Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
OK, we both win! Compared to Santa Fe and Taos counties, Dona Ana is conservative. Compared to Chaves, Otero, Lea, Eddy, Curry, Otero, and San Juan counties, Dona Ana is liberal.
You got it down pretty pat!!!!

and now I am off to play some bridge, will pick this up again when I get back this afternoon.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You got it down pretty pat!!!!

and now I am off to play some bridge, will pick this up again when I get back this afternoon.

NIta
I was surprised that Obama carried Los Alamos - is the LANL not into Cold War stuff as much anymore ? Because Republicans always used to do well there. Same with Bernalillo and Sandoval.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
OK, we both win! Compared to Santa Fe and Taos counties, Dona Ana is conservative. Compared to Chaves, Otero, Lea, Eddy, Curry, Otero, and San Juan counties, Dona Ana is liberal.
Add Lincoln county to the relatively conservative list, and you have it.

I still have my eye on Santa Fe for a move later, but I am really not sure that I could stomach the liberalism (and to me it's extreme) that is prevalent.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Most of those were elected in 2008, what happened last year isn't representative of anything except what a disaster the republican party was in NM particularly. When Steve Pearce decided to run for senator and having no chance to win, everything turned around. What a dumb move!!!

Kathy, I will wish him luck but I happen to have a special reason to really dislike him...

Nita
I have to disagree. I think what we saw in the 2008 election, particularly in Las Cruces, confirmed what the author was suggesting. Best example, I think, was the outcome of the race for State Senate in the 37th district where a progressive newcomer bested a long-seated (16 years) conservative (R) incumbent.

"Except for a tiny sliver of Doña Ana County in the district of Sen. Dianna Duran, R-Tularosa, all of the county is now represented by Democrats in the Roundhouse.
Fischmann will be one of eight new senators sworn in Tuesday, all but one a Democrat. The majority party picked up three new seats in the Senate to increase its advantage to 27-15, and added three seats in the House, where it now has a 45-25 margin"

Steve Fischmann - New Mexico Senator

Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I used to vote Democrat but I would be Republican except for all the policies that are decided on the basis of religion (these policies, incidentally, skew republicans toward bigger government). If you want to live in a theocracy, found your own country.

I think many New Mexicans fall into a similar category.

ABQConvict

Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I used to vote Democrat but I would be Republican except for all the policies that are decided on the basis of religion (these policies, incidentally, skew republicans toward bigger government). If you want to live in a theocracy, found your own country.

I think many New Mexicans fall into a similar category.

ABQConvict
I would say then, Convict, that you likely would identify most closely with the Libertarian Party? [EG: fiscally conservative, scope of gov't conservative, socially liberal]

Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Add Lincoln county to the relatively conservative list, and you have it.

I still have my eye on Santa Fe for a move later, but I am really not sure that I could stomach the liberalism (and to me it's extreme) that is prevalent.

and also Roosevelt County, and now we have it

Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have to disagree. I think what we saw in the 2008 election, particularly in Las Cruces, confirmed what the author was suggesting. Best example, I think, was the outcome of the race for State Senate in the 37th district where a progressive newcomer bested a long-seated (16 years) conservative (R) incumbent.

"Except for a tiny sliver of Doña Ana County in the district of Sen. Dianna Duran, R-Tularosa, all of the county is now represented by Democrats in the Roundhouse.
Fischmann will be one of eight new senators sworn in Tuesday, all but one a Democrat. The majority party picked up three new seats in the Senate to increase its advantage to 27-15, and added three seats in the House, where it now has a 45-25 margin"

Steve Fischmann - New Mexico Senator
And why don't you think 2008 was an unusual year throughout all of the country? Do you remember 1980 when the republicans ruled because of the presidentual candidate more than anything? My point is, things may have been a little different if the national election had been different. The next 2 to 6 years will tell the story..Then we will have a better picture or where we are headed.

Nita

Old 07-10-2009, 05:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
and also Roosevelt County, and now we have it
Hmmmm...I wonder about Union (Clayton) and Quay (Tucumcari) also. I think that all of the counties that border Texas (with the possible exception of Dona Ana) would probably be more or less conservative.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Sorry if I left anyone off my list, I didn't mean for my list of counties to be all inclusive. I thought I would just hit the highlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico