U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 AM

4,470 posts, read 6,187,551 times

Advertisements

A friend of my up in Cloudcroft has a bear that has revisited him lately.
My friends son heard some noise and looked out and say the bear, he also got some pretty good photos of the bear riping down the hummingbird feeders (4) at a cost of $25.00 each.

So, he calls fish and game to see if they would trap the bear and relocated it.

They tell him, "you should not put out humming bird feeders"..

The bear has revisited and keeps knocking stuff over/down etc.

And in the village of Cloudcroft..no hunting etc, even during the season.

I told my friend to call F/G in Santa Fe...

Seems a bear that is damaging property needs to be relocated.

How many people put out feeders anyway...lots...

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,818,791 times
We had a bear that would get into our hot tub just over a year ago (June 2008) in Ruidoso. We locked down the top so he wouldn't be able to get in, but a few weeks later he came back and pretty much destroyed the top. The Forest Service was called and so was Fish and Game. They monitored the bear for awhile until he left the area on his own. They were prepared to relocate the bear if needed.

We do not have any humming bird feeders in Ruidoso as we are there only occasionally.

If you check out my profile there is a picture of the bear under "other pictures". He was just waking up in my backyard when I took the picture.

Last edited by JDTH; 07-16-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 PM

7,251 posts, read 16,007,016 times
So put out food for the bears and they'll leave the hummingbird feeders alone.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM

137 posts, read 401,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
So put out food for the bears and they'll leave the hummingbird feeders alone.

My thought, too!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,616,320 times
If it were me, I wouldn't be feeding any critters, period. Bears will eventually find their way into the home, and by then, it'll be too late, a person will be mauled, a dog/cat/ or other pet will be snatched, or the bear will be killed. It sometimes doesn't end up being a happy ending. sorry to say.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,402,075 times
Feed a bear and you create a monster who will never leave people alone- anywhere- and will probably end up being killed because of it.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 6,491 times
Totally agree. A fed bear is a dead bear.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:21 PM

7,251 posts, read 16,007,016 times
Default My serious answer to this

I actually wouldn't start feeding a bear either as much as I would like to and as much as I think I'm doing them a favor. It is a mistake.
I would take the hummer feeders down for a few days and see if that helps keep your bear friend away along with calling the Forest service or whoever you call when seeing a bear. Maybe they can tranquilize him/her and put him/her more into the woods or forest to save his/her life.
I don't like to hear about animals losing there lives because of something stupid a human did that can be prevented.
To get slightly off topic here, I was watching a show where this woman ignored a sign at a zoo and got within a few feet of a polar bear to take a picture and the polar bear grabbed her leg and wouldn't let go. I didn't finish watching to see if the bear was punished for the woman being an idiot but the woman ended up living. God forbid if the woman gets pregnant and decides to have more imbeciles in this world like herself. Duh, did she think the bear was not going to get ahold of her?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 AM

1,754 posts, read 3,402,075 times
In that situation Song, I think the Darwin Awards should be used as a viable defense for the poor bear!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM

405 posts, read 1,120,163 times
Just as I posted on one of Hunter Wold's previous threads:

There is a reason that every animal roams where it does: food, water and shelter. When you rid that area of one animal and it becomes open for new taking, something else WILL move in, and chances are its going to be something you dislike even more that what came before it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico