Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 06:58 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I have not been witness to this but there are claims that one can ski on Ski Apache in the morning and golf in the afternoon in the winter in Ruidoso.
So true - but with the caveat that the grass is "winter dead" on the golf courses during those months. "Winter rules" apply - if you're a golfer you'll know what those rules generally are. The management also uses the spring/fall months for grooming the course - topsoiling/sanding the greens, etc. But most of the winter the courses are not snow covered - at least not entirely.

CAVEAT: Golf is NOT a cheap sport and especially so here in this tourist mecca. There are plenty of options for the general public to play but some of the courses are, of course, "members/guests only" and not open to the public. I count 8 public courses - if I include those at nearby Alamogordo, Cloudcroft and Carrizozo. Add to that at least five private or members-only courses. And more courses are in the plans for "future" developments!

And no wonder there is a water shortage here. Most people don't realize that to irrigate an 18 hole golf course - on the average - requires as much water as is used by a city of 30,000 people on a given day. And "on the average" doesn't apply to golf courses in hot arid climates! R.D. Hubbard (race track owner) was unable (I'm told) to acquire enough water for his new golf course called "The Hideout" and had to drill 2 MILES DEEP to bypass state regulations for pumping ground water without water rights. Legislation has been passed to prevent what would have been state-wide copycats doing the same thing.

An aside: The very first golf course in Ruidoso was (as I recall) only nine holes and the "greens" were OILED SAND - not grass - thereby obviating the need to irrigate. The "fairways" were simply the mowed native grasses with lots of naturally occurring bare spots.
The city-owned golf course in Carrizozo wasn't much better than that until recently - although they did irrigate the greens which had the usual short grass. A land developer has taken over maintenance of that course in a mutual agreement with the town, and I'm told that it's in much more playable condition now.

Last edited by jaxart; 10-18-2009 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
R.D. Hubbard (race track owner) was unable (I'm told) to acquire enough water for his new golf course called "The Hideout" and had to drill 2 MILES DEEP to bypass state regulations for pumping ground water without water rights. Legislation has been passed to prevent what would have been state-wide copycats doing the same thing.
If that is in the "Copper" development, it is directly west (upstream) of the land we bought, and I'm very grateful that people went to the trouble to sue him... else the water table would have been sucked down quite a bit.

Speaking of the water issues, as I recall reading in the paper awhile back, plans for a water park at the Swiss Chalet property were shot down because "concerned residents" feared that the water couldn't be spared. But a water park recycles their water, and uses *much* less than a golf course...

The Spencer has shows and plays on a regular basis, and the Inn of the Mountain Gods has concerts occasionally... but I haven't been to either.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times
The Spencer Theater is gorgeous. I've been there twice, a Buddy Holly tribute and Jesus Christ Superstar. Both were very good. The tickets were a little pricey, but we are supporting local business. I would hate to see it fail.

I think I was the only person wearing sneakers and shorts! I got some weird looks, but that's okay with me. I'm not out to please the others!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM

155 posts, read 375,867 times
When it comes to the water for the golf course; in my case, since it has been years since I have played a round of golf, I figure I will be in the rough more than the greens anyway, so it won't make much difference to me, green or brown..lol...

I have been in such a push going to college, building my business and my job, that I have really neglected spending leisure time with my wife as she really like to get out and see different things , so I am going to make a point to take time and experience the different things that Ruidoso has to offer, so I am really looking forward to check out Spencer Theater.

JDTH, good for you to be who you are, I always figure that if we are not trying to hurt anybody...be yourself! Sneakers and shorts sound good to me...Doesn't sound like there are too many stuffed shirts there anyway.

Back when I lived in Texas, I saw some real thunderstorms that California just doesn't have,,,Hope I get to hear some real thunder up there...

I sure wish the summer would hurry up and get here, I am really getting the itch to get movin up there.....
Have a great evening friends.
White Mountain.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,124 times
The golf is a bit pricey..One of the courses,Sierra Blanca, gives the locals a discount, around $40 green fee, if i remember correctly. Annual unlimited golf can be had a number of courses in $2500/yr. range..hope this helps..

Old 10-19-2009, 01:56 PM

The price does have a bite to it!!..ouch...
Maybe I won't get to play as much....Badminton anyone..
White Mountain....

Old 10-19-2009, 02:11 PM

In the winter in Scottsdale some of the green fees are in the $300-$400 range for 18 holes and the courses are filled every day.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM

JDTH, You get my DM?
Or maybe we can talk by phone? If that works then let me know through DM.
Thanks
White Mountain

Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM

I did. I thought I replied, but obviously I didn't. I just sent you another one. If that doesn't let me know.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM

JDTH,

I got your message back)..I have sent an email to her.,,,so hopefully I can get some promising info!
Thanks again
White Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico