Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 PM

139 posts, read 501,156 times

Advertisements

I frequently spend time trying to decide what states I would be willing to live in after college, and of course Southern California calls out, as well as Georgia, and possibly North Carolina. I never really considered New Mexico, but after spending a bit of time looking at pictures, and features of the state, it looks like it may be a nice place to live.

My main criteria is the weather. Michigan winters are killing me, and maybe after I leave for a few years I will come to miss the snow, but right now I'm ready to get out. The weather there looks nice, not overly hot like Phoenix and obviously much warmer than Michigan. The whole landscape looks interesting actually.

Of course there will need to be jobs, and I'm going into Information Systems, so I'm not sure how that outlook is there.

But overall is New Mexico as pleasant of a place as it seems to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
I frequently spend time trying to decide what states I would be willing to live in after college, and of course Southern California calls out, as well as Georgia, and possibly North Carolina. I never really considered New Mexico, but after spending a bit of time looking at pictures, and features of the state, it looks like it may be a nice place to live.

My main criteria is the weather. Michigan winters are killing me, and maybe after I leave for a few years I will come to miss the snow, but right now I'm ready to get out. The weather there looks nice, not overly hot like Phoenix and obviously much warmer than Michigan. The whole landscape looks interesting actually.

Of course there will need to be jobs, and I'm going into Information Systems, so I'm not sure how that outlook is there.

I am from IL and have been out here for 12 years in the winter, I can visit snow in the mts. I do not miss the midwest winter at all.
I love it here. Good luck on the job hunt.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
It could be, but you really need to come out and see it...

Rich

Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 PM

99 posts, read 315,449 times
Crayola,
We moved here from Michigan also 17 years ago. We live on the SW corner of the state at 6000ft altitude. This moderates the summer heat and you still get just a touch of winter snow. We left any ill feelings of Michigan behind and really enjoy it here.
Employment would probably be the #1 thing for you and jobs are not plentiful (nor anywhere else now). But you should come visit all parts of the state before deciding. There are parts of the state I would not want to live in due to weather or big cities. But that's just my feeling. Good Luck !

Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
NM is a wonderful state, with lots of scenery, low cost of living, nice climate and nice people. What more is there to say?

Nita

Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
40FORDJIM: Silver City sounds like a great place. The SW part of NM is the only part I've never been to. Maybe I'll make it to that part of the state this year! As a professional musician, I'm wondering whether there is any musical opportunity there.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM

99 posts, read 315,449 times
Silver city has a population around 10,000 right now. It is a small old western town. I seriously doubt that one could earn a living in the musical field. One would have to have some other primary job and there are very few. There is also a university here so there are many students that are employed at several locations.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Professional musicians are rather plentiful everywhere, like artists of other stripes. Unlikely to make a primary living of it in such a small town as Silver City unless you really are a Mozart or a Charlie Parker...even then it would probably be "iffy". Musicians need big cities...patrons...fans...mildly interested foot traffic... for the most part, unless you can create a recording studio, retreat to a NM forest, keep bees and specialize in fine woodworking (not nec. in that order) like the musician Deuter does!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: