U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2009, 05:10 PM

50,066 posts, read 42,427,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I just don't see that. I thought this at first when I moved here over 4 years ago, but I've learned a valuable lesson, (I think) since living here: pocketbook issues trump the moral issues. That is to say, for example, if one advocates the expansion of section 8, welfare, WIC, and the usual goodies, but is pro-choice, the perspective rank and file NM voter is going to opt for the freebies over a moral stance. Not everyone, but most. And for that reason, I think NM is going to remain left of center for the remainder of my lifetime.
Mike, I agree with you and that was one of the things we could not handle about NM. As I have mentioned many times, basically we love the state and miss our friends, our church and lots of other things including Hatch chili, but your perception is right on. It is too bad, too many do not even realize this. They just know that if the government wants to help them it must be a good thing so vote for whoever promises help.

NIta
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,859,126 times
Yes, I'm waiting for the ultimate liberalism to strike Sierra County, and give me free housing, and all the other freebies I'm entitled to. I already have a EBT card. I just love free stuff.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Yes, I'm waiting for the ultimate liberalism to strike Sierra County, and give me free housing, and all the other freebies I'm entitled to. I already have a EBT card. I just love free stuff.
you know what? the sad thing is you probably are waiting..

Nita

Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know what? the sad thing is you probably are waiting..

Nita
I am, and am as liberal as a Kennedy! I know what you are.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,315,625 times
At he risk of preventing the thread from veering into a political argument, it depends on where you are. The eastern part near TX is like an extension of West Texas (conservative), while the north is more liberal. One can look at city-data.com itself to see how people voted in different places in NM in 2004.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
At he risk of preventing the thread from veering into a political argument,
It's not any of my business, but when we (CD Users) signed up to post in a forum, we agreed to post and/or begin thread in the proper forum. I don't see how this thread ever made it here without being moved, or for that matter, boiling over. I sort of think people who've posted here have shown excellent restraint in not letting it happen, because most of us know the clear definition of (conservative and liberal) when employing these two words to a political climate.

No offense catman, but I did 6 weeks basic training at Lackland AFB in the early 1970's, and I disliked Texas so bad, I would not give 2 cents for the whole state. It's not quite liberal enough for me.

Quote:
it depends on where you are. The eastern part near TX is like an extension of West Texas (conservative), while the north is more liberal. One can look at city-data.com itself to see how people voted in different places in NM in 2004.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
At he risk of preventing the thread from veering into a political argument, it depends on where you are. The eastern part near TX is like an extension of West Texas (conservative), while the north is more liberal. One can look at city-data.com itself to see how people voted in different places in NM in 2004.
glad you used 2004 and not 2008. Too many love to refer to 2008 as the trend the country is taking. I have said many times, that is like looking at 1980 as an indicater of the future of this country.

Nita

Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 AM

97 posts, read 148,482 times
As the one who began this thread,let me say,I am very glad everyone has decided to forge ahead,and continue posting here.
I hadn't realized that creating this thread would've moved it.As a relative newbie here,I am still learning.
Again,thanks to all.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 PM

97 posts, read 148,482 times
Default oops

I meant,possibly moved.........

Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,315,625 times
Default No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
No offense catman, but I did 6 weeks basic training at Lackland AFB in the early 1970's, and I disliked Texas so bad, I would not give 2 cents for the whole state. It's not quite liberal enough for me.
No offense taken. The stranglehold by the conservatives here is a good reason not to like it. I like Texas a lot in some ways, but that isn't one of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico