are kidding yourself if you think you can can beat that every day. Google says El Paso to Ruidoso 138 mi about 2 hours 44 mins.

But in your case, I would say no....

Rich
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,238,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Why don't you move to Alamogordo?
Good idea why not split the difference.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 AM

409 posts, read 824,557 times
I commute 40 minutes, my husband an hour. I don't really mind the commute because I have so much to think about (work wise) before and after work that I'm home in no time. Plus, I know work 4-twelve hour days. My husband HATES the commute. He works 5 days. The only reason I would ever ever consider it is if it were 150% my dream job and 150% my dream home. See if the work schedule can bee 4 days instead of your normal 5. Even one day helps...also keep in mind where gas prices are headed...

Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 AM

409 posts, read 824,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
Good idea why not split the difference.
Thats how we do it..otherwise it would never be fair!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 AM

3,667 posts, read 5,047,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I drove 99 miles one way to work which took two hours, but it was only 10 days per month and I did it for 10 years.

I know people who did it every day and I know people who drove further.

You think your are getting paid more, but are you really making more? Have you figured cost of the vehicle, operational costs, maintenance costs and possible increase of insurance?

If google says it takes 3 hours, then you are kidding yourself if you think you can can beat that every day. Google says El Paso to Ruidoso 138 mi about 2 hours 44 mins.

But in your case, I would say no....

Rich

Actually he is not to far off and alot depends on where he is working at in El Paso. It takes the guys who live in El Paso about an hour to get here and it's only an additional 43 miles to Ruidoso. Especially if you take the truck loop around Alamo that cuts dealing with all the lights in Alamo.

That being said personally for me I would not want my hubby to have to make that drive.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Google says El Paso to Ruidoso 138 mi about 2 hours 44 mins.Rich
I've done El Paso to Ruidoso in less than 2 hours many times. I take the bypass at Alamogordo to Tularosa. I drive about 5-9 miles an hour over the speed limit. First hour is about as boring as can be!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 AM

48,296 posts, read 38,853,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
To live where you wanted to?

I'm having this debate with myself. I work a 12hr shift that's 4 on 4 off and my wife has the chance to make very good money in Ruidoso. But we live in El Paso where I work. Would you drive or know anyone that drives 2hrs to work one way?

I love Ruidoso and the green mixed with the cold winters. Love cold hate hot.

Is it crazy to drive 2hrs to work? I know google and yahoo say it's a 3hr drive but I make it in 2hrs and change.
are you kidding, work a 12 hour swift and spend 4 hours in the car? I wouldn't even consider it..

What about the ware and tear on the car?

Nita

Old 06-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I'm having this debate with myself.
I am assuming one of you wins. Which one?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:59 PM

3,214 posts, read 5,660,595 times
No way...

Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 PM

4,138 posts, read 5,481,539 times
Well I said I would buy a honda (used) for the commute since my DD is a '06 gto. Operational costs on a honda civic are pretty much nothing. But like others have said it's a 2 hr drive and change not 3 hrs. I think yahoo nor google have actually driven the route.

And I'm not willing to move to Alamogordo, it's not Ruidoso and I want my wife so have a short commute to work. I'm leaning towards getting a motel for when I'm to tired to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico