Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM

19 posts, read 68,825 times

Advertisements

This is not a happy post and I will be vy brief.

I live in California and have visited NM once. We Are going to make a retirement move and this BB is valuable for us.

During this process someone here sent me a PM making comments that I was not welcome and bad things could happen to me and my family.

During this, we were trying to find a Real Estate person to help us. I wrote to three. All replied but when CA was mentioned, one asked for an interview and listed the questions she was going to ask. None related to buying a home in NM. The other, I talked to by the phone a few times and she just quit. The third laughed on the phone when CA was mentioned.

I then read a old thread here about crime in different NM towns and with the e-mail showed it to a local policeman. He said call the FBI in NM re any threats. So, I called a field agent and had a long chat. He said essentially Northern New Mexico was not where I wanted to settle. Ok, I believe him.

So what is my point. The MLS web sites in NM are excellent. One home was all but sold if we could see it in person. The agent told me "You will need snowshoes to get there in the Winter and laughed. Main Point: THE PERSON owing that home will never know there was a strong buyer interested in their home.

The irony is I was born in Northern Canada and my wife in Northern Sweden and we have much harsher winters with no sunlight compared to you folks.

Maybe California is a four letter word in NM. I don't care anymore. I did note that the place we liked had a 250 day wait in selling homes. In other words, put up your home and the average sales takes place 250 days later. That's a long time.

I have saved the PM and now read it as a person who was trying to be helpful. He was just a tad too blunt for my wife.

All the movement from CA is due to the Federal tax law regarding the one time sales of your primary residence. You do not have to pay tax on the first 500,000 if over 55 of age. That is why CA folks go to Nevada, AZ. and Oregon in mass.

I never knew there was this feeling against CA in New Mexico. I must be clear, it was said about northern NM.

The FBI agent told me to stay near your children when you retire or move to AZ, which makes sense.

We canceled our vacation and plans to move to NM. I have skimmed the Montana BB here and there are posts similar. CA, stay away.

So sell your home to locals. Keeps taxes down and keep the population small. In a way, I can understand that. Are there that many locals to sell your home to. And what if you must sell quickly? I also was told n.NM was the home of Billy the Kid. Don't know what that means. The areas we were interested in were not Santa Fe or Taos.

The End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,629,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikey View Post
This is not a happy post and I will be vy brief.

I live in California and have visited NM once. We Are going to make a retirement move and this BB is valuable for us.

During this process someone here sent me a PM making comments that I was not welcome and bad things could happen to me and my family.

During this, we were trying to find a Real Estate person to help us. I wrote to three. All replied but when CA was mentioned, one asked for an interview and listed the questions she was going to ask. None related to buying a home in NM. The other, I talked to by the phone a few times and she just quit. The third laughed on the phone when CA was mentioned.

I then read a old thread here about crime in different NM towns and with the e-mail showed it to a local policeman. He said call the FBI in NM re any threats. So, I called a field agent and had a long chat. He said essentially Northern New Mexico was not where I wanted to settle. Ok, I believe him.

So what is my point. The MLS web sites in NM are excellent. One home was all but sold if we could see it in person. The agent told me "You will need snowshoes to get there in the Winter and laughed. Main Point: THE PERSON owing that home will never know there was a strong buyer interested in their home.

The irony is I was born in Northern Canada and my wife in Northern Sweden and we have much harsher winters with no sunlight compared to you folks.

Maybe California is a four letter word in NM. I don't care anymore. I did note that the place we liked had a 250 day wait in selling homes. In other words, put up your home and the average sales takes place 250 days later. That's a long time.

I have saved the PM and now read it as a person who was trying to be helpful. He was just a tad too blunt for my wife.

All the movement from CA is due to the Federal tax law regarding the one time sales of your primary residence. You do not have to pay tax on the first 500,000 if over 55 of age. That is why CA folks go to Nevada, AZ. and Oregon in mass.

I never knew there was this feeling against CA in New Mexico. I must be clear, it was said about northern NM.

The FBI agent told me to stay near your children when you retire or move to AZ, which makes sense.

We canceled our vacation and plans to move to NM. I have skimmed the Montana BB here and there are posts similar. CA, stay away.

So sell your home to locals. Keeps taxes down and keep the population small. In a way, I can understand that. Are there that many locals to sell your home to. And what if you must sell quickly? I also was told n.NM was the home of Billy the Kid. Don't know what that means. The areas we were interested in were not Santa Fe or Taos.

The End.
Honestly, I don't get the anti-CA thing at all. I don't live in north NM, so I cannot speak to attitudes up there, but, down south, we aren't quite so willing to turn away money, even from out-of-staters One of our newly elected state senators is himself a CA transplant...
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a poor introduction to our state. I hope you find happiness wherever you choose to resettle.
P.S. Billy the Kid was from Lincoln, NM. Not exactly the northern part of the state.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,247,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
P.S. Billy the Kid was from Lincoln, NM. Not exactly the northern part of the state.
One of the Kid's hideouts is still on Sudderth in Ruidoso.

Dowlin's Historic Old Mill - Billy The Kid Hideout - The oldest building in Ruidoso still has a working flour mill run by a water wheel. 641 Sudderth Drive, Ruidoso, New Mexico

Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM

19 posts, read 68,825 times
Another irony. If am what you would call somewhat of a mountain man. Tall, full beard, long hair w pony tail and I really don't like people. I had an occupation that tried to help people. A person would come to my office, light up and say they were depressed. I was nice for 25 years, then got the message that the best thing these folks could do was to shut up, quit smoking and get to work. I really lost it here and wanted to move where we would not even see a person. I told the first agent, I want to look outside and see no one. So I probably would be a good fit in a rural area like n. NM.

Basically, I want to fish, write, and go with nature. The e-mail said CA folks know it all and want to change things. Hell I don't even want to talk to anyone.

I dislike the potty mouth CA folks as much as anyone.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM

99 posts, read 314,733 times
Default Try Silver city !

The description of yourself fits many of the folks who live here in silver. Granted it is an "artsy" town. It is also a very tolerant town towards appearance, ethnic background, religion, or where you are from. The most important thing is how you treat other people. I am in my 70's and moved here from Michigan 16 years ago. This place has made me a better person. One complaint about Californians is that they move to this small town and then complain because we don't have malls and the other amenities of big towns. My reply is sorry then go back home ! Most folks here are wonderful people. Keep an open mind and look around.
PS: Billy the Kid lived here too. His Mom is buried here.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,113,556 times
But all you have to do to be a New Mexican is move there and try not to bring your previous residence's attitudes along with you. In other words, take a big chill pill and relax.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
I think you ran into a bunch of jerks. I have visited NM and was treated just like anybody else. Mostly friendly folk and one jerk.

Before moving I suggest you take a couple of weeks and drive around the area you are interested in moving to. Don't take the word of some realtor that Kalifornians are not wanted. Actually I think they do not want Marin County snobs but someone from Antelope Valley would be OK.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 AM

99 posts, read 314,733 times
Default To Rikey

I went back and reread your posting about "I really don't like people". Maybe that's the problem and other folks can detect that. You have a right to feel that way, but then don't expect others to like you.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,170,438 times
I can see the distress and disappointment in your post, but I can't believe you let long distance communications via phone and email rule things for you. You're really thinking about buying a home in NM after visiting once? I understand the desire to move here after one visit...that happens a lot, happened to me 30+ years ago...but to actually DO it without spending some time here is a mistake, IMHO.
VISIT New Mexico...drive around..spend a few days, or better yet, a few weeks, poking around and talking to people who actually live here. You'll find a fair amount of regional differences..not to mention the contrast between Santa Fe/Taos and most of the rest of NM.
VISIT the towns you think you might like...talk to a professional real estate agent(s) (not part-time hobbyist/dilettantes) in person. Go places you never even thought about visiting.
You're bound to run into anti-immigrant, anti-CA, anti-tourist sentiment here...but it's mostly blockheads who don't realize that New Mexico would not be nearly as good a place as it is without the very people the morons diss at every opportunity.
The vast, vast majority of long time and newish NM residents are friendly, welcoming people. Smile, ask some questions, don't make speeches, but listen to them...you'll like what you hear (mostly
I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new home...I've found mine in S. New Mexico, bought it, and haven't regretted it for a second. It's not perfect..what is?....but NM is a great place. Bienvenidos

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,042,973 times
Quote:

This is not a happy post .... laughed on the phone when CA was mentioned.

... someone here sent me a PM making comments that I was not
welcome and bad things could happen to me and my family. ...

... old thread here about crime in different NM towns ...
... feeling against CA in New Mexico ...
No. This is a totally paranoid post. No one knows who you are and thus any threats via DM are meaningless. There are lots of whack-jobs on the internet and some of them hang out here. Anyone can post or say anything they want as long as it conforms to the TOS.

I can't imagine shopping for homes remotely anyway. You have admitted that you have only been here once, how would you know where you want to live out the rest of your life without exploring around?

Almost everyone out there who is remote and posting from places like CA and NH have a thorough knowledge of the area they are interested in and can ask specific questions that are answerable.

Quote:
This is the second time you have posted this and it is INCORRECT for the second time.
It doesn't matter how many times you post this it will continue to be incorrect every single friggin' time.

I've already explained - in detail - why your statement is wrong.
selling your friggin house
Do you even bother to read the responses to your posts?

The new thing you added was the "over 55" rule which is also not true.
The law applies equally to someone 25, 35 or 95. It doesn't matter how old you are.

One of the reasons that people have a built-in resentment of people moving from CA is that they come here with huge capital gains on houses and get all whiney about having to pay the ( low ) capital gains tax on the excess ( over the part that is completely free from tax). They didn't get that gain from making a good investment decision, they were just lucky with their circumstances and then complain about having to pay their fair share after a huge windfall that they really didn't deserve in the first place.

Then they come here and buy 6,000-7,000 sq ft trophy homes that are totally out of place where they build them. Then with all that leftover cash, they buy a sports car, a mobile home, a huge truck/SUV and so much crap that they can't find room to put their vehicles inside of their 4 or 5 car garage.

Don't believe me? Take a cruise through N. Sandia Acres sometime.

If this is not your intent then no one will suspect that you moved here from CA and will leave you alone. Tell them you are from AK or AR or MS or whatever.

Last edited by mortimer; 07-09-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico