U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,314,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Roads yes, public sewer/water NO to your question. And your point is?
Oh, ah haaaaaaa, so he really isn't self sufficient after all, because he uses public roads!!!!!!!!!!! I know, GOTCHA!
Grows his own veggies, buys canned goods.
GOTCHA, hombre57 caught lying again!
OK, he lives like a HERMIT. He doesn't brew his own gasoline for his scooter. His carbon footprint compared to YOURS? zilch
His leechiness compared to mine: high. I pay taxes.

And by the way, a scooter will have quite a high carbon footprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,832,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
His leechiness compared to mine: high. I pay taxes.
How do you figure?
Quote:
And by the way, a scooter will have quite a high carbon footprint.
I don't think so.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 AM

6,780 posts, read 7,022,345 times
He is not quite Don Schraeder though ,is he...

:-)

ABQConvict

Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
He is not quite Don Schraeder though ,is he...

:-)

ABQConvict
Other than the nudity part, my old friend would be a pretty close tie. Although he is not an artist (define artist anyway you wish)
he does some pretty unorthodox things and has some unique practices. He doesn't waste much at all, if any. I tried once to delve into his mind, to find out if he were republican or democrat, with no clean cut answer. But I can say this, he is very, very conservatively minded: against any type of abortion, against any type of excess Government spending, thinks Government was way too big a long, long time ago, and thinks the end is near (some kind of religion-other than christianity)
BTW, I guess ever since his vietnam tour of duty, he's been anti-government since, does not vote, does not file 1040's. Feels that what he does with his own personal life, and not yours, mine, nor the Government's business.

Definitely a strange bird.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
How do you figure?
How do I figure? He uses public infrastructure and doesn't pay taxes for it. I pay taxes. I pay a lot of taxes.

Quote:
I don't think so.
Yeah, I suppose 1/4th the C02 of an SUV is "zilch"
Give a Scooter, Pollute Her - The Straight Dope - Washington City Paper

Not to mention that they are very dirty, polluting little things.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM

6,780 posts, read 7,022,345 times
Scooters are fairly polluting, pound for pound, but the costly maintenance of roads and bridges is mainly due to the effect of 3,500 to 5,000+ vehicles crushing the frost, rain and heat damaged surfaces. Scooters and bicycles by contrast would take centuries to do that to a simple bike path much less a highly engineered road surface. In fact, grass is more damaging to road surfaces than lightweight personal transport.

ABQConvict

Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
How do I figure? He uses public infrastructure and doesn't pay taxes for it. I pay taxes. I pay a lot of taxes.

Yeah, I suppose 1/4th the C02 of an SUV is "zilch"
Give a Scooter, Pollute Her - The Straight Dope - Washington City Paper

Not to mention that they are very dirty, polluting little things.
Well, here it is, and the emissions report too. Dirty? Define dirty please.

http://www.magchargr.com/images/tests/PCD_Tests.pdf

Using public infrastructure and doesn't pay for it? how do you figure? he pays sales tax on non food items, federal and state tax for the fuel and oils the scooter uses, pays tax on nearly everything he buys, except foods. Taxes on fuels and oils pays for roads. So, this means he does not whip out his tax exempt card often, I doubt he even has a tax exempt card.

Keep being critical of a hermit I've told you all about, as I can see some of you are jumping to conclusions already, it must be the jealousy factor setting in, knowing someone produces a small footprint while you can't with your gas guzzeling SUV's and soccermom mini-vans. You're just jealous because you can't live like he does. I know I couldn't, it would be impossible for me, since I'm accustomed to living high off the hog.
Attached Thumbnails
OK, NM conservative or liberal?-2003-suzuki-dr-z125.jpg  

Last edited by Hombre57; 11-30-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I used to have a friend who thought just like this (bolded, underlined, etc.) and he hasn't paid or filed taxes in 16 years, and is self sufficient, he doesn't rely on anything from state or US Government
Quote:
Using public infrastructure and doesn't pay for it? how do you figure?
Well, you're the one who said he doesn't pay taxes. How about the infrastructure of police & fire & the military that protects him. Or are you saying his standard of living would be exactly the same in some third world country?

Quote:
Keep being critical of a hermit I've told you all about
I'll be critical of anyone who doesn't pay taxes like everyone else. I don't care if it's a hermit or a bazillionaire. I hear Mexico has one of the lowest tax burdens. Maybe your hermit friend ought to move there, and enjoy whatever level of service the Mexican government can provide. He can ride his moped on a toll road and pay bribes to cops that want to shake him down.

Quote:
I can see some of you are jumping to conclusions already, it must be the jealousy factor setting in, knowing someone produces a small footprint while you can't with your gas guzzeling SUV's and soccermom mini-vans. You're just jealous because you can't live like he does. I know I couldn't, it would be impossible for me, since I'm accustomed to living high off the hog.
How ironic.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Well, you're the one who said he doesn't pay taxes. How about the infrastructure of police & fire & the military that protects him. Or are you saying his standard of living would be exactly the same in some third world country?
ummmm, let's see.
He doesn't file or pay taxes, meaning 1040. (I guess even if you owe nothing you're required to file) (he never received his $250 stimulus money last year, he doesn't want it) So, in essence, he's not paying taxes, except what I mentioned in my last post. Off the grid living in a 12 or 14 foot trailer in the desert, and does work/chores to pay his rent/electric and water is from a well. I'd say he's living like a 3rd. world countryman. Doesn't consume meat, but does buy canned tuna, chicken, etc..
Protection? I would have to say that if his little bitty trailer caught fire, it would be toast by the time volunteer firefighters got their boots on.
More on protection....He probably has an arsenal larger than a small local police department. He's told me before that if America is ever invaded by a foreign force, or if the U.S. Military tries to take him over, he will head for the mountains and fight if he must. Sounds like a right wing patriot to me.

Quote:
I'll be critical of anyone who doesn't pay taxes like everyone else. I don't care if it's a hermit or a bazillionaire. I hear Mexico has one of the lowest tax burdens. Maybe your hermit friend ought to move there, and enjoy whatever level of service the Mexican government can provide. He can ride his moped on a toll road and pay bribes to cops that want to shake him down.

How ironic.
Mexico?
I guess I've lost you. But I think you're ironic.
There are some people who do live off the grid throughout the United States. Toll roads indeed.
So, could you live like a hermit, off the grid?
You sound like a federalist. Everyone registers as a U.S. Citizen, even if they're already a citizen. And you must pay taxes and tolls, and you must tell Uncle Sam of your whereabouts, or move to Mexcio! Scary.
I don't think I want to post here any longer, it's difficult to carry on a reasonable conversation. adios

Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM

750 posts, read 1,955,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
...many, if not all, of the government "assistance" programs that currently exist have no Constitutional basis for existing in the first place. The collection of taxes for these programs is then akin to trespass or theft.

Chap
This is simply not true. Junior high civics classes should have covered this.
Hmmmm. It seems I may have been absent on the particular day that they discussed the portion of the Constitution that authorized the Federal government to forcibly take earned money from one person and give it to another.

If I held a gun to your head, reached into your pocket, took a "fair" portion of of the money contained therein, and "provided assistance" to the next poor schlub that walked past, I don't think most people would have a difficult time characterizing that as theft.

The Federal government essentially does the same thing, only on a much larger scale.

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico